» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: punctuated equilibrium?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:51 pm

do you think time flows smoothly, always changing at the same pace, or are there years where little changes and then vast, brief punctuations with major changes? if you're not familiar with the concept of Punctuated Equilibrium, here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

it's a Biology concept, but can be applied to pretty much anything.

Subject: Re: punctuated equilibrium?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/11 at 1:31 am

Has this anything to do with Charles Darwin?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:54 am

Has this anything to do with Charles Darwin?

no. well like i said, it's a biological concept, i think it IS darwinian, but it applies to many different things aside from Biology.

Written By: Davester on 04/10/11 at 7:14 pm

do you think time flows smoothly, always changing at the same pace, or are there years where little changes and then vast, brief punctuations with major changes?

What do you think..?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 4:52 am

What do you think..?

i think time is always changing, but certain periods have far more change than other periods where things kinda cruise along slowly. and that is why time seems broken up into eras when it's actually continuous. but that is just my perception. what is yours?

Written By: Davester on 04/12/11 at 4:57 pm

The article you supplied addresses evolutionary biology.  I don't know about any of that but time is a measure of decay.  The assignment of eras is a human endeavor.  Evolutionary biology probably doesn't recognize cultural eras...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/11 at 1:27 am

The times they're a-changin'.

Check for new replies or respond here...