» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What kind of bicycle did you have as a kid?

Written By: ADH13 on 09/08/10 at 11:49 pm

When I was about 8 or 9, I got a Huffy, it was white with a purple seat & purple grips. :D

I got my first ten-speed when I was about 14, I don't remember the brand.  I rode it as a regular bike though, I never had any use for the "ten-speed" controls.

The Huffy was a Christmas gift, I loved that bike, but I always wished I had a banana seat bike so my friends could ride on the back.

Subject: Re: What kind of bicycle did you have as a kid?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/10 at 11:56 pm

Huffy or BMX. 

Written By: ADH13 on 09/09/10 at 12:02 am

Huffy or BMX. 

Did people ride on your handlebars?

That was a big "guy thing" where I lived back then...

Written By: Cory! on 09/09/10 at 12:05 am

I am a kiddd so I still have a bike and ride it a loooot x) I have a Schwinn Del Mar. LOVE IT.
Its got a back thingy so you can tie stuff onto it, thats what I ride people on x3 Its like my motorcycle.

Written By: Davester on 09/09/10 at 12:09 am

First bike was my cousin's red hand-me-down.  Unknown make.  Second bike was a rare Christmas (1977) gift from my dad.  Unknown make.  It broke...

Third and final was a '79 Mongoose BMX with motomags, Christmas 1978.  That was my bike up until 11th grade when it was stolen.  Have not owned a bicycle since...

Wish I still had that bike.  I'd mount it on the wall...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 12:11 am

Did people ride on your handlebars?

That was a big "guy thing" where I lived back then...

I did both without endorsing either.  Usually some bigger kid would exert pressure me to participate.  

Yeah, thanks Roland, I can really make it down Route 13 with your fat ass wobbling around on my handlebars!

And next week on "Ow My Nuts!: An Autiobiography." -------------------------------------------

Written By: Davester on 09/09/10 at 12:13 am

I did both without endorsing either.  Usually some bigger kid would exert pressure me to participate.  

Yeah, thanks Roland, I can really make it down Route 13 with your fat ass wobbling around on my handlebars!

And next week on "Ow My Nuts!: An Autiobiography." -------------------------------------------

You rack 'em, I'll break.  Yowch..!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 12:19 am

"And you'd walk home with a limp with a mother who didn't understand at the other side.
What happened?
Nothing, Ma, I hurt my leg!"

--Robert Klein

The experience of crashing down on the corssbar taught me never to take 'em for granted.  The conviction has cost me dearly my entire life!
::)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/09/10 at 12:24 am

"And you'd walk home with a limp with a mother who didn't understand at the other side.
What happened?
Nothing, Ma, I hurt my leg!"

--Robert Klein

The experience of crashing down on the corssbar taught me never to take 'em for granted.  The conviction has cost me dearly my entire life!
::)

Not to mention, anyone who thought to put on some sort of makeshift bicycle helmet back then would have been the laughingstock of the neighborhood!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/09/10 at 2:35 pm

Not to mention, anyone who thought to put on some sort of makeshift bicycle helmet back then would have been the laughingstock of the neighborhood!!

Helmet schmelmet!  I didn't even wear shoes.  Half the time I just rode around the neighborhood in my swimming suit.  Road rash was a badge of honor. 

I had a pink and purple banana seat that I loved more than life itself.  I wish I still had it.  I have no idea what the brand was, but it had streamers and a bell.  :D

Written By: ADH13 on 09/09/10 at 3:02 pm

Helmet schmelmet!  I didn't even wear shoes.  Half the time I just rode around the neighborhood in my swimming suit.  Road rash was a badge of honor. 

Same here!

I had a pink and purple banana seat that I loved more than life itself.  I wish I still had it.  I have no idea what the brand was, but it had streamers and a bell.  :D

I didn't have a bell, but I did have one of those little horns attached to the handlebars! :D

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/09/10 at 3:36 pm

My bike looked almost exactly like this, except the seat was white with daisies. 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4A2oihFeIHo/SVBj4O1H7qI/AAAAAAAABFo/4Kn5GjNp8lY/s400/28_dscf0018.jpg

I also had a white basket similar to this...
http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!B)mwv(wBGk~$(KGrHqF,!iEEv1+0DqG3BMOPQktwUg~~_35.JPG

When I got older I had a blue 10 speed that we got from Toy's R Us.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/10 at 5:26 pm

A blue one.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/Untitled1.jpg

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/09/10 at 8:25 pm

First bike I had (after my training wheels bike) was an old Schwinn Stingray that had been converted into a BMX-style bike (knobby tires, BMX handlebars and seat).

When I was in the 4th or 5th grade I bought (with my paper route money) an Open Road BMX bike, which was a Huffy that was rebadged and sold at Montgomery Wards stores. I was the first kid on the block with mag wheels!

It's funny, but while "banana-seat" bikes were popular with kids throughout the 70's, once the BMX bikes became popular in the early 80's the old banana-seat bikes suddenly became as uncool as polyester leisure suits and bell-bottom jeans, and no self-respecting male adolescent would be caught dead riding one.  :D

Ten-speeds seemed to be more "adult" bikes, as I recall.

I (and I'm sure most of the kids) would've loved to have a mountain bike back then, because you could either get a BMX bike which you could just beat the hell out of but it only had one gear, so you couldn't get much over 25 mph flat out on level ground. Or you could get a ten speed which you could haul ass on yet was far too light and fragile for any kind of off road use. But with mountain bikes you get the best of both worlds.

I bought a Trek 21-speed mountain bike about 7-8 years ago and I love it, it's by far the best bike I've ever owned. Unfortunately I hardly ever ride it anymore, in part because because Kansas City is a suck town for cycling but mainly because I'm a lazy tub of sh*t.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 10:19 pm

When we were kids the safety considerations were much more scarce.  You got to ride in the front seat just as soon as you were big enough to slam dashboard, not the glove compartment.  Car seats are for creepin' age, not for strollin' age! 

We used to careen around in flatbeds of pickups.  Rules: Do not lean against tailgate.  No standing up.  Everybody clear on that? 

We got knocked about all over the place.  Childhood was about cuts, bruises, sprains, rashes, bloody noses, and blows to the head!  I have argued successfully it would be MORE dangerous to ride a bicycle WITH a helmet when I was a kid.  If you didn't wear the helmet you MIGHT sustain a skull injury.  If you DID wear the helmet, for SURE you'd get the neighborhood bullies on your case, "What ah yah, fakkin' retahded?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif

Written By: ADH13 on 09/09/10 at 10:44 pm

My Huffy looked something like this, but not exactly.  I did have that odd shaped seat though, but I think my seat was smaller than the one in the pic...

Written By: Frank on 09/09/10 at 11:32 pm

A red one, banana seat bike.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 11:37 pm

A red one, banana seat bike.

http://thecount.com/wp-content/uploads/PeeWeeBike.jpg

Written By: Frank on 09/10/10 at 12:20 am

Not quite. It looked more like this one
http://justbicycles.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/banana-seat-bike-red-500-x-418.jpg?w=450&h=376

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/10 at 12:22 am

Not quite. It looked more like this one
http://justbicycles.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/banana-seat-bike-red-500-x-418.jpg?w=450&h=376

Yes means no and no means yes.  Do you want me to steal your bicycle?
;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/11/10 at 8:55 am

It's funny, either my dad or my brother bought one of those old 50's or 60's cruiser bikes at a garage sale when I was about 14 or 15, and it was a comfortable and relatively fast bike and I really liked the way it rode.

Unfortunately this was right around the same time that Pee-Wee's Big Adventure came out so it wasn't exactly the coolest bike to be seen on.  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/11/10 at 5:44 pm

The experience of crashing down on the corssbar taught me never to take 'em for granted.  The conviction has cost me dearly my entire life! ::)

Missed it by that much, huh?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/10 at 10:56 pm

Missed it by that much, huh?

They done deleted my Pee-Wee!

No asking, "Pee Wee what?," wise guy?

:(

Check for new replies or respond here...