» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Demographic shifts (an article)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 9:49 am

About half of the world's present population was born in 1984 or later. While this sounds surprising, it makes sense when you
consider the huge population explosion in the Third World in the 1980s and 1990s, and the fact that many of these countries
have large mortality rates.

So, out of 1984's total population, somewhere between about 70% and 75% of the people alive then are still alive now. The
difference is primarily the many people born since then. This also means the population of 2011 (globally) is about 36-37%
identical to that of 1984.

About 37% of the world's population was born later than spring 1990, and about 80% of 1990's population is still alive today, which
means today's population is about 50% identical to 1990's population.

The human population is totally replaced (every single person is different) every 115-125 years. Back in 1900, when people
only lived an average of 40 years (due mostly to child mortality, few people actually died around age 40 even then), it only took
about 10 years for the population to become 50% different people. So, amazingly, 1890 was about half different people than 1900
was, because 1/4 of the world's population would have died over that time and another 1/4 would be born (resulting in a mere 56%
identical population for years only a decade apart).

This is currently, as the math above shows, now about 21 years. People now live on average somewhere between 65 and 70 years,
globally, but because of recent demographic booms, you can't use the 1/4 rule to find when the population is nearly halfway
different. Because the older generations have a lot less individuals than the younger generations presently, death rates are
far lower than birth rates. When you remember there were only about 2.3 billion people when WW2 happened (when present
day senior citizens were born/growing up), there are obviously a lot less people dying of old age than there are people being
born. At least half the people alive in 1970 are actually still alive today because the global population in 1970, especially in the
First World, was young due to the Baby Boom.

So as you can see, it takes MUCH less time to make the population of humans on earth more different than the same, than it
does to make EVERY human different. The oldest person alive in 2011 was born way back in 1896, but you only have to go back
to somewhere around 1989 or 1990 to find a population that is only 50% in common with the present population! So really,
in a sense, this may explain why 20 years is enough to be a different 'era', in a strange way, 20 years is almost like half a
century, even though it's only 1/5 as long.

Subject: Re: Demographic shifts (an article)

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/11 at 11:51 am

I didn't know demographics could shift articles?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 9:58 pm

I didn't know demographics could shift articles?

goofball  :D

Written By: Davester on 04/11/11 at 10:21 pm

Neat article.  We should seriously be looking for other worlds to populate so we can exploit it's natural resources, cover it with Starbuck's franchises and bitch about cell phone coverage, Canada style... 

But what does any of this have to do with A-Ha..?

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/11 at 10:27 pm

It makes the Sun Always Shine on TV?
It brings The Living Daylights?
It gives you a train of thought

Or it just makes you want to listen to the Hunting High and Low album

A-ha were not one hit wonders, and I pitty da fool who says otha wise :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-qF6CbJo2vY/Sjox-wri80I/AAAAAAAAFxI/7QILKWJ-pXI/s400/Mr_T.jpg

Written By: Davester on 04/11/11 at 10:28 pm

Vulcan, perhaps?  I like the minimalist architecture...

(note to self:  bring air conditioner...)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 10:31 pm

Neat article.  We should seriously be looking for other worlds to populate so we can exploit it's natural resources, cover it with Starbuck's franchises and bitch about cell phone coverage, Canada style... 

ahhhh, the world isn't that bad yet. lots of places still look the same as 100 years ago, despite the starbucks and walmart sprawl.  8)

Written By: Davester on 04/11/11 at 10:34 pm

ahhhh, the world isn't that bad yet. lots of places still look the same as 100 years ago, despite the starbucks and walmart sprawl.  8)

Ya gotta admit, derek, good parking spaces are getting harder and harder to come-by... :P

Written By: Davester on 04/11/11 at 10:37 pm

It makes the Sun Always Shine on TV?
It brings The Living Daylights?
It gives you a train of thought

Or it just makes you want to listen to the Hunting High and Low album

A-ha were not one hit wonders, and I pitty da fool who says otha wise :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-qF6CbJo2vY/Sjox-wri80I/AAAAAAAAFxI/7QILKWJ-pXI/s400/Mr_T.jpg

And I pity da foo who doesn't think Stay On These Roads isn't a solid pop album..!

I hate it when Mr. T looks at me like that...

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/11 at 11:03 pm

And I pity da foo who doesn't think Stay On These Roads isn't a solid pop album..!

I hate it when Mr. T looks at me like that...

The title track from that album is one of the most beautiful pop ballads of the 80s. 

Check for new replies or respond here...