inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Everly Brothers songs

Written By: Marian on 04/22/04 at 1:40 pm

:DDoes anyone have any favorite Everly brothers songs?Some of mine are "Who's Gonna shoe your pretty little Feet?","Down in the willow garden","Carol Jane","Memories Are Made of this","That's what you Do To me',"Should We Tell Him?"Anyone else?Cheers!

Subject: Re: Favorite Everly Brothers songs

Written By: Paul on 04/22/04 at 1:44 pm

I'm mostly mainstream when it comes to the Evs...

Two stand out...'Walk Right Back' for the impeccable harmonies (just one example of many...)

...and 'The Price Of Love' showing they should have really ridden the 'folk-rock' thing much longer, superb tune anyway...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/04 at 1:45 pm

I was waiting for this one, Marian. It took you only two days before you mentioned the Everly Brothers.  ;D ;D

To answer your question, "All I Have to do is Dream"

Cat

Written By: woops on 04/22/04 at 4:39 pm

"All I Have To Do Is Dream" &  "Wake Up Susie" (correct title?)

Written By: Bobo on 04/22/04 at 4:43 pm

Here are a few of my favourite obscurities:

La Luna E'un Pallido Sole
Angels From The Realms Of Glory (Christmas Album)
Always Drive A Cadillac
I Don't Want To Love You
Don't Worry Baby
Lay It Down
Sweet Memories
Buona Fortuna Amore Mio (sung to the tune of So Sad To Watch Good Love Go Bad)
Warum?
Breakdown A Long Way From Home
Three Armed Poker Playing River Rat

And all the popular stuff, too! I grew up with it all.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/22/04 at 8:58 pm

I like "Walk Right Back" the best

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 04/22/04 at 10:18 pm

I'm not big on these guys, but I do like "Wake Up Little Susie".  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 04/23/04 at 6:00 am

'Crying In The Rain'

Written By: Bobo on 04/23/04 at 6:34 am

Knowing your great musical knowledge along with your unquestionable taste, Paul, I know you were probably onto this one several years before I ever knew it existed, and thus probably hold it in high esteem already, but if you get a chance, check out the version of this song by country-rock band Poco, available on at least two greatest hits albums.

The rest of the album I have it on is great too.

...and 'The Price Of Love' showing they should have really ridden the 'folk-rock' thing much longer, superb tune anyway...

Written By: Paul on 04/23/04 at 7:37 am

Knowing your great musical knowledge along with your unquestionable taste, Paul,

Eh?!! Unquestionable taste? How much am I paying you?!!

I know you were probably onto this one several years before I ever knew it existed, and thus probably hold it in high esteem already, but if you get a chance, check out the version of this song by country-rock band Poco, available on at least two greatest hits albums.

The rest of the album I have it on is great too.

Poco I've heard of (and I'm sure there's one or two of their things kicking around in 'the back room' somewheres), but I wasn't aware they did a version of this...the only 'cover' I'm familiar with is Bryan Ferry's which wasn't too bad, but not as good as the Evs...

Thanking you for that, young Bobo...I'll go and investigate...

Written By: Marian on 04/23/04 at 3:43 pm

I like "Walk Right Back" the best
;DI like that one,too.The flipside,or maybe really the a-side,is Ebony eyes.i have the 45 picture sleeve.Cheers!

Written By: Bobo on 04/23/04 at 3:46 pm

I saw the 45 of Walk Right Back b/w Ebony Eyes in a shop the other day... kicking myself in terms of never having bought it. I know there's a pile of other really weird singles I have to get my hands on before this, though, whenever possible.

;DI like that one,too.The flipside,or maybe really the a-side,is Ebony eyes.i have the 45 picture sleeve.Cheers!

Written By: moonriver on 04/25/04 at 2:59 am

my faves :

"Let It Be Me"
"Love Hurts"
"Cathy's Clown"
"Walk Right Back"

Written By: Marian on 04/25/04 at 3:46 pm

I saw the 45 of Walk Right Back b/w Ebony Eyes in a shop the other day... kicking myself in terms of never having bought it. I know there's a pile of other really weird singles I have to get my hands on before this, though, whenever possible.

;DThat one's supposed to be relatively easy to find,at least on the internet.Good luck.Cheers!

Written By: Bobo on 04/26/04 at 4:21 pm

Well, I found it in a 7" records store, so I know it's readily available there! And I don't see anyone buying it anytime soon. Specially since it has my incriminating fingerprints on it!

Written By: Marian on 04/26/04 at 7:33 pm

Well, I found it in a 7" records store, so I know it's readily available there! And I don't see anyone buying it anytime soon. Specially since it has my incriminating fingerprints on it!
:o :oIncriminating fingerprints,eh?Or maybe the other persons who saw it work for an airline :-\Cheers!

Written By: jaytee on 04/27/04 at 5:46 pm

All I Have To Do Is Dream

Written By: Bobo on 04/28/04 at 1:11 am

Although this may well not be true, I heard a statement like this from a friend of mine who is a big Everly Brothers and Beach Boys fan, but I don't know how much credence I can give it... apparently All I Have To Do Is Dream was recorded live in only two takes. As I say, I don't know whether that's true or not.

I know there's a version of it on the "Alternate Versions" album which must have taken longer to record, but if it's true, it's quite incredible, given the number of people who rate it so highly as the "perfect take".

Marian? Paul? Anyone got any backup for this statement?

Written By: Paul on 04/28/04 at 1:05 pm

Here's a clue (though not a definite answer) to how many 'takes' may have been attempted, Bobo...

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag92/EverlyBrosB.shtml

...about a third of the way down the page ('Despite the constraints of the studio...') - so I would say yes, your friend is quite correct...

A nice little aside on 'Dream'...(notes from Ace's Radio Gold Vol 4 CD)

'When the Everly's third single, a Ray Charles song titled "This Little Girl Of Mine', pegged out at #26 (US), they went back to the Bryants, picking out their next release, 'All I Have To Do Is Dream', from a stack of demos. Phil remembered, 'The first time I heard it sung by Boudleaux on an acetate, I just knew. It could've been put out on that acetate and it would have been a hit.'

Archie Bleyer (Cadence owner) thought so too. 'Boudleaux had been dying to buy a Thunderbird,' he was quoted as saying, 'and after we finished recording 'Dream', I said, 'I'm sure you can go out and buy it now.'

Still not located Poco's 'Price Of Love' yet, but I now recall another cover which I have heard - a very pedestrian run-through by an early incarnation of Status Quo, of all people...!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/28/04 at 1:07 pm

"All I Have To Do Is Dream"

Written By: Marian on 04/28/04 at 2:21 pm

I canbelieve it.Some songs ,like "Nancy's Minuet'did take more takes because they couldn't decide how it should sound.I think the alternate of that is pretty cool.Cheers!

Written By: Bobo on 04/28/04 at 2:26 pm

That's true. I remember hearing early takes of the other tracks, when orchestras are all starting up and such..

Paul, I've always wanted to locate the Quo version of The Price Of Love, but unfortunately have never listened to it.

I also remember buying Mandy Barnett's debut CD a while ago on the strength of her version of the Ev's "Don't Forget To Cry". I don't even have any idea where it is any more! I should dig it out again.

Written By: Marian on 04/28/04 at 8:12 pm

:DThat would be interesting.Cheers!

Written By: hoogbest on 06/01/04 at 3:26 pm

"Walk Right Back" and "Claudette".

Written By: AL-B on 06/01/04 at 7:13 pm

'Walk Right Back' for the impeccable harmonies (just one example of many...)
I agree (well said). :)

Written By: Hairspray on 06/01/04 at 7:32 pm

All I Have To Do Is Dream

Written By: Marian on 06/01/04 at 7:32 pm

"Walk Right Back" and "Claudette".
:D :D :Dand that's the one that has "Ebony Eyes" on the other side;I've got the picture sleeve to prove it!Cheers!

Written By: bj26 on 06/02/04 at 7:23 am

Cathy's Clown - the best!

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/02/04 at 7:56 am

All I have to do is dream

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/09/04 at 3:01 pm

"Wake up Little Susie" and "Bye Bye Love"

Written By: Marian on 07/09/04 at 7:32 pm

8) 8)I have "Wake Upuzie" on a 45 and also on an original LP--"They're Off and Running". :DCheers!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 11:42 pm

I didn't really listen to them much. But, I do love "All I Have to Do is Dream". Very mellow, takes you to a very special place in your mind after a hard, stressful day, and a great song.

Tanya

Written By: MaryMary on 08/20/05 at 4:58 pm

"Bye, Bye Love"

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/05/05 at 1:38 pm

I liked 'Bye Bye Love' too!  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/05 at 9:16 pm

I kinda liked On the Wings of A Nightingale, their 1984 almost top 40 comeback hit, but as for their older hits, I'd say it's a tie between Wake Up Little Susie and All I Have to Do is Dream :)

Check for new replies or respond here...