» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bands/artists who ended their peak prematurely

Written By: Emman on 03/24/11 at 8:16 pm

What bands or artists do you think ended prematurely, do you think they had alot more quality material to offer, I personally think a band like The Police or somebody like Jimi Hendrix(especially him) ended their artistic periods prematurely. 
In contrast, I think Michael Jackson for example did everything he had to do within his peak period (late 70s-mid 90s).

Subject: Re: Bands/artists who ended their peak prematurely

Written By: whistledog on 03/24/11 at 11:15 pm

Suede, or The London Suede (as they were known as in the USA) were still on top when they called it quits in 2003.  They had so much more to offer, and now they may still get that  chance as they reformed last year.

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/11 at 1:06 am

I think both the Beatles and The Eagles ended their 'prime' period prematurely (the Eagles to a lesser extent).

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/25/11 at 6:52 am

I think both the Beatles and The Eagles ended their 'prime' period prematurely (the Eagles to a lesser extent).

Well, both of these bands had most of their members have successful solo careers and basically did everything they could have done within their prime. Now, those who died young are obvious qualifiers, but in terms by people who didn't die until they were at least 50 or are still around today, those are the real qualifiers. Some bands/artists are questionable because of "selling out"- remaining commercially successful, but past their creative peaks (Genesis, Chicago, Metallica, Aerosmith for example). But in terms of people who not only passed a creative peak but also dwindled in sales at a fairly young age, I'd say Culture Club, Limp Bizkit, Creed, most Nu Metal bands, most Hair Metal bands except for Bon Jovi due to the backlash caused by grunge, and many more. K.C. and the Sunshine band is another unique case due to disco's backlash after only enjoying about 5 years of popularity.

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/11 at 9:27 am

The first memer of The Eagles to go solo was Randy Meisner and he scored a Top 40 hit in 1980 called 'Deep Inside My Heart' (a duet with Kim Carnes).  This may have spurred on the others to want solo desires.

Written By: tv on 03/25/11 at 4:52 pm

Jody Watley, Taylor Dayne,  Irene Cara, Jessica Simpson(if she had the right people around her), Shania Twain, 98 Degrees, Next(the R&B group), come to mind.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/11 at 2:03 am

What bands or artists do you think ended prematurely, do you think they had alot more quality material to offer, I personally think a band like The Police or somebody like Jimi Hendrix(especially him) ended their artistic periods prematurely. 
In contrast, I think Michael Jackson for example did everything he had to do within his peak period (late 70s-mid 90s).

Yeah I notice that after about 1995, Michael Jackson never went out in public as much or did as many interview as he did before the mid 90s. I also noticed he only made one album in 2001, Invincible. He was one smart man and stopped making music when he felt he no longer had anything to say.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/11 at 2:03 am

Janis Joplin?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/27/11 at 2:06 am

Jody Watley, Taylor Dayne,  Irene Cara, Jessica Simpson(if she had the right people around her), Shania Twain, 98 Degrees, Next(the R&B group), come to mind.

Wow, I haven't thought of Shania Twain in a long time! Her peak definitely was from late 1997 to early 1999 with Come On Over.

Written By: tv on 05/09/11 at 3:38 pm

I think "Brian McKnight" belongs on the list. I mean he had one hit each in 1992 and 1993. The 1992 hit was with Vanessa Williams was one of the most recognized songs of the 90's called "Love Is". The 1993 hit was one of the best ballads of the 90's called "One Last Cry". He did nothing from 1994-1997 except a minor hit called "Crazy Love" in 1995 that peaked at #45 on the Hot 100 and #10 on the US R&B chart and I think people wrote him off. Then in 1998-early 1999 I think critics thought he was ready to have the career that people thought he would originally have with hits like the notable hit "Anytime", Other songs that were hits in that era were "Back At One", You Should Be Mine(Don't Waste Your Time) w/ rapper "Mase",  "Hold Me" and "The Only One For Me". After that period he never had success on the Billboard Hot 100 except for a minor hit in 2001 or 2002 called "Love Of My Life" which peaked at #51 on The Hot 100 and #11 on the US R&B chart even though he released a few albums after that era. I remember him saying a few months ago he was gonna focus on singles rather than album sales because people don't get into albums anymore listening wise I guess.

Botton Line: I think Brian McKnight had a weird career with the couple hits at first then the 4 year break except that minor hit in 1995. He then had a year of success basically and then faded out after that. People thought he had Luther Vandross type talent but a long sustained success of a career didn't play out for him. He has released albums since his 1998-early 1999 peak but they never saw the type of success that his 1998- early 1999 fame did except for another minor hit in 2002.

Written By: joeman on 05/11/11 at 11:32 am

Nirvana, but due to Kurt Cobain's death.  If he were still alive today, I'd say grunge as a whole would have died out in 1997 and we wouldn't be having a post-grunge.  However, I cannot imagine another musical state coming in after that besides a Hair Metal revival(dear god no...).

Written By: RG1995 on 05/11/11 at 2:25 pm

Nirvana, but due to Kurt Cobain's death.  If he were still alive today, I'd say grunge as a whole would have died out in 1997 and we wouldn't be having a post-grunge.  However, I cannot imagine another musical state coming in after that besides a Hair Metal revival(dear god no...).
You're forgetting all of the Rock genres from the 00s like Nu-Metal, Emo, Garage Rock, New Wave, etc, etc

THE POLICE

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/11 at 8:35 pm

Janis Joplin?

Definitely.

Glenn Miller, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, Jimi Hendrix, and GG Allin!
;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 10:00 pm

Glenn Miller, Buddy Holly & The Crickets, Jimi Hendrix, and GG Allin!

Do you want to play game now!  OK, HERE!  I HELP!

0WhuikFY1Pg

One of these things is not like the other things!
One of these things just doesn't belong!
Can you guess which thing is not like the other thing?
Before GG does things to Cookie Monster, that...
...that I can't sing in this song!

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/15/11 at 3:10 pm

The Doors. They were in the midst of a great comeback and were in a transition from their 60s psychedelic rock sound, to a hard rock/bluesier sound which better fit the '70s. Their last record even had hints of Funk Rock. They probably could've survived into the decade and remained popular and continued the upswing of their popularity throughout the decade if Morrison had lived past 1971.

Check for new replies or respond here...