inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1959

Written By: Davy Boy Smith on 04/21/04 at 8:28 am

Now that was a good year, I was born.

;D

Subject: Re: 1959

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/21/04 at 8:33 am

Now that was a good year, I was born.

;D

What happened in your year Davy?

I was born in 1961, and the Berlin Wall was put up.

It got dismantled in the year my son was born !

Written By: Davy Boy Smith on 04/21/04 at 8:42 am

actually pretty uneventful,
http://www.fun4birthdays.com/year/1950s_1959.html

Written By: mandamoo on 04/21/04 at 8:57 am

I was born in '64 and that's the year the Beatles toured Australia ! :D

Too bad I couldn't go and see them  :(

Written By: Davy Boy Smith on 04/21/04 at 8:59 am

I remember seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show with all the screaming girls. :o

Written By: Paul on 04/22/04 at 7:02 am

Out of the above, I suppose the year I was born...1967

(Haven't got round to the dentures yet, but there's time...!)

Interestingly, that very month...

The 'Summer Of Love' was officially kicked off with the release of The Beatles' 'Sergeant Pepper'...

No 'Summer Of Love' to be had in the Middle East (surprise!) with the Six-Day War...

We lost both Spencer Tracy and Jayne Mansfield...

...and on the exact  day I came into effect, the very first 'cashpoint', or ATM machine was launched in Britain (apparently, the first in the world)...bet you can't guess which of us became more popular...!

I was born in 1961, and the Berlin Wall was put up.

It got dismantled in the year my son was born !

Wonderful piece of trivia...not only did the wall stand for 28 years, it was also just a shade over 28 miles long...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/22/04 at 1:01 pm

I chose 'year I was born' even though I don't think anything really eventful happened that year (other than my birth, of course!) ;D

Written By: Marian on 04/22/04 at 2:48 pm

:DThis thread doesn't seem to have a lot to do with 1959 the year.it IS the year Buddy Holly,Ritchie Valens,and the Big Bopper died,so it wasn't uneventful by everyone's standards.Cheers!.

Written By: jaytee on 04/23/04 at 9:17 am

I was born on 2nd November 1959

Written By: Zella on 04/24/04 at 12:49 am

I chose 'year my wisdom teeth were pulled' which was somewhere around 1979 - they gave me really good drugs, and besides, I was having waaaay too much fun in 1979... ;)

Written By: hoogbest on 05/29/04 at 12:10 pm

Born : 1943

Married : 1969

Daughter Born : 1975

Granddaughter Born : 2003

Nothing else compares!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/29/04 at 4:04 pm

Year I was born...don't know what was really great about that year...other than me being born :D

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:00 am

Born: 1974

I was born during the disco/funk era. ;D

Howard

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 10:38 pm

I heard that 'proper' and 'sunny' music was pretty popular until 1964.

Written By: mercuryse7entenorsea on 12/11/20 at 11:22 pm

The year I was born (2005)

Written By: violet_shy on 07/12/21 at 6:53 pm

I found a Barbie commercial from 1959. When I first watched it I felt alienated, lol.

"You can tell it's Mattel. It's swell."

9hhjjhYGQtY                 

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/12/21 at 7:30 pm

I found a Barbie commercial from 1959. When I first watched it I felt alienated, lol.

What was alienating about it? The 1950s conception of a woman's role? Barbie always set unrealistic expectations.

Barbie – Unrealistic Expectations Or Modern Role Model?

www.femalefirst.co.uk/lifestyle/is-barbie-a-role-model-1110710.html

Excerpt:

If Barbie were a real human, her long thin neck would render her incapable of lifting her head; her 16 inch waist would only allow room for half a liver and a few inches of intestine; and her child’s size 3 foot and 6 inch ankles would mean she could only crawl, not walk.

All of this has understandably drawn criticism from parents, concerned that Barbie created unrealistic body image expectations for children and encourages eating disorders.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/12/21 at 7:51 pm

What was alienating about it? The 1950s conception of a woman's role? Barbie always set unrealistic expectations.

Excerpt:

If Barbie were a real human, her long thin neck would render her incapable of lifting her head; her 16 inch waist would only allow room for half a liver and a few inches of intestine; and her child’s size 3 foot and 6 inch ankles would mean she could only crawl, not walk.

All of this has understandably drawn criticism from parents, concerned that Barbie created unrealistic body image expectations for children and encourages eating disorders.

Not today. These days there are Barbie dolls that look more like the everyday woman and not so unrealistic.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/12/21 at 8:11 pm

Not today. These days there are Barbie dolls that look more like the everyday woman and not so unrealistic.  :)

Well that's good. But you still didn't say why the commercial left you feeling alienated. Must be leftover residue from the unrealistic, damaging Barbie days.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/21 at 4:27 am

Excerpt:

There have been women around the world who wanted so desperately to look and resemble Barbie and they wind up looking like fake and unrealistic.