» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Music Videos that made you feel something

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/07/10 at 3:24 am

What videos have you seen that really affected you after seeing them?

A few that made me cry were:

Kate Bush - This woman's work

Lisa Stansfield - All Woman

Shakespeare Sister - Stay

Garth Brooks -The Thunder Rolls

Little Texas - What might have been

Toby Keith - Who's That Man

Brad Paisley & Allison Krauss - Whiskey Lullabye

Staind - it's been a while (my ex-husband looked like the singer)

Skid Row - I remember you

Martina McBride - Concrete angel

P!nk - I Don't Believe You

I guess I'm just an old sap.  ;D

One that creeped me out was Metallica - One

Subject: Re: Videos that made you feel something

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/07/10 at 10:46 am

A lot of really great ones on your list Patty!

I was an MTV addict when I was little.  It's all I ever watched when I came home from school.  I can honestly say that music videos - especially in the 80's - really shaped me.  The first one that came to mind was A-ha's "Take On Me."  That video absolutely blew my mind and it still does.

Two videos that fill me with absolute joy are "Here it Goes Again" by Ok Go and "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim.  (And don't even get me started on Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" with Christopher Walken.  Sooo fabulous.) 

I absolutely love REM's "Losing My Religion" and "Everybody Hurts."  I was a sophomore in high school when EH came out and I think it was the first time I realized that other people felt as messed up as I did. 

Korn's "Freak on a Leash" video is just incredible - the way the bullet rips through the entire video but hits no one.  SOOO cool.

And Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" is just perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Lastly, the two videos that really made me FEEL something were George Michael's "Faith" and Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There for You."  I was in 5th grade when both of them came out, and both videos made me look at boys in an entirely new way.  ;D

I'm sure I'll think of about a million more, but that's what I have for the moment.   

Written By: whistledog on 10/07/10 at 6:55 pm

The title of this thread may give Howard the wrong idea :D

I always found sadness with Ultravox and 'Dancing With Tears in My Eyes'.  Makes you wonder what you'd do if the end was near

Creepy would be Jacko's 'Thriller'.  The end where he has the cat eyes and you hear Vincent Price laugh.  Horror was great back then

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/10 at 7:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsUpBsbJy4Y

The first time I saw this video was also the first time I heard the song.  I was trembling and sobbing by the end of it.  It really tore open old wounds.  My old man actually said "You're no son of mine" on several occasions.  The video contrasts the boy's episodes of isolation with the episodes of chaos at home.  Like the song describes, I kept having to go back and deal with him, and it always disintegrated with the same rants and threats as the last time.  Dad also had that kind of explosive, violent temper.  You can only kick a dog so many times before he stops coming back to you.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/10 at 9:33 pm

Can't remember the first one that really hit me, but here are two of my college-era faves, in that I never thought the video could top the graphics my mind had already imagined for the song, but the videos turned out to beat even my overactive imagination.  

1992: Mindphazer.  Had to videotape it to freeze-frame it at the right moments to figure out exactly what was going on, but the good guys win.  (The video is made up of samples from a Japanese movie, Gunhed, overlaid with pictures of the band members.  It's the band's ("FLA infiltration unit") mission to "secure base of operations on target island and 8JO(really!)-penetrate Kyron 2(3?  It was 5 in the movie) CPU offense system and perform central systems download and shutdown")  

1996: KMFDM: Son of a Gun.  I'm already grinning like a maniac when I see what's substituting for the "Superman" logo on our hero's chest, but when our erstwhile hero finally ponders what the headlines will look like tomorrow, and returns to Earth in the form of a rocket-powered fist, grabs some nukes out of the air, and saves the day...  It's so over-the-top, like Wal Street meets The Watchmen meets Team America meets Dr. Strangelove meets Independence Day, and it's all animated in the style of a KMFDM album cover.  

Y'all already knew I was weird when it comes to robots.  For me, music videos about computers, robots, or cyborg superheroes are like having an entire 90-minute action movie distilled down into 3-6 minutes of concentrated awesome.  Dammit, there's something in my eye.  Must be a shard of glass or something :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 10:42 pm

Post Tienanmen Square, pre-Gulf War I.  North and Reagan lied their asses off and drove the last nail into the hope of a fair justice system.  Daddy Bush was in office. 

At the time I was in my Marxist-Leninist phase, and I saw Max Q's "Way of the World" as saying the ruling classes use both God and the bomb to scare the peasants and proles into submission.  True, Michael Hutchence did some douchey stuff with INXS (some of it was pretty good though), but he really hit the nail on the head with this Max Q song

That year I wasn't going to college and I was out there in Boston struggling in a recession (1989--1991)  What do you know?  We're gearing up to attack Iraq.  Iraq?  What did Iraq ever do to me?  Iraq never fired me because I peeled spuds to slow!  I formed some terribly negative opinions about the managerial class...and I still have every last one.  Well, now I'm more rational and reasonable about causes and remedies, but I essentially agree with the Hobbesian theme of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbPkpzAipI

Subject: Re: Music Videos that made you feel something

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/10 at 12:05 am

Lastly, the two videos that really made me FEEL something were George Michael's "Faith" and Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There for You."  I was in 5th grade when both of them came out, and both videos made me look at boys in an entirely new way.  ;D

I'm sure I'll think of about a million more, but that's what I have for the moment.   

;D

I hear ya on that video "Faith", but for me it was also "Father figure" (who knew cab drivers could be sexy?) and even "Freedom" to an extent.
Another video that caused *ahem* "stirrings* to an extent was Winger - Can't Get Enuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnDcjtYGzI
Oh course, guys like that weren't going to *my* high school, but whatever..

Another I thought was sexy for some unknown reason was Whitesnake "Is this love?"
But I also wanted to be the girl (Tawny Kitean) who cavorted over the hoods of the cars (Mercedes? BMWs?) without denting the hoods (although in retrospect I'm glad I didn't develop the drinking/drug problems Ms. Kitean had either).  The guys are STILL talking (on youtube) about her flashing her chest in the video for half a second.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 12:10 am

If you ever spent a bummer evening staring at MTV in 1985, that's exactly how you would remember Tears For Fears: Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

Well, I can't locate the video on Youtube, but it'll be back!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sleep.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/10 at 12:24 am

Another one that rips my heart out (although Dennis DeYoung looks funky in it) is "Call me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLf4Vdx08U

Also spent many a night thinking how cool it's be to chase after Glenn Frey in NYC in "You belong to the city."  I probably would have gotten mugged though.  lol  I spent much of my life feeling restless and isolated and could relate to the song/video for some weird reason.  Although I'd have been distracted and veered into the video arcade Glenn walks by 43 seconds into the video and Glenn could go meet up with the beautiful blond later in the video and I could care less (as long as I still had quarters.)  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSuyuj8ESLc

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 12:37 am

Styx fell apart after the "Mr. Roboto" period.  Here's one result from the fall of 1984:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFOLFtw2Ic&feature=fvw

BLUE VELVET MINUS FRANK BOOTH

Whatever.  There was a year there where my tastes were undifferentiated enough for me to enjoy this stuff before the hip displeasure crept in!
;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/10 at 12:41 am

Styx fell apart after the "Mr. Roboto" period.  Here's one result from the fall of 1984:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFOLFtw2Ic&feature=fvw

BLUE VELVET MINUS FRANK BOOTH

Whatever.  There was a year there where my tastes were undifferentiated enough for me to enjoy this stuff before the hip displeasure crept in!
;)

Yeah, alot of the stuff you talk about I'm lucky if I've even heard of now (let alone back in the '80s in rural Ohio)  ;) ;D

I used to dream about remaking the video for Styx's "Don't let it end" using kids from my high school.  I have no idea why that particular video/song...  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 1:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzNjmIWbns4&feature=related

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 1:09 am

Yeah, alot of the stuff you talk about I'm lucky if I've even heard of now (let alone back in the '80s in rural Ohio)  ;) ;D

I used to dream about remaking the video for Styx's "Don't let it end" using kids from my high school.  I have no idea why that particular video/song...  :-\\

I wanted to remake Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" using kids from my high school.  Then Rogers Waters' people told me, no, they didn't actually grind people into hamburger.  So Biff and Scutch live to bully me another day.
:(

Written By: Midas on 10/26/10 at 10:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8uamNDLEA0&ob=av2e

There was a moment in time where I felt my dad kinda ditched us.  Our relationship is much better now.

Caught this one one VH1Classic when I was going through my separation in my first marriage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmJAQK13bKc&ob=av2e

Everything's all right...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/27/10 at 2:31 am

I wanted to remake Pink Floyd "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2" using kids from my high school.  Then Rogers Waters' people told me, no, they didn't actually grind people into hamburger.  So Biff and Scutch live to bully me another day.
:(

I know what you mean.  I think my husband would have had a few kids to add to the ole meat grinder.

I think I read somewhere that the kids that were actually in the actual video sued Pink Floyd because they felt they weren't paid enough.  Or maybe it was the kids that sang on the song... I forget now.

Written By: Bobby on 11/05/10 at 4:16 pm

Probably Radiohead's 'Just (You do it to yourself)'. Every intriguing video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/10 at 11:17 pm

It wasn't when the video was popular but much later.  My girlfriend Clara had bipolar disorder.  She kept cycling through mania and depression.  Her meds were making the symptoms worse.  My own mental health was in decline from major depression.  I was impatient and temperamental with her.  I broke up with her when she became self-destructive, but only after I did everything I could to help her.  Then I lost track of Clara.  I searched for her on the Internet in the summer of 2003 only to find out she committed suicide the previous winter.  Technically she is still considered "missing" because her body was never found.  Investigators believe she jumped off a ferry boat.  Out of respect for her family, I don't want to give geographic specifics or her real name.  Suffice to say, the crew on the boat reported her acting strangely.  Manic behavior.  They ordered her to stay in the cabin.  She didn't.  When the ferry landed, her belongings were found, but Clara was not.  I'm not in contact with her family, but I do know the church in their parish offers Mass Intentions for Clara during Lent.  She went "missing" on the 18th day of Lent.

The questions Ben Orr asks in the lyrics are not ones I asked Clara, but ones I wondered to myself.  The abandoned tavern with the sclerotic figures expresses the miasma of mental illness while Paulina's emotional volatility and Ric's frustration are similar to the dynamics in our relationship. The video is thoroughly haunting to me now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTjzZzfR7w

Check for new replies or respond here...