» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Best 20th century decade for fashion?

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/09/10 at 3:25 am

Well, since there's already a thread on the worst decade for fashion, I figured that I'd start a thread on the best decade for fashion; only in this thread I'm making all the decades of the 20th century available for choosing. I hope there's not already a thread like this around. I searched, and didn't find anything.

I voted for the 1940s. I like how classy and sophisticated the clothing was back then. The 1920s would probably be my second favorite.

Subject: Re: Best 20th century decade for fashion?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/09/10 at 3:53 am

I'd say the '60s.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/10 at 6:26 pm

1950's, how glamorous and classy!

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/10/10 at 11:40 am

1950's, how glamorous and classy!

The '50s was a good decade for fashion, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/10 at 4:37 pm

Definitely not the 80's with the Goths!

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/11/10 at 7:11 am

Definitely not the 80's with the Goths!

It's not like goth was the defining fashion of the '80s.  ::)

Written By: RG1995 on 12/12/10 at 7:20 pm

1990s!

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/13/10 at 5:24 pm

I really can't tell you, but I'm interested in the "Vouge" Covers of the 1910's and 1920's, these ladies looked VERY Fashionable!...

http://www.pub.se/files/Images/Images_1006/2009/10/George%20Wolfe%20Plank%20illustration%2001-01-1928.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/west-of-the-moon/fashion/GeorgeWolfePlank6.jpg
http://images.artnet.com/WebServices/picture.aspx?date=20011110&catalog=14837&gallery=111169&lot=00180&filetype=2http://live.universal-collectibles.com/product_images02/4113-1.jpghttp://styleblog.vogue.com.tw/member/member_album/stylehunters/0/20101029144203.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/10 at 12:20 pm

I said the '40s. Most of those fashions are just classic and you can still wear them today and not look dated.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 8:01 pm

The 1960s.  The 1960s 1960s not the 1970s 1960s.

The sixties was my gut reaction and I'm sticking with it!

Karma to MrC for the Aubrey Beardsley Vogue covers!
:)

The term "Goth" emerged in in the 1980s.  My girlfriend referred to me as a "Goth" in 1988.  I didn't know what she meant.  It was cosmetic and sartorial with not much substance.  I was one from about 1987-1989, after which I had no money, no prospects, and no time to worry about sh*t like black clothes and white greasepaint. 
:-\\

Anyway, you might have heard the term "Goth" in a metropolitan nightlife scene or a college town w/ hipsters, but nowhere else.  I did not call myself "Goth" or "Punk."  I liked to say post-expressionist or some b.s. like that.  I had standard-issue Goth albums, such as The Sisters of Mercy "First and Last and Always," Bauhaus "Burning from the Inside," and Siouxsie and the Banshees "JuJu."  However --- I have always listened to so much synth pop, hipsters would say "ewwww!"  As Steve Wright said, "I had a job in a health food store, but I got fired for eating cotton candy and drinking Bosco behind the counter!"

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/14/10 at 8:47 pm

The 1960s.  The 1960s 1960s not the 1970s 1960s.

The sixties was my gut reaction and I'm sticking with it!

Karma to MrC for the Aubrey Beardsley Vogue covers!

The term "Goth" emerged in in the 1980s.  My girlfriend referred to me as a "Goth" in 1988.  I didn't know what she meant.  It was cosmetic and sartorial with not much substance.  I was one from about 1987-1989, after which I had no money, no prospects, and no time to worry about sh*t like black clothes and white greasepaint. 
:-\\

Anyway, you might have heard the term "Goth" in a metropolitan nightlife scene or a college town w/ hipsters, but nowhere else.  I did not call myself "Goth" or "Punk."  I liked to say post-expressionist or some b.s. like that.  I had standard-issue Goth albums, such as The Sisters of Mercy "First and Last and Always," Bauhaus "Burning from the Inside," and Siouxsie and the Banshees "JuJu."  However --- I have always listened to so much synth pop, hipsters would say "ewwww!"  As Steve Wright said, "I had a job in a health food store, but I got fired for eating cotton candy and drinking Bosco behind the counter!"

Thanks Max...

But Thank George Wolfe Plank, he drew those pics for "Vogue". My parents had a few of those in their house in the 70's and I have the one with the lady sitting under the berry tree looking at the bird with the necklace hanging on my apartment wall!

I also have a "Vogue" pic by Helen Dryden to share....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CvDCiEFbNy8/TFPr_rAQiKI/AAAAAAAAVVw/tuINDSHNkWw/s400/November+20,++++++by+Helen+Dryden.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/10 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Max...

But Thank George Wolfe Plank, he drew those pics for "Vogue". My parents had a few of those in their house in the 70's and I have the one with the lady sitting under the berry tree looking at the bird with the necklace hanging on my apartment wall!

I also have a "Vogue" pic by Helen Dryden to share....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CvDCiEFbNy8/TFPr_rAQiKI/AAAAAAAAVVw/tuINDSHNkWw/s400/November+20,++++++by+Helen+Dryden.jpg

:-[

Oops.  My goof.  The two top ones DO remind me of Beardsley.

Thanks again for sharing those great illustrations.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/15/10 at 2:04 pm

:-http://www.poster.net/lepape-georges/lepape-georges-vogue-titelblatt-1-mai-1928-9981816.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OVF6-2AsZpw/SgH8TBml3zI/AAAAAAAAAeo/pcVIzuGIuPE/s400/lee_miller_vogue_3_1927.jpg

These are from the 1920's, very Art-Deco!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/10 at 2:47 pm

^ 90 years later, they still look chic!  It was a great era to be rich!
8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/16/10 at 8:30 pm

I'd have to say the 1980s. There was such a range of expression and styles back then. I would loved to have looked like an extra from Purple Rain everyday. (and my boyfriend would love to dress as Prince every day, lord knows he's flamboyant)  I lvoed the wild hair and the funky make up and just the originality that fell out of the decade.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HefbFAFhEEk/SSC0eCpDM8I/AAAAAAAAATc/10leJDRzuHU/s400/apo.jpg
I still hail Apollonia as my 80s fashion icon. Not my contemporary one, but my 80s one.

A close second would have to be the 1900s. I know it's crazy, but I also love the prim and proper way ladies dressed, and I would definitely want to look like Evelyn Nesbit who was the model for the "Gibson Girl"  I just like idea of wearing yards and yards of silk and lace and retiring under an old oak tree with friends to knit and gossip with some cool glasses of lemonade. (I gotta stop watching Gone With the Wind so much! ) I love it so much. My dream is to have a (non-haunted) Victorian home and full of antiques.

http://klemons.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/victorian_lady_postcard10.jpg
If this isn't girly, I don't know what is. I love it!

Pretty much anything before the 1990s, when glam was still in.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/16/10 at 10:02 pm

A close second would have to be the 1900s. I know it's crazy, but I also love the prim and proper way ladies dressed, and I would definitely want to look like Evelyn Nesbit who was the model for the "Gibson Girl"  I just like idea of wearing yards and yards of silk and lace and retiring under an old oak tree with friends to knit and gossip with some cool glasses of lemonade. (I gotta stop watching Gone With the Wind so much! ) I love it so much. My dream is to have a (non-haunted) Victorian home and full of antiques.

I'm quite fascinated with the Victorian era as well. Perhaps someone should start a thread on the Victorian era.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/16/10 at 11:12 pm

Do you think anyone would respond to the Victorian era thread? I mean no one here on the board is old enough to have lived through it. LOL.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/10 at 12:04 am

Do you think anyone would respond to the Victorian era thread? I mean no one here on the board is old enough to have lived through it. LOL.

The Victorian era was like from 1827 to 1901.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/17/10 at 9:06 am

If they have enough interest, then I don't see why they wouldn't. I wasn't alive in the '50s, but I still responded to a thread about it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/10 at 10:41 am

The Victorian era was like from 1827 to 1901.

Victoria reigned from 1837 until her death in January of 2001.  The period we really think of as "Victorian," IMO, runs from about 1860 until the start of WWI.  The culture loosened up somewhat when Edward VII came in, but it was WWI that reversed the fortunes of the British Empire and thus its hegemony over social mores.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/10 at 10:50 am

Victoria reigned from 1837 until her death in January of 2001.  The period we really think of as "Victorian," IMO, runs from about 1860 until the start of WWI.  The culture loosened up somewhat when Edward VII came in, but it was WWI that reversed the fortunes of the British Empire and thus its hegemony over social mores.
Do you mean 1901 for the death queen Victoria?

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/10 at 10:00 pm

It's almost Christmas.

If you still have living grandparents, ask them when you go home to visit them next week.

And take notes.  And post them here.  Because in 10-20 years nobody alive will remember those things.  This year may be your last chance to learn, first-hand, what life was like before you - or your parents - were born.

Written By: mooster on 12/28/10 at 4:03 am

IMHO - the 20s and the 70s

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/28/10 at 6:05 pm

It's almost Christmas.

If you still have living grandparents, ask them when you go home to visit them next week.

And take notes.  And post them here.  Because in 10-20 years nobody alive will remember those things.  This year may be your last chance to learn, first-hand, what life was like before you - or your parents - were born.

My maternal grandmother was born in 1928 and spent her childhood living on a farm in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl/Great Depression. She told me some interesting stories about sleeping through dust storms and getting attacked by farm animals.

Written By: Shiv on 12/29/10 at 12:02 am

I think 60s, 70s, and 80s fashion was cool.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 10:15 pm

I think 60s, 70s, and 80s fashion was cool.

I'm not a fan of 80's fashion; no offense to those that like it. But I agree with you about the 60's and 70's fashion.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/lsvader.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...