» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How much of global pop culture is of US/UK origin?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 3:49 pm

It seems like most global pop culture eras, the stuff all countries share, originates in the US and UK. Often times, it's a back-and-forth communication between England and America, such as Rock n roll in the 60s and New Wave in the 80s, and Indie rock in the 90s.

Do you think this is changing? In the near future, will Chinese and Indian culture be as much a part of the global culture? Or will it always be Los Angeles/London/New York centric?

Subject: Re: How much of global pop culture is of US/UK origin?

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/11 at 9:04 pm

How much of your posts is of relevant interest?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 9:44 pm

How much of your posts is of relevant interest?

i dunno, how many are yours? im not breaking any rules am i?  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/11 at 1:19 am

Can Australian music be brought into the topic?

Written By: karen on 04/22/11 at 3:03 am

It seems like most global pop culture eras, the stuff all countries share, originates in the US and UK. Often times, it's a back-and-forth communication between England and America, such as Rock n roll in the 60s and New Wave in the 80s, and Indie rock in the 90s.

Do you think this is changing? In the near future, will Chinese and Indian culture be as much a part of the global culture? Or will it always be Los Angeles/London/New York centric?

Years ago I worked with some people researching cultural preferences for musical scales.  There is a marked difference between Western and Eastern musical scales (such as intervals betwwen notes).  This can make music from a different culture sound harsher, more shrill or jarring to the ear. 

I'm sure that more exposure to the music will help it to become more familiar but I don't think it will ever be as popular

Written By: tv on 04/27/11 at 10:03 am

Oh this is why we have to hear about "The Royal Wedding" so much. I mean live in the US and I feel like I've been beaten over the head with this "Royal Wedding" thing.

Written By: karen on 04/27/11 at 11:45 am

Oh this is why we have to hear about "The Royal Wedding" so much. I mean live in the US and I feel like I've been beaten over the head with this "Royal Wedding" thing.

Try living in the UK!

Although it does mean a day off work

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/11 at 12:02 pm

Try living in the UK!

Although it does mean a day off work
Try living in the London!

I have the day off!

Written By: tv on 04/28/11 at 1:05 pm

Try living in the London!

I have the day off!
Oh I guess the streets are closed off in London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/11 at 1:06 pm

Oh I guess the streets are closed off in London.
The central streets of London are closed off.

Check for new replies or respond here...