» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What does it take for you to truly consider someone an 'intellectual'?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/10 at 11:53 pm

I, myself, do not consider myself an intellectual. I don't have the natural passion or the energy to read too much or learn.   :(

I think someone who is an intellectual has the natural energy and passion to read and process almost anything they see. Even if they're sick or depressed they can muster up the energy or interest in various subjects. I do not have the capability to do this; when I am depressed it's impossible for me to pay attention to anything. And also when I'm sick it's the same thing.  :D

What about you? What does it take for you to call someone an intellectual?

Subject: Re: What does it take for you to truly consider someone an 'intellect'?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 12:05 am

A guy who can tell you his name without reaching for his wallet!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Subject: Re: What does it take for you to truly consider someone an 'intellect'?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/10 at 12:14 am

A guy who can tell you his name without reaching for his wallet!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Oh Maxwell, we love you!  8)

I like your standard Maxwell!  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 09/07/10 at 12:43 am

he he Maxwell

I don't read books.  To learn and reason doesn't have to require reading a book.  Some people cant learn that way. Music is my learning strength.  I can accomplish diddly squat when I'm depressed and that's about it.  intellect in general could just mean a  mind or intelligence.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 12:45 am

Well, I mean, it's like me.  I have a great intellect but I'm totally dysfunctional!
:D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/10 at 1:02 am

Well, I mean, it's like me.  I have a great intellect but I'm totally dysfunctional!
:D

Don't ask me what happened in 1492. Wasn't that the year Columbus celebrated Thanksgiving on a boat for the first time or something?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/10 at 1:07 am

he he Maxwell

I don't read books.  To learn and reason doesn't have to require reading a book.  Some people cant learn that way. Music is my learning strength.   I can accomplish diddly squat when I'm depressed and that's about it.  intellect in general could just mean a  mind or intelligence.

Do you mean music is your best subject or do you mean turning a subject into music is how you best learn?

I love reading, but right now I'm going through some things in my personal life so I'm not interested in books right now.

Written By: wildcard on 09/07/10 at 1:36 am

Using music as my learning method.  I don't Like to read much at all.  I use to really enjoy writing parodies, but it takes me forever and I got stuff going on in my live.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/10 at 2:54 am

Using music as my learning method.  I don't Like to read much at all.  I use to really enjoy writing parodies, but it takes me forever and I got stuff going on in my live.

I see.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/10 at 12:28 pm

My definition of an intellect is someone who keeps learning. An intellect doesn't take everything at face value, he/she will also question things. For example, a newspaper article will say something, but an intellect will wonder if this is truly how it is. And they may look deeper into the subject by finding out who the author is and how they came to the conclusion they did.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/10 at 1:02 pm

My definition of an intellect is someone who keeps learning. An intellect doesn't take everything at face value, he/she will also question things. For example, a newspaper article will say something, but an intellect will wonder if this is truly how it is. And they may look deeper into the subject by finding out who the author is and how they came to the conclusion they did.

Cat

I like your answer. Yes, not everyone is to be trusted when it comes to information.

Written By: Emman on 09/07/10 at 5:50 pm

I, myself, do not consider myself an intellect. I don't have the natural passion or the energy to read too much or learn.  :(

I think someone who is an intellect has the natural energy and passion to read and process almost anything they see. Even if they're sick or depressed they can muster up the energy or interest in various subjects. I do not have the capability to do this; when I am depressed it's impossible for me to pay attention to anything. And also when I'm sick it's the same thing.  :D

What about you? What does it take for you to call someone an intellect?

Your definition actually has way more to do with motivation/interest than intellect. Intelligence is many clusters of similar but distinct abilities like abstract reasoning, retaining information, problem solving, creative(or divergent) thinking, ect., I'll say one thing, the criteria for intelligence is very subjective for most people, their judgement of other people's intelligence is more a reflection of their values than some objective criteria to go by.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/10 at 6:29 pm

Your definition actually has way more to do with motivation/interest than intellect. Intelligence is many clusters of similar but distinct abilities like abstract reasoning, retaining information, problem solving, creative(or divergent) thinking, ect., I'll say one thing, the criteria for intelligence is very subjective for most people, their judgement of other people's intelligence is more a reflection of their values than some objective criteria to go by.

I do agree with you but the question was about defining an "intellect" not defining intelligence. IMO there are many intelligence people who are not intellects.

Cat

Written By: Emman on 09/07/10 at 7:02 pm

I think a better term would be an"intellectual" then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 9:15 pm

Yes, you beat me to it.  An intellect is one who demonstrates intellectual (adj.) aptitude.  The noun "intellectual" relates more to tastes and lifestyle.  It is a suspect destination in the U.S.  The bosses always need to instill distrust among the workers in "intellectuals" because intellectuals ask Why???  Sometimes intellectuals ask salient questions, sometimes piss-poor ones, but they ask questions.  It's still a Hobbesian state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.  The real answer the bosses want to give is "Shut up and do as you're told!"  That's bad PR.  Good PR is hiring Glenn Beck to say it's the American way to shut up and do as you're told.  In Beck's case the bosses are the international financial elites.  In the case of North Korea, it's Kim Jong-Il.  Cornpone fascists will appeal to patriotism, legacy, and God, as Glenn Beck does.  Totalitarian regimes will disappear you in the middle of the night.   The first people despots repress are intellectuals.  

BTW, One doesn't have to be intelligent to be intellectual.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/10 at 9:53 pm

Oops! My mistake, let my change it.

Subject: Re: What does it take for you to truly consider someone an 'intellectual'?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/10 at 9:58 pm

Intellect as you use it is correct.

Intellect: (n.) A person of great intellectual ability.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/intellect

Subject: Re: What does it take for you to truly consider someone an 'intellectual'?

Written By: gibbo on 09/07/10 at 11:46 pm

I see many people who consider themselves intelectuals. I would prefer wisdom!  Someone who acts correctly or properly rather than someone who just talks the talk.

There are quite a few people here that I consider very smart. But, I don't know if they back it up with actions (I hope they do).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/10 at 10:54 am

To me intellect (n) = intellectual. Intellect (v) is something completely different.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/10 at 9:25 pm

It's still a Hobbesian state of affairs as far as I'm concerned.

To me intellect (n) = intellectual. Intellect (v) is something completely different.

Hobbesian states of affairs?  Intellect(v)?  As if I could let that go by without letting Calvin respond.

http://bookishmonkey.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/verbing-weirds-language1.jpg

Verbing weirds language.

(It was either that or go for a Dead Milkmen reference, but everyone here knows I'll reply to anything...)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/10 at 10:23 pm

Karma.  Great C&H strip!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/10 at 1:14 pm

Hobbesian states of affairs?  Intellect(v)?  As if I could let that go by without letting Calvin respond.

http://bookishmonkey.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/verbing-weirds-language1.jpg

Verbing weirds language.

(It was either that or go for a Dead Milkmen reference, but everyone here knows I'll reply to anything...)

Yeah, I guess I was having a blond moment there. I guess my intellect wasn't working well.  :D ;D ;D ;D

What I meant was the difference between a person & a thing. An intellect as a person to me is the same as an intellectual but say, your intellect or his intellect, etc. etc. is sometime different.

Does that make sense?

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/10/10 at 6:32 pm

I tend to think intellectuals are more academic and knowledgeable and, as mentioned previously, intellect does not always equal to intelligence. A good example to differentiate the two is a stereotype of the absent-minded professor. S/he can tell you how many stars make up The Milky Way but may not have the common sense to keep his/her door keys in a safe place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/10 at 6:58 pm

I tend to think intellectuals are more academic and knowledgeable and, as mentioned previously, intellect does not always equal to intelligence. A good example to differentiate the two is a stereotype of the absent-minded professor. S/he can tell you how many stars make up The Milky Way but may not have the common sense to keep his/her door keys in a safe place.

We met up with someone like that last week at the college barbecue. The woman is BRILLIANT and I was surprised that she remembered that I had RP considering I haven't seen her in about 15 years or so. But man is she mega flaky. A lot of people we know didn't even want to come by to say hello and definitely wouldn't sit with us because this woman scares the bejesus out of them.  :o :o :o

BTW welcome back, my friend.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/10/10 at 7:13 pm

We met up with someone like that last week at the college barbecue. The woman is BRILLIANT and I was surprised that she remembered that I had RP considering I haven't seen her in about 15 years or so. But man is she mega flaky. A lot of people we know didn't even want to come by to say hello and definitely wouldn't sit with us because this woman scares the bejesus out of them.   :o :o :o

Awww that's a shame. Why did people find her scary?

BTW welcome back, my friend.

Thank you. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/10 at 9:52 pm

Sometimes people who are always in their own heads lack congeniality.  People who think too much -- or think ineffectively, I should say -- get bound up in anxiety and self-consciousness.  Could be why other guests perceived that lady as "weird."

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/10 at 6:13 am

Sometimes people who are always in their own heads lack congeniality.  People who think too much -- or think ineffectively, I should say -- get bound up in anxiety and self-consciousness.  Could be why other guests perceived that lady as "weird."

When I was young I was accused of not having enough 'congeniality'. Sometimes I could seem cold, but I'm was just really shy and sometimes I'm was just in my own dream world. Either people thought I was really cold or really passive and shy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 2:57 pm

When I was young I was accused of not having enough 'congeniality'. Sometimes I could seem cold, but I'm was just really shy and sometimes I'm was just in my own dream world. Either people thought I was really cold or really passive and shy.

Same here.  I wonder sometimes if I have mild autism, but I think my social awkwardness comes from PTSD.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/10 at 3:29 pm

Awww that's a shame. Why did people find her scary?

It could have to do with her looks but she also made a lot of enemies during her tenure there. Apparently, she has a nasty streak that I never saw but I didn't have to deal with her on a daily basis like some of them had to. I can see her doing that but I have always been nice to her and she has been nice to me, too but I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/10 at 4:15 pm

Same here.  I wonder sometimes if I have mild autism, but I think my social awkwardness comes from PTSD.

PTSD? Is PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? What happened to you if it isn't too personal?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 11:00 pm

PTSD? Is PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? What happened to you if it isn't too personal?

I went through several traumatic events from childhood through college.  That's a whole other thread, though!
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/10 at 11:28 pm

I went through several traumatic events from childhood through college.  That's a whole other thread, though!
::)

I'm sorry for those events and I hope life is treating you better these days!  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...