» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Greatest Generation/Silent Generation Cuspers

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/17/10 at 10:03 pm

I know that the Silent Generation technically starts at 1925 but people born in the years 1925, 1926, and 1927 could have fought in World War 2.  I end the cusp with 1927 because they would have turned 18 in 1945 (either drafted or missed the draft by a hair). They would also remember more about the great depression than someone born around 1935. What's your opinion on this cusp and why isn't it discussed?

Subject: Re: Greatest Generation/Silent Generation Cuspers

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/10 at 2:46 pm

Cuspers sounds like a brand of crackers.

Can I get some Sour Cream and Onion Cuspers?  If they had a Cheddar Cheese flavour, I would eat those with cream cheese on them.

I end the cusp with 1927 because they would have turned 18 in 1945

1927 was an Australian Band formed in the 80s, so they would not have been around in 1945

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/18/10 at 6:23 pm

My dad is a cusper. He was born in 1927, named after Harold Lloyd (who is my fave silent comedian BTW) and served in WW2 in Germany and helped bring food to alot of the Germans who were bombed out of thier homes for being Jews.

His fighting got cut short because in Nuremberg (sp?) he got scarlet fever and was hospitalized for a long time. A few weeks after he got released from the hospital the war ended.

He's never spoken about the fighting, I guess because it was just too horrible watching his buddies get blown away. He just talks about helping the kids and all. And I don't push the topic.

I don't push it because i've seen plenty of shell-shocked vets at the veteran hospital and I don't want that on my hands. My dad is a nice happy guy and I'm proud of what he did for his country and glad he came back safe.  :) If he didn't, I wouldn't be happy, and MJ wouldn;t have a # 1 fan.  ;D

I'm 24. My dad was 59 when I was born.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/18/10 at 8:22 pm

My dad is a cusper. He was born in 1927, named after Harold Lloyd (who is my fave silent comedian BTW) and served in WW2 in Germany and helped bring food to alot of the Germans who were bombed out of thier homes for being Jews.

His fighting got cut short because in Nuremberg (sp?) he got scarlet fever and was hospitalized for a long time. A few weeks after he got released from the hospital the war ended.

He's never spoken about the fighting, I guess because it was just too horrible watching his buddies get blown away. He just talks about helping the kids and all. And I don't push the topic.

I don't push it because i've seen plenty of shell-shocked vets at the veteran hospital and I don't want that on my hands. My dad is a nice happy guy and I'm proud of what he did for his country and glad he came back safe.  :) If he didn't, I wouldn't be happy, and MJ wouldn;t have a # 1 fan.  ;D

I'm 24. My dad was 59 when I was born.
Your dad sounds like a very brave man. I'm glad he lived to tell his story. World War 2 Vets are becoming more and more scarce. My grandpa was born in 1927. He was heavily into 30s and 40s films as well as 40s music. Like you,  I was also born in 1986  ;D. How is it like to have a dad that remembers so far back? He's seen vmany changes and major events over the years. I think people born from 1925-1927 aren't pure silents. They were old enough to serve in World War 2 (or at least almost for some 27ers).

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/18/10 at 8:40 pm

Well, my dad is a Black man and we live in the South and Texas. He's seen plenty of racial strife. My dad always tells me his first memeory is him being four (around 1931) and see a black boy in his teens beat to death by a white policeman. I just really glad he lived to see us get a Black president.  :) My dad always tells me about what it was like growing up during the Depression and not having enough food to eat. He always jokes that you can't starve him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/10 at 11:50 pm

Well, my dad is a Black man and we live in the South and Texas. He's seen plenty of racial strife. My dad always tells me his first memeory is him being four (around 1931) and see a black boy in his teens beat to death by a white policeman. I just really glad he lived to see us get a Black president.  :) My dad always tells me about what it was like growing up during the Depression and not having enough food to eat. He always jokes that you can't starve him.

Wow, your dad's even older than mine, who was born in 1940. 
:)

Written By: joeman on 11/19/10 at 9:12 am

Your dad sounds like a very brave man. I'm glad he lived to tell his story. World War 2 Vets are becoming more and more scarce. My grandpa was born in 1927. He was heavily into 30s and 40s films as well as 40s music. Like you,  I was also born in 1986  ;D. How is it like to have a dad that remembers so far back? He's seen vmany changes and major events over the years. I think people born from 1925-1927 aren't pure silents. They were old enough to serve in World War 2 (or at least almost for some 27ers).

Count me as a kid with old parents.  I was born in 85 but my dad was born in 1942 and my mom in 1946.  They grew up in the 50s and 60s, and instilled me those conservative values from back then.  It was awkward, since almost none has that type of attitude, or at least with people my age(was an outcast unfortunately in school).

Check for new replies or respond here...