» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Three eras of pop culture

Written By: youngerderek on 03/29/11 at 6:14 pm

what do you think? im writing it for a school assignment.

1920-1946: The Jazz Age

*swing and jazz music, later, big band music, tin pan alley etc
*the urban societies of the western world become Modern, as seen with the use of radio, and the rise of skyscrapers and art deco
*a kind of neo-romanticism seen in the chivalry inspired by World War 2 and movies such as Gone With The Wind
*arguably the golden age of physics
*the early days of Hollywood and movies
*the first time period in which Western societies had the luxury of electric power and cars

1947-1991: The Cold War

*the most notable music trend of this era is Pop and Rock music
*the primary medium of popular culture was the Television
*obviously, the US-Soviet rivalry defined the condition of the world in these years, inspired the Space race, etc
*perhaps the golden age of Science Fiction
*Kitsch/camp/cheesy art and style defined this period, and this is largely tied to the Space Age vibe of the era
*most of America and Europe's Civil Rights struggles took place in this time
*Computers existed, but were uncommon and mysterious to the average person

1992-present: Age of Sarcasm

*the most important music of this era is Alternative, Hip Hop, and EDM. Manufactured Teen Pop fills the commercial realm but is
resented by the majority of the public.
*the primary medium of communication is the Internet, beginning around the year 2004. the fall of the Soviet Union made
the US government open the Internet to the public, so it is no coincidence the Information Age began right after the Cold War
ended.
*the political climate of this era is something of a mix of random political events, such as the Kosovo conflict and many of the
battles in the Middle East, and the push for a one world governance by the United States and UN as well as by the global elite
class. 'Terrorism' becomes a buzzword in this era.
*the humor of this era is sarcastic and often off-color. It also largely centers around current events, a result of the information-
saturated time we live in. current day humor is defined by animated sitcoms like the Simpsons and also by political/current news
humor such as the Daily Show and Colbert Report.
*The fashion of this time is fiercely Individualistic. Tattoos and body piercings become almost totally mainstream, almost to the
point that they are a symbol of conformity rather than a statement of individuality. The present fashion alternates between
glamorous (sometimes to a ridiculous extreme, such as the Bling Bling fad), and super-casual.

Subject: Re: Three eras of pop culture

Written By: Emman on 03/29/11 at 9:06 pm

I think it is a pretty good summary of the last 90 years, I would call the Age of Sarcasm the Information Age instead though.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/30/11 at 6:03 am

woww this is good!!

nahh i think the current period were on is considered both sarcasm and information decade....

i think youngerderrek was refering to the culture* reference and sarcasm is a very nice word to describe it

lol i only know the world in the age of sarcasm :D

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/30/11 at 6:48 am

And there are three sub-eras within each era:

The Jazz age distinctively divides into the Roaring '20s, Great Depression '30s, and WWII.
The Cold War era divides into the postwar sub-era (1947-1962), the Vietnam & social reform sub-era, (1963-1975) and self-individualism (1976-1991) sub-era, with the Cold War taking a backseat to Vietnam and social reform in the middle sub-era. Also, computers were becoming popular with the masses during that later sub-era.
The "Sarcasm" era divides into the benign Post-Cold War era (1992-2000), the age of paranoia with (2001-2009), and (2010-?) may be the start of the "nanotech era", where problems are solved with small, mobile devices and is sort of an echo of the self-individualism era with narrowcasting dominant and cloud computing.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/30/11 at 10:40 am

Your paper sounds fascinating. Why don't you show it to us once you're finished?

Written By: joeman on 04/01/11 at 7:15 am

Personally I start the age of sarcasm a little earlier, like 1985, because that is when most of the gritty comic books started to come out like the Watchmen and X-Men(they were out since the 60s but by the mid80s they turned dark and abysmal, especially with the Mutant Massacre storyline).

Written By: youngerderek on 04/02/11 at 6:45 pm

Personally I start the age of sarcasm a little earlier, like 1985, because that is when most of the gritty comic books started to come out like the Watchmen and X-Men(they were out since the 60s but by the mid80s they turned dark and abysmal, especially with the Mutant Massacre storyline).

good point. i found the movie Stand By Me from 1986 quite dark and cynical as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...