» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: My pop culture from the 90's-present thread

Written By: Emman on 12/31/10 at 4:04 pm

These are trends based on the terms of american presidents from 1989 to current.

George Bush Sr. :1989-1992 "Early 90's Era"
Saved By The Bell, house music, hip house,Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, high top fades,Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, neon clothes, Kris Kross, Soul 2 Soul, "Groove Is in The Heart", golden age hip hop, early grunge/ alternative, hippie revival/retro 60's, new jack swing, shoegazer scence, funk metal, Kid N Play, Bill and Ted, Wanye's World, In Living Color, Arsenal Hall, Family Matters, Boys N The Hood, parachute pants, "Vogue", Sonic Youth, The Pixies, dancehall, Edward Scissorhands, "Smells Like Teen Spirit", Mariah Carey, Bobby Brown, The Simpsons/Bart Simpson, Gameboy, "Too Sexy", Fresh Pince of Bel Air, Technotronic, "Black or White", Faith No More"Epic", A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Do The Right Thing, fall of the Berlin Wall, Desert Storm, "Nothing Compares to You"," I Touch Myself", NWA, Rodeny King incident, "Mama Said Knock You Out", The Black Album"Enter Sandman", backwards cap, Jesus Jones"Right Here Right Now"," Unbelieveable"

Bill Clinton first term :1993-1996 "Mid 90's Era"
Grunge, gangsta rap, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre, Friday, Nirvana, Hootie and the Blowfish, Pearl Jam, O'Jay Simpson trial, Alanis Morissette, Boys 2 Men, slow jams/R&B, TLC, Britpop, Clueless, flannel, doc martens, Beavis and Butthead, Realtiy Bites, slackers, Beck, "Gangsta Paradise", folky acoustic music popular, Blur, Oasis, baggy jeans, Macarena, deaths of Kurt Cobian and Tupac, Nine Inch Nails, Industial Metal, Ren and Stimpy, "Kiss From A Rose", "What is Love", "Informer", perms, baby doll dresses, herione chic, caesar hair cut, Rachel cut, Friends, Party of Five, early internet, "Black Hole Sun", "This Is How We Do It", Toy Story, Space Jam, Bone Thugs N Harmony, The Smashing Pumpkins, pony tails, West Coast vs. East Coast, Playstation

Bill Clinton second term : 1997-2000 "Late 90's Era"
Teen pop, Y2k, Nu Metal, South Park, Big Beat, Boy Bands, Eminem, Whazzup, Pokemon, Titanic, Spice Girls, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, Hansen, Marilyn Manson, New Radicals, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, sports jersey, short spikey hair, shiney suits, Puff Daddy, Eurodance, Lilth Fair, Latin pop, French House, height of retro 70's revival, American Pie, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Britney Spears, TRL, teen movies, Scary Movie, dial up, economy boom years, Furby, Tamagachi, Dolly the cloned sheep, Korn, Teletubbies, soccer mom, Ricky Marten, J Lo, "Getting Jiggy With It", Men In Black, The Matrix, Gladiator, "Who Let The Dogs Out, "Thong Song, Destiny's Child, Fiona Apple, The Prodigy"Smack My B****h Up", loungey music, Smash Mouth, Master P, "Ray Of Light", "The Real Slim Shady", Dreamcast

George Bush Jr. first term : 2001-2004 "Early-Mid 00's Era"
Reality TV, 9-11, Beyonce, Survivor, Crunk, Bling-Bling, Fo Shizzle,Cribs, Metrosexual, Nelly, Outkast, Pop Punk, The Neptunes, Justin Timberlake, "Get Ur Freak On", Pink, Avil Lavigne, Nickelback, Linkin Park, 50 Cent/G-Unit, "Get Low", Dave Chappel's Show, Jay-Z, "Cry Me A River", low rise jeans, uggs, Alicia Keys, trucker hats, boho fashion, Lindsay Logan, "Grindin", Spiderman movies, Iraq War, "In Da Club", "Yeah", "Hot in Here", American Idol, 24, The Shield, Family Guy, I Pod, J-Kwon" Tipsy", height of anime, 04' election/vote or die, American Idiot, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy, Dance Punk, Garage Rock Revival, The Killers, The White Stripes, The Strokes, "Crazy in Love", "Slave For You", velour track suits, Lil Jon, Paris Hilton, Electroclash, X box, Halo, CSI, Best Week Ever

George Bush Jr second term : 2005-2008 "Mid-Late 00's Era"
Emo, Ringtone Rap/Snap music, Web 2.0, Akon, Ciara, Crazy Frog, Fallout Boy, Panic at the Disco, Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, Hyphy, BFF, Dance-pop, Rihanna, Chris Brown, T-Pain, "Bad Day", "SexyBack", "Crazy", YouTube, Myspace, I phone, Autotune, crocs, High School Musical, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, grills, Chopped N Screwed, Reggaeton, Lost, Bones, House, Leggings come back, Kanye West, Juno, Transformers, "Holla Back Girl", Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, Penguin trend(yeah it was one),Neyo, 08' election, Katy Perry, Flo Rida, Knocked Up, 40 year Old Virgin, Iron Man movie, New Rave, "D.A.N.C.E", fauxhawk, 300, Superbad, texting, "My Humps", "London Bridge", screamo, Hurricane Katrina, T.I., Pimp My Ride, "Crank Dat", Wii, Dancing With The Stars, "Ridin Dirty", "Stronger", shaggy hair/wings

Barack Obama : 2009-2012 "Early 10's Era"
Electropop/dance music takeover, Lady Gaga, Kid Cudi, the great recession, Glee, Jersey Shore,"Single Ladies", neon buffalo plaid, tight colorful jeans, B.o.B, Techno Rap/Jerkin, Swine Flu, Michael Jackson dies, Ke$ha, Justin Bieber, Drake, David Guetta, "Boom Boom Pow", "Poker Face", futuristic glam fashion, Avatar, Taylor Swift, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, indie music getting popular, BP Oil Spill, going green,"Sexy Chick", Owl City, The New Tea Party, V neck shirts, small-fitting vest, Dubstep, Island Pop, geek chic, iPad, Facebook, Twitter, Twilight Saga, alternative energy, 2012, Glo Fi, We are the World 25, Vevo, "Telephone", Snuggie," Day N Night", Nicki Minja, smart phones, end of analog TV, "Soul Sister", Kick Ass, Kings of Leon, Haiti Earthquake/various earthquakes in 10', Health Care Reform, La Roux, Synthetic Life, Wikileaks

Subject: Re: My pop culture from the 90's-present thread

Written By: tv on 01/01/11 at 2:03 pm

I think  the 2nd half of 2005  should be with the mid to late 00's era and the first half of 2005 should be with the early to mid 00's era.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/11 at 5:51 pm

I wonder if rap will ever be as big as it was from 2002-2008?!  ???

Written By: Emman on 01/01/11 at 6:46 pm

I think  the 2nd half of 2005  should be with the mid to late 00's era and the first half of 2005 should be with the early to mid 00's era.

I think you're right about that, in late 2005, alot of the things that would be popular in the late 00's began appearing, like snap rap for example(plus it's in the later half of the decade any way).

Written By: Emman on 01/01/11 at 6:51 pm

I wonder if rap will ever be as big as it was from 2002-2008?!  ???

Hip-hop is going to have to change alot, I'm thinking some kind of alternative rap/pop mixed with various influences not usually seen in traditional rap might become popular, but I don't know if rap music will ever again have the monopoly it had on mainstream music during the 00's.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/03/11 at 9:25 am

I think you should have also mentioned same-sex marriage, which was the dominant social issue of the '00s. You should have also mentioned the immigration debate following the controversial Arizona law, as well as the rampant Islamophobia that started after 9/11 and seemed to have culminated in 2010 as a response to the proposed Islamic center being built in Manhattan.

Written By: tv on 01/03/11 at 6:27 pm

I think you're right about that, in late 2005, alot of the things that would be popular in the late 00's began appearing, like snap rap for example(plus it's in the later half of the decade any way).
yeah I agree with that.

Written By: tv on 01/03/11 at 6:28 pm

Hip-hop is going to have to change alot, I'm thinking some kind of alternative rap/pop mixed with various influences not usually seen in traditional rap might become popular, but I don't know if rap music will ever again have the monopoly it had on mainstream music during the 00's.
Isn't that what "Bruno Mars" is doing now?

Written By: Emman on 01/03/11 at 10:28 pm

Isn't that what "Bruno Mars" is doing now?

Yeah he is kind of doing that, he says he's influenced by doo wop of all things. I also wonder if indie music will be dominant in the 10's, I've been online and alot of people really think this is going to be the "indie" decade, bands like MGMT are already popular. There's this indie group called Sleigh Bells, their music truly seems unique, it's like a mix of hardcore punk, loud hip-hop beats, soft singing, and electropop, maybe some weird quirky mix like that will catch. I think the electropop trend is due to expire soon and will morph into another trend, probably another pop or electronic stlye.

Check for new replies or respond here...