inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best fashion decade

Written By: SteveH on 04/25/04 at 12:12 am

I'm only going by what I see in the movies, but I think, hands down, the forties were gifted with the best fashion sense. 
Snap brim fedoras had it all over baseball caps. 

Subject: Re: Best fashion decade

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/04 at 2:27 pm

Glad to see you joining the "new and improved" boards, Steve.

I think I will have to agree with you. I was going to say the 50s but I think the 40s were a bit better. The 70s were definitely the worst.

Cat

Written By: Huw on 04/25/04 at 3:27 pm

I'v always preferred the '30s. For men the suits were great: double-breasted, wide straight leg (20 inches around per leg), slit (flatpless pockets), no vents on the jacket, 4 buttons on the sleeves. I know all these details as I once went to an old, old tailor in London who made me a suit to those exact specifications. Bliss!

Huw

Written By: Marian on 04/25/04 at 3:49 pm

I think I will have to agree with you. I was going to say the 50s but I think the 40s were a bit better. The 70s were definitely the worst.

Cat
;DI think the 40s and 50s ha ve some good points for me,like full skirts and crossover tops,and cool hats.I agree the 70s were the worst.I was a kid in the 70s;I didn't have a real wool sweater until I was an adult!(common in earlier decades!)The 70s were an era of deprivation for the average kid.Too much polyester and acrylic!Cheers!

Written By: Todd on 04/25/04 at 6:09 pm

Well even though I wasnt around then, I think the 50s had the best fashions...mostly the gals clothing.  Big skirts, poodle skirts, petticoats and saddle shoes.  And closely followed by my next favorite fashion decade, the 80s.  The 80s actually had some 50s influence in some gals fashions with the occasional big pouffy petticoats and party dresses (remember the awesome 80s prom dresses??)  And I have to agree with the majoity in this post...the 70s fashions were AWFUL!  Too much polyester and velour....leisure suits and avocado and orange and brown colors...uggghhh!

Written By: Magic Pudding on 04/25/04 at 9:28 pm

1970's  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 04/25/04 at 10:38 pm

Overall, the 1920's.  Personally, I'm stuck in the 70's.

Written By: SteveH on 04/27/04 at 3:41 am

Cat

Thanks, Cat  :)

One of the weirdest 70s article of clothing I owned was earth shoes.  They looked like clogs, sort of, with hush puppies covers.  They had really thick soles and were designed so that the heels were lower than the toes -- it was almost impossible to walk up a steep incline while wearing them. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/27/04 at 12:11 pm

Cat

Thanks, Cat  :)

One of the weirdest 70s article of clothing I owned was earth shoes.  They looked like clogs, sort of, with hush puppies covers.  They had really thick soles and were designed so that the heels were lower than the toes -- it was almost impossible to walk up a steep incline while wearing them. 

Ah yes, the dreaded Earth Shoes. Had a pair myself.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/27/04 at 7:29 pm

1970's  :)

I would agree. ;D

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 04/27/04 at 8:58 pm

Even though I wasn't around back then, I think American style peaked around 1965-66.

Written By: Erin on 04/29/04 at 12:54 pm

I think that the 60's had the best music clothes.  Everything was so unique and different.  I am 15 years old and I wish that I could have been a teen then.  I love the clothes and I borrow my moms CD's all the time.  However, hte 40's rocked too!  I love Louis Armstrong.

Written By: Marian on 04/29/04 at 2:24 pm

Well even though I wasnt around then, I think the 50s had the best fashions...mostly the gals clothing.  Big skirts, poodle skirts, petticoats and saddle shoes.  And closely followed by my next favorite fashion decade, the 80s.  The 80s actually had some 50s influence in some gals fashions with the occasional big pouffy petticoats and party dresses (remember the awesome 80s prom dresses??)  And I have to agree with the majoity in this post...the 70s fashions were AWFUL!  Too much polyester and velour....leisure suits and avocado and orange and brown colors...uggghhh!
Actually they used avacado and orange in the 50s,but in tasteful patterns.Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 04/29/04 at 7:58 pm

The 80's were pretty decent! ;D

Howard

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/12/04 at 6:00 pm

The 80's.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/04 at 11:20 am

I miss a little bit of the 1990's.

Howard

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/13/04 at 3:10 pm

I like the clothes from the 50's. 60' and the 80's. But mostly from the 80's.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/13/04 at 3:16 pm

I'm torn between the 1970's and the 1980's. :-\\

The 1970's had glitz.

Women wore dresses all the time! Many of which were sexy, off the shoulders and/or low necklines; not to mention the wearing of either sensual platforms or high heels. Awww...., man! Women often wore their hair long, with flowing tresses sometimes feathered and sometimes curled.

Guys’ wearing well-fitting pants/jeans was one of the main ways for girls to be able to appreciate a guy's assets all around! It was plain more attractive. Men looked like they took care of themselves and the way they looked, even when committing the avocado and peanut butter leisure suits faux-pas. I liked leisure suits in general though. It offered a way for men to be comfortable and dressed for business at the same time. As far as hair goes, the longish, feathered cut of hair was cleaner looking than it's 60's predecessor.

The 1980's had edge.

Women became bold and limitless in fashion, experimenting with unisex wear and combining a myriad of colors and fabrics; still very attractive (mini skirts and high heels), but at the expense of the simpler fabrics which constituted the easy flowing sexy dresses of the 1970's. Feathered hair was still popular for the most part, except the lengths were shorter. For the longer hair looks, the high bangs were almost a necessity.

Guys still wore well-fitting attire but with better fabrics and color schemes. Guys were also open to color and fabric experimentation without reservation, opening a whole new world of fashion for the genre; from the "punk" styles to the "new romantic" look. Guys hair had so many more options of style from the feathered to the permed (not the best look, IMO); to the retro 60's all long styles and the unforgettable mullets.

Both decades, undeniably, had excellent qualities in fashion. I think I'll just say both of these decades equally.

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/04 at 4:21 pm

I love every fashion from the 80s - there were so many different styles and so colourful.

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 06/14/04 at 1:31 am

I say all the decades 1920s thru the 1980s had wonderful, unique styles. I was a teenager in the 90s, and I must say, that was probably the WORST decade for fashion! I like the fashion styles in this decade so far, alot of 80s and classic 50s and 60s influences are back, as well as all the colors in the rainbow; in the 90s, it was all black, brown, and drab!

Written By: Lanie on 06/14/04 at 7:51 am

Gotta go with the 80's.  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/14/04 at 7:29 pm

Gotta go with the 80's.  :)

I kinda miss the 80's. :(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/04 at 1:30 am

The sixties, especially the Mod period of jolly old England! Love it!

Tanya

Written By: I_love_Miami_Vice on 07/26/04 at 6:41 pm

Late 30's and all of the 40's....those ladies dresses, with the shoulder pads, their exemplary cuts and lines, the shoes, everything was absolutely elegant and gorgeous, and I would have to add that the 50's also had its' enchantment, those frilly, waisted, petticoated dresses with the high heel pointy pumps, were very feminine also!

Written By: Alicia on 07/26/04 at 9:31 pm

1940's and 50's

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/04 at 11:28 pm

I do agree with the 40s and 50s. Men and women took time and energy to look good. Clothes and hair was neat. Getting dressed was as much of an event as going out.

Tanya

Written By: Albert on 08/27/04 at 5:27 pm

Well, unbeknownst to many, the styles of the '50s really carried into the '60s. Other fashions came in (like big hair such as beehives that came starting in the early-'60s, and mod fashions that came in during the mid-'60s), but the others stuck around. The late-'60s (and into the early-'70s) was a very mixed time in fashion as it included hippie-influenced fashions. Fashions commonly associated with the 70's really began in the late-'60s, such as colorful and bright-colored clothes, bellbottom pants, polyester, long ironed hair, afros, guys with permed hair. But there were still things including a lot of plaid, like plaid collared shirts (on guys), very gelled hair combed to the side (on guys), greasers (including with black leather jackets), knee-length skirts or lower (including flaired ones) (in addition to higher skirts, such as miniskirts), female hair done up and very styled (large and not). So it was a very varied, mixed time in fashion. Anyway, my favorite time frame of fashion is the 40's to the early-'80s with the exception of punk fashion that came in during the late-'70s and what was called the "thrift store" look that came in during '82-'83.

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 08/28/04 at 4:34 pm

Definitely the 1940s - and worst being the 1970s. IMO. 8)

Written By: Koop on 08/28/04 at 6:18 pm

Either the 30s or 40s....especially the glamour from those decades.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 08/30/04 at 7:29 am

50's,60's and the 80's

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 08/30/04 at 4:28 pm

The 70s
The loud flashy clothing.
women with the long straight hair.
Guys with the longish shaggy hair and sideburns.
Heck, I think I like just about everything better from the 70s...cars,homes,jewlrey....remember those LED watches,you know the kind when you pushed the button it would light up red...

But the 50s and 60s were cool to...

Written By: jaytee on 09/07/04 at 8:17 am

The swinging 60s! 8)

Written By: T on 09/07/04 at 4:00 pm

The best fashion decade to me besides the 80s would not be a decade but a year. That year is the wonderful 1939.

Check for new replies or respond here...