» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: When did video games stop being considered nerdy?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:25 pm

I know back in the eighties, gaming was seen as nerdy. Not so much at arcades, but if you owned an Atari, or played RPGs, that was kind of nerdy. Nowadays though, video games, with the exception of MMORGs and RPGs are not seen as nerdy at all.

Subject: Re: When did video games stop being considered nerdy?

Written By: snozberries on 04/21/11 at 6:31 pm

When will your contribution here be relaxant?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:32 pm

When will your contribution here be relaxant?

When will yours?

Written By: snozberries on 04/21/11 at 6:40 pm

When will yours?

I suppose when there's finally something interesting posted to dialogue about.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:47 pm

I suppose when there's finally something interesting posted to dialogue about.

Interesting is subjective, of course. What would you find interesting that is pop culture and era-related?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/11 at 7:15 pm

I know back in the eighties, gaming was seen as nerdy. Not so much at arcades, but if you owned an Atari, or played RPGs, that was kind of nerdy. Nowadays though, video games, with the exception of MMORGs and RPGs are not seen as nerdy at all.

I'd say by the mid-90s, it was no longer 'nerdy'.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/21/11 at 7:32 pm

I'd say when the SNES came out.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 7:34 pm

I'd say when the SNES came out.

what year was that, '92?

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/21/11 at 7:52 pm

what year was that, '92?

No, it came out in '91.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/11 at 9:01 pm

I know back in the eighties, gaming was seen as nerdy.

If you owned an Atari, you were cool because not everyone had one, or could afford to own one.  Had you have been alive in that era, you would know that, but you were not, so you don't know

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 9:45 pm

If you owned an Atari, you were cool because not everyone had one, or could afford to own one.  Had you have been alive in that era, you would know that, but you were not, so you don't know

mmmkay

Written By: Davester on 04/23/11 at 2:17 pm

I know back in the eighties, gaming was seen as nerdy. Not so much at arcades, but if you owned an Atari, or played RPGs, that was kind of nerdy...

Video games, coin-ops or otherwise, were not considered nerdy...

BUT...they were widely regarded as a helluva lot of fun..!

PCs, however, were pretty much considered nerdy...

To add: RPGs were considered "geeky" (geekish?), as well.  I think it was Foo Bar who once pointed out the difference between a nerd and a geek - "a nerd is ashamed, a geek is proud"...

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/11 at 11:27 pm

Video games, coin-ops or otherwise, were not considered nerdy...

BUT...they were widely regarded as a helluva lot of fun..!

PCs, however, were pretty much considered nerdy...

To add: RPGs were considered "geeky" (geekish?), as well.  I think it was Foo Bar who once pointed out the difference between a nerd and a geek - "a nerd is ashamed, a geek is proud"...

/takes a bow

I can't take credit for the idea, thought.  It's shown up consistently over the past few years, but I know I didn't come up with it, and I know it predates this awesome June 2007 blog post that serves as a good jumping-off point for studies into the evolution of the distinction.  It may predate this Jon Katz article from 1997 and his followup commentary about it, but I think the Katz articles are, if not the source of the idea, very close to it.  I do remember having read them and nodding my head in agreement - my circle of geek/nerd friends had engaged in similar debates, and while we were never sure on which side of the line we belonged, we all agreed that there was a distinction.

With the benefit of 20 years of hindsight, a lot of the distinction is having another 10-20 years during which you can develop hindsight.  (What, the cute girl who had a crush on you but you were too nerdy to notice it?  Ir that nerdy girl on whom you could have easily developed a crush, but she was too nerdy for you to notice as anything other than a damn fine slinger of 6809 and you were both too busy making sure your modded ROMs would work when you got that once-a-month chance to use the gear at her dad's lab at the local and burn some custom ROM cartridges?  Guess what?  It's been 30 years, you're both geeks with your own lives by now, so laugh about your larval stage nerdiness and let it slide.)

Written By: Ghost of Jessmass Past on 04/28/11 at 9:42 pm

When I started playing them, because I'm so awesome.

Written By: Midas on 05/01/11 at 1:04 pm

Ummm.no.

1. Atari was not nerdy.  RPGs to an extent yes.
2. RPGs and MMORGs are more nerdy than before.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/djmidas96/larper10.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/11 at 1:28 pm

Ummm.no.

1. Atari was not nerdy.  RPGs to an extent yes.
2. RPGs and MMORGs are more nerdy than before.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/djmidas96/larper10.jpg

whaddya mean RPGs were, to an extent,  nerdy they've always been nerdy they've just gotten worse  :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/02/11 at 5:24 pm

I'd say it would be 1985 when Nintendo came out and The Bit Wars Began.

I think it went nerdy again, but this is why we have this guy...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/76/full/1269193087_1.jpg

The Angry Video Game Nerd!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/11 at 7:56 pm

I'd say the more brains it takes to play the game the nerdier it becomes.

As Foo Bar already alluded to, the coin-up games that entered the arcades and pizza joints in the late 1970s and 1980s, such as Space Invaders and Asteroids, were supplanting pinball machines.  They had computerized chess on the consumer market in the seventies, but you didn't see it at Louie's Pizza.  Chess doesn't last for two minutes (unless you walk into a seven-move trap employed by certain hustlers).  Chess is also a relatively simple setup, so it was a brainy game you could play with the rinky-dink memory space on seventies computers.

As home video games got more powerful with more memory and better graphics, you could have the complex RPG games rather than just blast the aliens or eat the pac-dots.

I knew people who played text-oriented computer RPGs (such as D&D) in the '80s, but these did not offer the thrills of graphics-oriented RPGs and were dull even for most nerds!
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/15/11 at 2:42 am

They had computerized chess on the consumer market in the seventies, but you didn't see it at Louie's Pizza.  Chess doesn't last for two minutes (unless you walk into a seven-move trap employed by certain hustlers).

There was one notable exception to this rule.

L-CTpCD-CNc

Ataxx, 1990, Leland

Ataxx was the only strategy game to ever become a successful coin-op game.  What made it work was that if you remembered your initials (which everyone could see), and your birthdate (which random strangers at the arcade didn't know), you had a persistent player ranking, stored on battery-backed RAM.  "Your" machine had "your" ranking - and while there was honor (an increase in rank) against performing well against either a better-ranked human or the strongest AI opponents, there was no honor (as in, your rank dropped) in beating morons.

Hell of a lot of fun, even at $0.25 per 100 seconds.

Check for new replies or respond here...