» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Double nostalgia

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/15/11 at 8:17 am

Do you ever enjoy this variety of nostalgia where something presented actually provides more than one layer of nostalgia? For example:

-Paul Davis song '65 love affair: Early '80s pop with lyrics about 1965 and the video provides clips of that era.
-Back To The Future ('50s and '80s nostalgia, at the time the movie was released it was just '50s nostalgia).
-Grease movie ('70s-syle production/Discoish title song with '50s nostalgia)
-Happy Days ('70s/early '80s production style with '50s/early '60s nostalgia)
-Super Mario All Stars (Early '90s SNES graphics with NES-era gameplay)

I actually like this as multigenerational nostalgia gives a better understanding of history and progress. Also, as time passes on, this multigenerational nostalgia may increase. For example, VHS tapes from the '80s/'90s with various intros/logs/occassional commercials with movies that were already considered classics at the time.

Subject: Re: Double nostalgia

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/15/11 at 4:54 pm

One thing for sure about such nostalgia: you can tell what particular "nostalgia" captured our imagination at the time the song, movie or show was released.  As an example, one might not know that late 50s nostalgia was popular in the mid/late 70s, if it weren't for artifacts like "Grease" or "Happy Days".

The mid-70's seemed to be the first time folks got nostalgic for any other part of the rock era.  I suppose this is natural, given the timing of things.  Before that (based only on my recollection) nostalgia was not very "cool".  But in the mid 70's, 50's nostalgia became "cool".

Written By: sonikuu on 02/16/11 at 3:20 am

One thing for sure about such nostalgia: you can tell what particular "nostalgia" captured our imagination at the time the song, movie or show was released.  As an example, one might not know that late 50s nostalgia was popular in the mid/late 70s, if it weren't for artifacts like "Grease" or "Happy Days".

The mid-70's seemed to be the first time folks got nostalgic for any other part of the rock era.  I suppose this is natural, given the timing of things.  Before that (based only on my recollection) nostalgia was not very "cool".  But in the mid 70's, 50's nostalgia became "cool".

Yeah, the 70s is when nostalgia finally started to become cool.  To be honest, it was pretty hard to be nostalgic before that.  It's hard to wax a lot of nostalgia over the 1930s or the 1940s (outside of "fighting the good fight" in WWII or something like that) when you consider what those decades were like and the 1920s were just too distant.  By the 1970s though, after all the upheaval and social unrest of the late 60s/early 70s area, the 50s were being embraced as a more "innocent" time.  It was a natural reaction, I guess.

50s nostalgia was in fashion through the first half of the 80s too.  My dad graduated in 1983 and his school had "50s Day" as one of their days during School Spirit Week.  Throw in other stuff like the 50s-esque music of the Stray Cats and the 1985 release of Back to the Future as well.  Is it just me or was 50s and 70s nostalgia more prominent than 60s nostalgia?  Aside from a few things like Forrest Gump and the various autobiographical films of the early 90s (JFK, Malcolm X, etc.  Don't know if that's exactly nostalgia though...), it seemed like 50s, 70s, and 80s nostalgia was more prominent.  Maybe that's just me though.  Any thoughts?

Written By: Davester on 02/16/11 at 3:00 pm

Do you ever enjoy this variety of nostalgia where something presented actually provides more than one layer of nostalgia? For example:

A person wouldn't expect an accurate portrayal of life in the 1950s (or 1960s whatever) by watching an episode of Happy Days, but it can be fun...

It's entertainment.  I take it for what it is...

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/23/11 at 9:42 am

Somewhat related to my above post, but I feel like there is occassionally some "secondary nostalgia" of a time period, where for a while after the "main" nostalgic period where interest wanes, a secondary, usually smaller revival of an era occurs, sometimes encompassing more than a decade than the original era, and while the "main" nostalgia period ususally takes place 15-30 years after the era, and the second usually takes place 45-60 years of the actual events, and is sort of the "grandfather nostalgia" compared to the "parents generation nostalgia" of the first revival. For example, while in the '80s you had lots of mid-50s-early '60s nostalgia around, the show Miami Vice actually sparked a bit of Art Deco revival (1920s-30s), and some of the fashions of the 1980s did contain both '20s and '50s 1960s and 1970s (songs like Sir Duke harkened back to that era and Boogie Woogie Buggle Boy was a hit then). Nowadays, the 1950s and early/mid 1960s are increasingly being referred to as being part of the "midcentury modern" era (see the before the '70s thread for a link), on top of the '80s/early '90s nostalgia currently, and fashions of the past few seasons have had elemens of both eras. So this usually proves that an era gets a revival twice: once for the children, and again for the grandchildren.

Check for new replies or respond here...