» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Personal nostalgist vs. historical nostalgist

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/13/11 at 12:57 pm

I've read from somewhere online that there are two types of nostalgists. Type A is the personal nostalgist, who mainly uses their own personal memories to reminice about the old days, and can be more personal and welcoming to others. Type B is the historical nostalgist, who strictly uses content focusing on eras before he or she was born or too young to remember. For instance, somebody born in the 1990s being a fan of the 1970s, which can often be a result of certain reruns and classics exposed (oldies stations, old movies/TV shows shown on TV, visits to museums). They also tend to appreciate the memories of their parents/grandparents and pass them on. For instance, the distinction between the two is quite evidant on a link I posted on the Pre-'70s board, a topic that compares the memories of the people who were children in the '60s compared to the facts that the history books teach you. For myself, I voted for option 3.

Subject: Re: Personal nostalgist vs. historical nostalgist

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/14/11 at 10:04 pm

Mostly personal - but sometimes I like to dig deeper and find out where the jokes came from.  I'm the guy who has every Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVD (and keeps an eye out for the GOALT laserdiscs at flea markets), and who watches every commentary.  

As I kid, I enjoyed watching Bugs and friends raise hell on Saturday morning TV.  As an adult, I enjoy the same cartoons anew - both when I recognize Bogart as more than "that guy who says 'Could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?'" - but even more so when I listen to the DVD commentary and realize that some cartoons featured dozens of such tributes.  

Grandma doesn't get ThunderLOLCats.  But she can explain 1944's What's Cookin' Doc?, which came out when my parents were in diapers.  She laughed her ass off a few years ago when I was the first of us to laugh at Bugs' reaction at the "Stag Reel" (t=4:40), because I hadn't seen the cartoon since ... well, since before I could appreciate that joke!

For the personal nostalgists out there who don't understand the historical nostalgists: it's not always about getting the joke yourself; it's about getting the fact that there is a joke, and that there was a time when everyone got it.

(And even though you don't own a computer and will never read this, thanks, Grandma.)

Written By: Davester on 12/17/11 at 5:37 am

Mostly personal - but sometimes I like to dig deeper and find out where the jokes came from.  I'm the guy who has every Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVD (and keeps an eye out for the GOALT laserdiscs at flea markets), and who watches every commentary.  

As I kid, I enjoyed watching Bugs and friends raise hell on Saturday morning TV.  As an adult, I enjoy the same cartoons anew - both when I recognize Bogart as more than "that guy who says 'Could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?'" - but even more so when I listen to the DVD commentary and realize that some cartoons featured dozens of such tributes.  

Grandma doesn't get ThunderLOLCats.  But she can explain 1944's What's Cookin' Doc?, which came out when my parents were in diapers.  She laughed her ass off a few years ago when I was the first of us to laugh at Bugs' reaction at the "Stag Reel" (t=4:40), because I hadn't seen the cartoon since ... well, since before I could appreciate that joke!

For the personal nostalgists out there who don't understand the historical nostalgists: it's not always about getting the joke yourself; it's about getting the fact that there is a joke, and that there was a time when everyone got it.

(And even though you don't own a computer and will never read this, thanks, Grandma.)

Only now, after tuning-in to Sirius 40s on 4 do I get some of the obscure cultural references which abound in those great old Looney Tunes shorts.  Most recently...

Yosemite Sam: "OPEN THIS DOOR!!!"

"Ya notice I didn't say Richard..?"

I'll tell you, it made my day hearing Count Basie's "Open the Door Richard" and connecting the dots... :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/17/11 at 10:41 pm

Yosemite Sam: "OPEN THIS DOOR!!!"

"Ya notice I didn't say Richard..?"

"Good News Everyone!  I just heard that in Yosemite Sam's voice!"

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/professor+farnsworth+thumbs+if+you+read+it+in+his+voice_5e75cc_1338597.jpg

...but for you youngun's who didn't, what Davester there did was a joke, son.  Sorta like how Foghorn Leghorn was a tribute to the ficticious Senator Beauregard Claghorn of the Fred Allen show.

Even my parents didn't get the joke.  They just laughed at the funny braggadocio chicken, as did I.  (Kids and grandkids back in those days.  Grandma musta thought they/we were 'bout as sharp as a sack of wet mice.  Cuz we were.)

The best gags - the memes that endure - are the ones where nobody has to get the joke to enjoy it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/11 at 11:33 pm

I'm both. 

I feel personally nostalgic for the seventies and eighties because I remember them.  I have the strongest historical nostalgia for the world my parents remember -- the forties, fifties, and sixties.  I absorbed many stories my grandparents told about the teens through the fifties.  I often try to picture what it was like living in their era. 

Although I love learning about history from ancient times through the Victorian era, I can't really call it "nostalgia."  Life before the modern era was so radically different from living memory -- no electricity, no rapid transportation, no telecommunications -- that it is much harder to identify with the consciousness of living in those times.  Can one really be nostalgic for the Roman empire?  Well, maybe Ron Paul can!
;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/11 at 1:23 am

Can one really be nostalgic for the Roman empire?

Tagus, Rome, same thing, really.  What's a couple billion years and a few dozen light-years between historians?

Must you always be so ethical? I suppose we could travel back in time. You could see what Tagus was like two billion years ago. They really knew how to party back in those days.

- Q, ST:TNG, QPid.

Check for new replies or respond here...