» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: (Parents) When your son or daughter turns 25...

Written By: joeman on 11/21/10 at 12:34 am

Here is a question that I am really harping on that I want to ask Parents of this board.  

Say your kid became 25 years old and in months calls you up and asked you what life was back when you were in your 20s, what would you actually tell them?  

The reason I asked this question because yesterday I had a lot of quarter-life angst, and today called both my father and brother and asked them this question, and neither of them wanted to reply back.

Subject: Re: (Parents) When your son or daughter turns 25...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/10 at 6:06 am

Here is a question that I am really harping on that I want to ask Parents of this board.  

Say your kid became 25 years old and in months calls you up and asked you what life was back when you were in your 20s, what would you actually tell them?  

The reason I asked this question because yesterday I had a lot of quarter-life angst, and today called both my father and brother and asked them this question, and neither of them wanted to reply back.

When you're in your twenties you are kinda beginning to wake up to the hard truths like death will happen(you, your friends, and relatives included) and it will be permanent.  You find out some of the the people you thought were wicked cool aren't so much so any more, and some of the people you used to laugh at are.  You find out about working for a living, saying something is so doesn't make it so.  With all that, you can see that life is good, sometimes it is hard work, but it is good. 

Written By: 80sfan on 11/21/10 at 3:46 pm

Your father and brother are probably curious as to why you asked that question and maybe they'd answer if you tell them why you're asking this?
Maybe they're thinking, "um....why is he asking me this?" I don't know, I could be wrong though.  ::)

Written By: CeeKay on 11/29/10 at 11:03 pm

I'd tell them the truth.  The 20s were hard for me.  It's a time of finding your way and deciding what direction your life would take -- much more seriously than the teen years.  You start facing life (babies) and death (elders) and big career and money decisions.  But I'd also remind them that it's all ok.  Trust yourself.  You can handle it.  Find good friends and community.  20s - it's real life and it's alright.

Written By: Emman on 12/02/10 at 5:16 am

I'm 25 too and have various doubts about what to do with my life, 25 feels like a pause to reflect on what you've achieved so far in life, because alot of younger people have many goals and ideals they hope to achieve by 25. This pausing and reflecting on unachieved goals really starts the feeling of "getting older" to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...