inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 6:30 pm

I Chose "Let's Hang On"  :)

Subject: Re: Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/08/04 at 6:42 pm

I think I like "Walk Like A Man" best.  :D

Written By: Paul on 05/08/04 at 6:44 pm

Oh Blimey! All of 'em...!! Rarely made a duff single this lot (some of the LPs were a tad ropey, but I digress...)

Other: 'Tell It To The Rain'...great song...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/08/04 at 6:53 pm

Walk Like A Man

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/04 at 7:27 pm

Other: Silence is Golden and Stay

Cat

Written By: Lanie on 05/08/04 at 8:03 pm

"Working My Way Back To You"

Written By: mandamoo on 05/08/04 at 9:16 pm

Other: 'Who Loves You'.....I must dowload this, thanks for reminding me !

Written By: AL-B on 05/09/04 at 3:23 am

Working My Way Back To You, solo Frankie Valli: Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/09/04 at 6:32 pm

Other; C'mon Marianne

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/04 at 7:23 pm

I've messed the poll up. I voted for 'Oh what a night (December 63) but that's after the 60s - Duh!  :-[

Er . . . Working my back to you girl'.

Written By: woops on 05/09/04 at 10:48 pm

"Sherry"  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/09/04 at 11:18 pm

I think I like "Walk Like A Man" best.  :D
Hey Karen, remember the movie of the same name starring Howie Mandell :D

Written By: moonriver on 05/10/04 at 4:09 am

"My Eyes Adore You"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/26/04 at 1:55 am

Oh What a Night (December 1963)

Tanya

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/26/04 at 2:22 am

Tanya

one hundred percent!!!  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/30/04 at 12:13 pm

Great song, huh, Queen?

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/04 at 7:11 pm

Tanya

It's certainly my favourite song of theirs but I think it was made in the mid-70s.  :)

Written By: SuperFreak on 07/30/04 at 7:19 pm

Let's Hang On and Sherry

Written By: zcrito on 07/30/04 at 9:12 pm

It's certainly my favourite song of theirs but I think it was made in the mid-70s.  :)

Yes, let's keep it in the '60s or before.
;)

Written By: zcrito on 07/30/04 at 9:14 pm

I went with their 1964 song "Rag Doll", which I always thought was their best song in the '60s.

:)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 12:48 am

Working my way back to you

Tanya

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/22/04 at 12:28 pm

"Sherry"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/frankievalliandthefourseasons3.shtml

"Oh What A Night"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/thefourseasons2.shtml

"My Eyes Adored You"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/frankievalli8.shtml

Written By: hot_wax on 09/16/04 at 12:41 am

Great topic! if you have the time I want to share a strange story about me and "The Four Seasons". They are my all time favorite group for a lot of personal reasons.These four guys from Newark, NJ had a unique style... like a mix of Do-Wop, Rock and Accapello rolled into one unique sound like no other group of it's time had... they stood alone and held their own against the giant groups in the business. 

Frankie Vallie with his eight octave voice gave the group it's uniqueness, group members Bob Gaudio and Bob Crew writing and arranging most of their songs and music, gave the Four Seasons that unique mixed sound that became Internationally recognized making their songs hits then and classics today.

Hey! they knocked the Beatles out of  number one spot with Rag Doll and held it for a few weeks, a great feat for them! this is when the Beatles owned 1st. 2d. and 3d. spots on all the music charts from coast to coast and they always had about 5 songs of the top 10 spots for almost 3 years, but the Four Seasons were always there with them.

My story and The Four Seasons is a strange one but maybe you can relate to it. Did your favorite group or singer seemed to write lyrics that parrelled your life at that time?  like every word they sang came from your love/hate situations...break-ups and make-ups that ruled your life at that time? as if they were cause of the changes in your life's destiny? like they took up residency in your head saw your life through your eyes, felt your deepest emotions and captured it all in a couple of words and when you listened to the song you said "Hey! that's my life they're singing about!

This is what this group's songs did to me...The Touch of You, Beggin', Save it For Me, Danger, No one Cares, Melancholy, Walk like a Man, Good bye Girl, Big Girls don't Cry... do you see a pattern here? this group was my mentors and tormentors, all of their songs were about my 4 years with this steady girl I used to go out with,  even the their version of "Will You Still Love Me tomorrow" has the name (Dody) in parentices at the end of the title on their album volume 7... my was my girls nick-name...why is her name there? how did they know?... STRANGE!!!! and to top all odds, would you believe they took the name "The Four Seasons" from a bowling ally" in my home town", where they used to sing at in the bar lounge before they became famous and was managed by actor Joe Pesci before he was famous. I used to hang out there on week-ends our first date and first kiss involved that The Four Seasons Bowling Ally...I believe there's some unseen force's that connected me to this group and used it's music to give me direction...God only knew no one else could get through to me!

I have to say "The Four Seasons where the biggest influence in the direction of my life's journey...which I'm am greatfull for today because it seemed when The Four Seasons broke up we broke up for good too and I met the true love of my life and soul mate for life and after 35 years of marriage she still makes my blood boil!

If you took the time to read this you must have had something like this happen to you too, tell me about it I like to know that I'm not the only one with a strange love or life story...c'mon lay it on us, open up and let it all hang out, maybe it will do you some good!   

Hot Wax  

Written By: Howard on 09/16/04 at 9:39 am

I do happen to like Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons from the late 1960's & as well when they went disco during the mid 70's with "Who Loves You"& (December 1963)Oh,What A Night then Frankie went on his own with Swearin To God & Grease. :)

Howard

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/17/04 at 10:35 am

I picked Rag Doll, but could have easily picked any of the other songs..Frankie is the MAN!..been a fan of the Four Seasons since the early 60's (yes, I am that old). :)

Written By: Howard on 09/17/04 at 8:34 pm

I also like the 60's version of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. :)

Howard

Written By: hot_wax on 11/01/05 at 11:32 pm

Great topic! if you have the time I want to share a strange story about me and "The Four Seasons". They are my all time favorite group for a lot of personal reasons.These four guys from Newark, NJ had a unique style... like a mix of Do-Wop, Rock and Accapello rolled into one unique sound like no other group of it's time had... they stood alone and held their own against the giant groups in the business. 

Frankie Vallie with his eight octave voice gave the group it's uniqueness, group members Bob Gaudio and Bob Crew writing and arranging most of their songs and music, gave the Four Seasons that unique mixed sound that became Internationally recognized making their songs hits then and classics today.

Hey! they knocked the Beatles out of  number one spot with Rag Doll and held it for a few weeks, a great feat for them! this is when the Beatles owned 1st. 2d. and 3d. spots on all the music charts from coast to coast and they always had about 5 songs of the top 10 spots for almost 3 years, but the Four Seasons were always there with them.

My story and The Four Seasons is a strange one but maybe you can relate to it. Did your favorite group or singer seemed to write lyrics that parrelled your life at that time?  like every word they sang came from your love/hate situations...break-ups and make-ups that ruled your life at that time? as if they were cause of the changes in your life's destiny? like they took up residency in your head saw your life through your eyes, felt your deepest emotions and captured it all in a couple of words and when you listened to the song you said "Hey! that's my life they're singing about!

This is what this group's songs did to me...The Touch of You, Beggin', Save it For Me, Danger, No one Cares, Melancholy, Walk like a Man, Good bye Girl, Big Girls don't Cry... do you see a pattern here? this group was my mentors and tormentors, all of their songs were about my 4 years with this steady girl I used to go out with,  even the their version of "Will You Still Love Me tomorrow" has the name (Dody) in parentices at the end of the title on their album volume 7... my was my girls nick-name...why is her name there? how did they know?... STRANGE!!!! and to top all odds, would you believe they took the name "The Four Seasons" from a bowling ally" in my home town", where they used to sing at in the bar lounge before they became famous and was managed by actor Joe Pesci before he was famous. I used to hang out there on week-ends our first date and first kiss involved that The Four Seasons Bowling Ally...I believe there's some unseen force's that connected me to this group and used it's music to give me direction...God only knew no one else could get through to me!

I have to say "The Four Seasons where the biggest influence in the direction of my life's journey...which I'm am greatfull for today because it seemed when The Four Seasons broke up we broke up for good too and I met the true love of my life and soul mate for life and after 35 years of marriage she still makes my blood boil!

If you took the time to read this you must have had something like this happen to you too, tell me about it I like to know that I'm not the only one with a strange love or life story...c'mon lay it on us, open up and let it all hang out, maybe it will do you some good!   

Hot Wax  

I was browsing and saw this previous posting and I have another strange associated connection to add to this posting and my life's interweavings with Four Seasons. I resently found out this past August 05' that my son-in-law used to hang out and still are good friends Nick Massy Jr. the son of the late Nick Massy one of the original Four Seasons. To me that's strange and maybe it's just in my head, but now the 2d generation of the Four Seasons has a connection to my life through my son-in-law...there's always something there to remind me.  HW

Written By: Time Lord on 11/03/05 at 12:52 pm

ronnie, stay and save it for me.

Written By: jaytee on 11/03/05 at 11:50 pm

Big Girls Don't Cry (although I'm here to tell you that they DO!)

Written By: holicman on 11/04/05 at 8:37 am

Frankie Valli: Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You. - wonderful ballad.

Who Loves you is another underrated song.

From the list i would pick Opus 17, though i like the "lesser high pitched vocal songs"

I liked The Grease song that Franki Valli did too.......even though it was a 70's hit.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/04/05 at 11:27 pm

i wonder whatever happened to them, especially valli.

Timelord, I don't know what the other living Four Seasons are doing today,although Valli still does concerts and does some acting, he had a part on HBO's Sapranos. He was interviewed last week about the new Broadway show called "Jersey Boys". It's about them growing up in Newark NJ and how they got together to form the The Four Seasons. I made a posting on it...look on page 3 of the postings in "before the 70's" where we are now and check it out and check out the "Jersey Boys" web site.

Jersey Boys just opeded last week, I haven't purchased tickets yet, I'll be going to see the show.

Check out the site and it might answer more on your question.

Hot Wax 

Written By: nally on 11/08/05 at 2:23 pm

Walk Like A Man
and other: Candy Girl

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/05 at 3:13 pm

All you Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons fans should check out the 1981 hit "Seasons of Gold" by Gidea Park featuring Adrian Baker.  It's a simply fantastic medley of Four Seasons songs  8)

Written By: hot_wax on 11/08/05 at 9:48 pm

All you Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons fans should check out the 1981 hit "Seasons of Gold" by Gidea Park featuring Adrian Baker.  It's a simply fantastic medley of Four Seasons songs  8)

Thanks, I'll check it out. HW

Written By: Southern Image on 11/15/05 at 1:30 pm

Big Girls Don't Cry

Written By: hot_wax on 11/15/05 at 8:54 pm

Big Girls Don't Cry

S C Mom, Why that one? They just know...don't they?

Hot Wax

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/05 at 1:24 pm

man, all of their songs are so good...it's hard to choose a favorite....I guess, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" would be one of my favorites.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/17/05 at 5:21 am

oh yes, Frankie was the man!

Hot Wax, I believe "Rag Doll" was #1 for 6 weeks...a vague association, in a sister's room, perhaps writing a letter to sister at college to tell her about that song being #1 for so long....

Actually, "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)" was recorded by THE WONDER WHO....the 45 record cover had a connect the dots game on it....when connected it said WE ARE YOUR FAVORITES....and I correctly guessed THE FOUR SEASONS, my best friend at the time, said I was wrong....

how I ended up married to a man that absolutely hated the Four Seasons (a fav of mine! at the time) is another story...he went to jail shortly after we were married, his cell mate (from Newark NJ) loved & played them all the time...so that a few days before my daughter was born, her father insisted we change her name to DAWN, we had so established what her name was to be, that I got flowers addressed to "me & Kelly". Later, my ex, said he wanted the name because he knew she would be born at dawn.

Haven't listened to them in years. As I read these posts, can hear the songs playing on the radio in my head.

Written By: hot_wax on 11/22/05 at 10:12 pm

oh yes, Frankie was the man!

Hot Wax, I believe "Rag Doll" was #1 for 6 weeks...a vague association, in a sister's room, perhaps writing a letter to sister at college to tell her about that song being #1 for so long....

Actually, "Don't Think Twice (It's Alright)" was recorded by THE WONDER WHO....the 45 record cover had a connect the dots game on it....when connected it said WE ARE YOUR FAVORITES....and I correctly guessed THE FOUR SEASONS, my best friend at the time, said I was wrong....

how I ended up married to a man that absolutely hated the Four Seasons (a fav of mine! at the time) is another story...he went to jail shortly after we were married, his cell mate (from Newark NJ) loved & played them all the time...so that a few days before my daughter was born, her father insisted we change her name to DAWN, we had so established what her name was to be, that I got flowers addressed to "me & Kelly". Later, my ex, said he wanted the name because he knew she would be born at dawn.

Haven't listened to them in years. As I read these posts, can hear the songs playing on the radio in my head.

Hi Alyceclover, Yes, when "Rag Doll" hit the airways it went to number one the following day and staying there for about 6 week on all of the radio station hit lists. It knocked the Beatles down a couple of numbers, which was not easy to do back then when they had they always had four or five hits in the top ten and owned the number one two and three spots for a about three years. The Four Seasons songs always gave the English Invaition groups something to respect because their songs always jumped to number one within days of their release.

I'm sure she knows by now, your girlfreind was wrong. I don't why they did that stunt recording under The Wonder Who, it was recorded before the Beatles stunt with their secret messages in their Sgt. Pepper album, hey! maybe they gave the Beatles the idea! I'm listening to the song now as I'm writing this and just now found out it was writen by Bob Dylan also, so now I'm listening to it as a Dylan song because personally I still don't like the song the way they sang it...I guess fitting for" Wonder Who" only.

You had a interesting story about "Dawn", your Ex became a closet Season fan and to cool to admit it...right? and is your daughter's name Kelly or Dawn? I couldn't sort it all out from the facts.

We'll be going to see the "Jersey Boys" in January that's the earliest time when tickets were available...a Christmas gift to me and my wife from my kids, can't wait!

Good to talk to you...Hot Wax

ps...Dawn or Kelly?       

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/05 at 11:46 pm

Big Girls Don't Cry (although I'm here to tell you that they DO!)

There is something about their songs that you can relate to...right?

HW

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/05 at 11:09 pm

I am changing my vote to 'Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me)'.  I keep listening to the Four Seasons medley, and this one really grabs me.  I love it  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/05 at 12:15 pm

I like them all and cannot decide on a particular favourite.

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/05 at 12:04 am

Timelord, I don't know what the other living Four Seasons are doing today,although Valli still does concerts and does some acting, he had a part on HBO's Sapranos. He was interviewed last week about the new Broadway show called "Jersey Boys". It's about them growing up in Newark NJ and how they got together to form the The Four Seasons. I made a posting on it...look on page 3 of the postings in "before the 70's" where we are now and check it out and check out the "Jersey Boys" web site.

Jersey Boys just opeded last week, I haven't purchased tickets yet, I'll be going to see the show.

Check out the site and it might answer more on your question.

Hot Wax

Written By: TheRemf on 12/27/05 at 1:18 am

I voted for one that got creamed - "Dawn"

I would have voted for "Oh What A Night" but it's well into the wrong decade.

Written By: schmartypantz on 12/27/05 at 10:06 pm

glad ya got the tickets..I'll be waiting for your review. :)

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/05 at 11:06 pm

I voted for one that got creamed - "Dawn"

I would have voted for "Oh What A Night" but it's well into the wrong decade.

"Dawn" was one of the best songs if not thee best song that they recorded. It was the

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/05 at 11:10 pm

Thanks schmartypantz, yes I can't wait, I'll bore you with all the details! HW

Written By: hot_wax on 01/27/06 at 9:24 pm

Hey Schmartypantz! "Jersey Boys" was the most exciting show I've ever seen. There's a lot to tell you about only can't tonight I need more time, I'll get back to you Sunday.

HW

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/28/06 at 11:20 am

cool. hope they take the show on the road. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/06 at 11:25 am

The only song I have like by the Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons is December 1963 (Oh What A Night).

Written By: ADH13 on 01/28/06 at 12:06 pm

I like them all and cannot decide on a particular favourite.

The only song I have like by the Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons is December 1963 (Oh What A Night).

;D  You ok, Philip?

Written By: hot_wax on 01/29/06 at 11:52 pm

cool. hope they take the show on the road. :)

Schmarty', Sorry! I can't write tonight either I got in to late, tomorrow good buddy! HW 

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/30/06 at 10:43 pm

oh sure..  ;D

Written By: lizjagger on 04/05/06 at 11:06 pm

My favourite song of theirs is 'Let's hang on'

Written By: hot_wax on 11/22/06 at 10:12 pm

I was browsing and saw this previous posting and I have another strange associated connection to add to this posting and my life's interweavings with Four Seasons. I resently found out this past August 05' that my son-in-law used to hang out and still are good friends Nick Massy Jr. the son of the late Nick Massy one of the original Four Seasons. To me that's strange and maybe it's just in my head, but now the 2d generation of the Four Seasons has a connection to my life through my son-in-law...there's always something there to remind me.  HW

Today 11/22/06, I found out something interesting to add to this past post. I found out tonight at my son-in-law's birthday party that he was with Nick Massi Jr. yesterday and Nick and his wife have a little girl and they named her "Sherry Baby" and when my son-in-law said that "Sherry is a beautiful name and perfect for the rememberance of her Grand Father", the late Nick Massi Sn. who sang her name, Sherry, maybe a million times, the name that started it all for "The Four Seasons". Now she's forever imortalized forever with the name "Sherry" and "The Four Seasons". My son-in-law said that Nick cut him short to correct him on her proper name, and told him her name is "Sherry Baby" and not Sherry alone...unique and different to say the least and even more beautiful and it's her's only, but something to think about for a moment when you hear that her name is Sherry Baby as everyone else did tonight when they heard it was Sherry Baby, not just Sherry...I like the uniqueness, and she's born into a celebrity life history, so it's fitting. 

The Four Seasons now have a Disciple to carry on their legacy to a new genaration of future fans as she will be constanly explaining her name to everyone she'll meet...the rest of her life.

I hope I'm not boring anyone with these tibits and my obsession with the The Four Seasons inter-twineing with my life in one way or another for the past 40 years. I'm still trying to find Dodie's brother who has ties to the Frankie Valli's kids in some way...when I do, I'll get back to you with the story...it's a big missing link to my story.   

hw

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/23/06 at 2:52 pm

Of the ones up there, Rag Doll.  That song always made me cry.  My favorite song not listed is "Oh What A Night (December 1963)"

Written By: hot_wax on 11/24/06 at 4:44 pm

Of the ones up there, Rag Doll.  That song always made me cry.  My favorite song not listed is "Oh What A Night (December 1963)"

Yeah, I feel a sadness for her too, maybe we all had a little of that image looked upon us one time or another by some snobby people while we were kids growing up...I was tagged with as a "low life" once by a mother who wouldn't let me date her daughter because of a reputation she heard I had as a 4- F guy...Not true at all, and it hurt to think I wasn't good enough for her liking.

Subject: Re: Nick Massi Jr

Written By: Tom DeCillis on 06/18/08 at 3:20 pm

I was a friend of Nick Massi, Sr.  I managed a production company for Nick and Tommy of the Four Seasons.  I would like to contact Nick jr, since I last saw him at his father's wake in 2000.  Anyone know how I could reach him, or possibly give him my name (formerly from NJ, now in NC) Tom DeCillis, my email is tom_decillis@yahoo.com.  Would really appreciate it.....Actually Id also settle for his brother Robert, or their Mom Marge.

Written By: nally on 06/18/08 at 3:28 pm

I still cannot decide between these:

Walk Like A Man
Candy Girl (i'm surprised this one wasn't listed)
Dawn (Go Away) (<--that's the full title)

They had several great songs.

Written By: wildcard on 06/18/08 at 10:08 pm

I refuse to pick just one.

Written By: hot_wax on 06/18/08 at 10:10 pm

I was a friend of Nick Massi, Sr.  I managed a production company for Nick and Tommy of the Four Seasons.  I would like to contact Nick jr, since I last saw him at his father's wake in 2000.  Anyone know how I could reach him, or possibly give him my name (formerly from NJ, now in NC) Tom DeCillis, my email is tom_decillis@yahoo.com.  Would really appreciate it.....Actually Id also settle for his brother Robert, or their Mom Marge.

I'll check with my son-in-law and get back you. hw

Written By: hot_wax on 06/18/08 at 10:11 pm

I refuse to pick just one.

You're right!

Written By: wildcard on 06/18/08 at 11:15 pm

Tonight I fight to pick one for you guys
But will I favor tomorrow?

added  Just so you know I've always been referred to guys as one of three kids.  I mean everyone when I say guys.

Written By: wildcard on 06/19/08 at 3:00 pm

why don't I
Just go by Ann
Just go rocksann
Just go and change from wi i ld card

needs more work.  actually if I could change my name at Soundclick from rocksann to wildcard I would.

Why not try
Green eggs and ham
Lean eggs and ham
mein eggs and ham to you oo oo oo

Written By: wildcard on 06/19/08 at 11:25 pm

My plants
They all fry y y (They all fry)
My plants a all fr y y (I'm glad some don't die)

Written By: midnite on 06/20/08 at 12:03 am

My favorite is Dont Think Twice, It's Allright.  Anyone know who sings vocals on this one????

I also enjoy Opus 17, Big Girls Dont Cry, and Cant Take My Eyes Off You

Written By: hot_wax on 06/20/08 at 9:09 pm

My favorite is Dont Think Twice, It's Allright.   Anyone know who sings vocals on this one????

I also enjoy Opus 17, Big Girls Dont Cry, and Cant Take My Eyes Off You

The Four Seasons made this song sort of as a goof under the name of The Wonder Who. Frankie Valli sang it in his high falsetto voice, as you know, and the rest of the group in their own voices. There is a story why they did it and they didn't expect anything of it but it caught on did good on the charts and now is staple Four Season song...who what of thunk!! when you're hot you're hot.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/21/08 at 7:36 am

Tough poll - so many good choices.  I pick "Let's Hang On"  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...