» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: More than a Century- who is the all time Eighties king (1780s, 1880s, 1980s)?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/21/11 at 6:38 am

Most people today would still pick Michael Jackson over Gilbert & Sullivan and many over Mozart. But for these three peformers who were the biggest star in the Eighties decade of their respective century in terms of critical impact over time? Think about the popularity, critical acclaim, and academic studies. Will Michael Jackson be considered "fine arts" in a few decades or will just be a vintage pop act? Will Gilbert & Sullivan still have good appeal? Will Mozart still be enjoyed regularly at concert halls?

Subject: Re: More than a Century- who is the all time Eighties king (1780s, 1880s, 1980s)?

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/21/11 at 9:55 pm

"2285: Martian rock singer reconstituted from the DNA of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart records Rock me Michael Jackson MichaelJacksonMichaeljacksonmichaeljackson..."

(But the Commissioner for Temporal Integrity was in the neighborhood and strongly suggested that I remain facing forward...)

N2a3nbTrO_c

...and so I decided to go with the other pop star who got a #1 hit single some 200 years after his career had officially ended.  Four years, the Commisar could overlook, but 274 was right out.  Everybody kills Hitler on their first trip.  Me?  I'd have loved to have known what Mozart would have done with a DX-7.

Subject: Re: More than a Century- who is the all time Eighties king (1780s, 1880s, 1980s)?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/11 at 2:24 am

For me, for the 1880s it would be the Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky that had more "popularity, critical acclaim, and academic studies" than Gilbert & Sullivan.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/22/11 at 7:37 am

Mozart's popularity waned in the late '80s and when he died he was buried in a common grave.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/11 at 2:21 pm

Mozart's popularity waned in the late '80s and when he died he was buried in a common grave.
He spent his life composing, and from his death he has been de-composing since.

Check for new replies or respond here...