» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Metallica

Written By: ADH13 on 09/14/10 at 7:08 pm

So you don't have to be a stoner to know Metallica.  

I like almost everything they have done up to and including their Black album.... except "Last Caress" 8-P

I don't like their newer stuff though.

I loved the "Bobby & Alchoholica" cover of Enter Sandman too!! :)  if only I had record that. :-\\

Subject: Re: Metallica

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/14/10 at 9:44 pm

All of the above, and Beatallica.

Remember back in the late 90s, when Metallica had a reputation as the most litigious band on earth due to their whole anti-Napster thing?

Beatallica was the one cover/parody artist that was so damn good that Lars Ulrich himself called upon the record company to lay off on the legal threats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iERF0AP6mws

And now, not only are there official albums, there are even official videos.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/14/10 at 9:53 pm

Wow, I've never seen that... that's pretty cool!

I stopped following them around the time of their Load album, they started sounding like Nirvana wanna-bes and I just wasn't into it anymore. (if you haven't yet noticed, I blame Nirvana for ruining music to a point that it never recovered)

It's funny though, their Black album was what put them into the mainstream, and I'm sure it was their highest selling album by a long shot.  Yet, if you asked 100 Metallica fans what their favorite song is, I'll bet you 85% of them would say "One".  (though I don't blame them!)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/15/10 at 10:54 pm

One, without a doubt

Written By: ADH13 on 09/19/10 at 12:40 am

Here's an a capella cover of Master of Puppets  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSpuVsLnl1k

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/10 at 12:48 am

Enter Sandman

Metallica was never my thing, but I knew a great song when I heard it, Enter Sandman was a great song.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/19/10 at 2:08 am

I LOVE Fade to Black and Unforgiven.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/19/10 at 2:15 am

I LOVE Fade to Black and Unforgiven.

Have you heard Unforgiven 2 & 3?  Not surprisingly, the higher the number, the worse the song. ::)

I really like the original Unforgiven too.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/19/10 at 2:21 am

Have you heard Unforgiven 2 & 3?   Not surprisingly, the higher the number, the worse the song. ::)

I really like the original Unforgiven too.

I've listened to the 2nd one a few times, didn't catch my interest. I would imagine the 3rd is probably not worth my time.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/19/10 at 2:23 am

I've listened to the 2nd one a few times, didn't catch my interest. I would imagine the 3rd is probably not worth my time.

I'd guess you are imagining correctly.  I didn't care for it at all.

Written By: joeman on 09/19/10 at 8:39 pm

I liked Metallica and all of their albums.  I especially love the Black Album and place it as one of my favorites. 

I did like Load and Reload, which imo took a spin off the alternative movement at the time.  I did also like St Anger, but the album is an acquired taste since Metallica was aiming to making a RAW album.

Written By: Davester on 09/19/10 at 8:51 pm

"Creeping Death", "Battery", "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)".  Stopped following Metallica after ...And Justice For All

Still might pick-up Death Magnetic...

Written By: zcrito on 09/21/10 at 10:12 pm

Other.
For Whom The Bell Tolls (1984) then Enter Sandman (1991), followed by Master of Puppets & Nothing Else Matters.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/10 at 12:56 am

Metallica seemed more cerebral and conceptual than most hard rock/heavy metal bands.  Heavy metal is a grandson of the blues thus it tends to be more directly emotional.  You had more progressive rock bands, such as Rush, who achieved the cerebral part, but they failed to maintain the dangerous edge Metallica always had.  

IMO, 'metal doesn't excel with themes of faith or fun.  The first Black Sabbath record set the standard for successful heavy metal.  It needs to be about pain, anxiety, paranoia, and anger.  Heavy metal music does not advocate violence and war -- quite the contrary, its political themes decry man's inhumanity to man.  

I always thought it was loony how right-wing sheep would get their shorts in a bunch about Motley Crue lyrics and then take the kids to the Civic Center to watch the Big Boss Man smash garbage cans on Razor Ramon!
:D

I'm all for religious music and for happy music, but neither one makes good heavy metal.  The lyrics don't work with the music.  Stryper, Creed, King's X, y'all can have 'em.  If I want religious music, I'll go to Mass.  Live recital for me every day if I want!
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...