inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First radio song I remember

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/04 at 6:21 pm

The first song from the radio that I remember learning the words to was "The Wayward Wind" by Gogi Grant
How about you?

Subject: Re: First radio song I remember

Written By: ProgShred on 07/04/04 at 9:48 pm

I think it was "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash.

My parents only listened to country.  :\'(

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/05/04 at 6:54 am

I think it was "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash.

;D  Sorry ProgShred  :(  RIPPED OFF  :)

The earliest I can remember was "Downtown" by Petula Clark :)

Written By: Paul on 07/05/04 at 7:05 am

Blimey! That's a tough one, let's see...

I do remember Judy Collins' 'Amazing Grace' blaring out of the old Grundig monster we used to have - quite why this particular song sticks in my nut, I couldn't say...

And that would've been just before the family moved (all down to me - we needed the extra bedroom!), so I date that to sometime in 1971...

Written By: mandamoo on 07/05/04 at 7:12 am

I seem to remember stuff on the stereogram....which was probably Herb Alpert. :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/04 at 1:51 pm

I don't remember. I was last of 6 kids and there was ALWAYS music on in my house-my dad listened to classical, my mom, musicals, and all my siblings to pop-music of the day. I do remember waking up to Cousin Brucie in the morning-EVERY morning and I remember hearing some of the songs of the day but I can't say which one was the FIRST!

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 07/05/04 at 4:24 pm

Mine was "There's a Kind of Hush", by Hermans Hermits. I was about 6 probably, and every night I would put my little transistor radio under my pillow when I went to bed, because I knew that song came on about the same time every night! I loved that song, still do, I guess because of the memories I have of it! :)

Written By: Zella on 07/05/04 at 6:14 pm

The two earliest songs I can remember on the radio were "That Summer That Sunday" by Nat King Cole and the Token's version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." My first favorite song tho' was "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash.

Written By: jaytee on 07/06/04 at 3:41 am

I think it may have been Puppet On A String by Sandie Shaw.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/04 at 2:25 pm

I think mine would have to be "Georgy Girl" by The Seekers.  I also remember my mom playing that song on the piano a lot.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/04 at 2:27 pm

My parents listened to country as well as folk music.

Written By: zcrito on 07/07/04 at 9:20 pm

I think mine would have to be "Georgy Girl" by The Seekers.  I also remember my mom playing that song on the piano a lot.  :)

Did you ever see the movie?
It's one of those movies you just gotta see to see how and where they used a song you've heard a hundred times before on the radio. ::)
I finally saw it in the late '70s.

The Brits were turning out some really wild/great movies in the '60s - Alfie, Georgy Girl, Tom Jones, Seance on a Wet Afternoon, Becket and If... come to mind. They sort of ran out of gas in the '70s. ???

Written By: AL-B on 07/07/04 at 10:06 pm

One of the first songs I can remember was "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell. (I still like that song!) :)

Another one of the first songs I can remember (though I didn't find out either the title or the artist until years and years and years later) was "No Matter How Much Your Stomach Hurts," by the T-Bones.
      Now I know you must all be scratching your heads and going "Huh???" over this one, but if you were born within a few years of when I was (1970) and heard this song now I swear you'd recognize it. It was an instrumental that was initially used as background music for an Alka-Seltzer commercial, but it was also released as a single and actually took off enough to make it into the Top 10 pop charts back in 1965. I used to hear this song all the time when I was a kid, on KFAB, an AM adult contemporary station (at the time) out of Omaha that my dad always listened to.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/08/04 at 12:48 pm

Did you ever see the movie?
It's one of those movies you just gotta see to see how and where they used a song you've heard a hundred times before on the radio. ::)

I haven't seen it but one day I hope to.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/08/04 at 12:51 pm

Another one of the first songs I can remember (though I didn't find out either the title or the artist until years and years and years later) was "No Matter How Much Your Stomach Hurts," by the T-Bones.
       Now I know you must all be scratching your heads and going "Huh???" over this one, but if you were born within a few years of when I was (1970) and heard this song now I swear you'd recognize it. It was an instrumental that was initially used as background music for an Alka-Seltzer commercial, but it was also released as a single and actually took off enough to make it into the Top 10 pop charts back in 1965. I used to hear this song all the time when I was a kid, on KFAB, an AM adult contemporary station (at the time) out of Omaha that my dad always listened to.

Actually, the song is called "No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)" and it was a #3 hit in the U.S. in 1965.  :)

Written By: bj26 on 07/08/04 at 2:34 pm

The first song from the radio that I remember learning the words to was "The Wayward Wind" by Gogi Grant
How about you?

I liked that song!  First song I remember, I guess, was Venus by Frankie Avalon.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/08/04 at 3:45 pm

Maybe we should do A a british movie thread.  I'm a big fan.  "Georgie Girl" had Lynne Regrave,
Alan Bates, and James Mason. Think I'll start a thread for anyone interested

Written By: AL-B on 07/08/04 at 5:06 pm

Actually, the song is called "No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)" and it was a #3 hit in the U.S. in 1965.  :)
I stand corrected.  :)

Written By: Paul on 07/08/04 at 6:11 pm

A cracking good song (which is why it stiffed here!)...the 'anonymous' T-Bones were a group of session men who later discovered their real names and recorded as Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds...

Written By: jazzbaby on 07/09/04 at 1:56 pm

"Teddybear's Picnic" on "Big Jon & Sparky".......i still have my autographed photo of Big Jon & Sparky..... ::)

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/09/04 at 2:12 pm

"I Write the Songs"(Barry Manilow)

Written By: AL-B on 07/14/04 at 10:21 pm

A cracking good song (which is why it stiffed here!)...the 'anonymous' T-Bones were a group of session men who later discovered their real names and recorded as Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds...
My brother has an original Ventures LP from around 1963-64, and on the inside sleeve there are pictures of album covers from other bands available on that record label (as was the norm in the 60's). Included was this:
http://www.instromania.net/PHO/Pochettes/T/t-bones%20-%20Boss%20Drag.jpg

;)

Written By: Fett69 on 07/16/04 at 12:14 am

Tom Jones - What's New Pussycat

I was 3 or 4. My mom ended up buying me the 45 cuz I would sing the chorus everytime it came on the radio.  When I hear it now, I get vague memories of the house we lived in at that time.

Written By: Zella on 07/17/04 at 1:44 am

Tom Jones - What's New Pussycat

I was 3 or 4. My mom ended up buying me the 45 cuz I would sing the chorus everytime it came on the radio.  When I hear it now, I get vague memories of the house we lived in at that time.

Near the famous Y Bridge? ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/04 at 7:49 am

Near the famous Y Bridge? ;)

What a memory  :o :o :o :o

Written By: Zella on 07/22/04 at 12:37 am

What a memory  :o :o :o :o

Like a steel trap babe! Does that scare you, or what? :o ;D

Written By: Kathy Arnold on 01/08/05 at 3:20 pm

"Teddybear's Picnic" on "Big Jon & Sparky".......i still have my autographed photo of Big Jon & Sparky..... ::)

Hi....Your not going to believe this but Big Jon was my father. I have no way of proving it but by my birth certificate.
His stage name was Jon Arthur but his legal was Jon Arthur Goerss. Got a new computer for Christmas and in
learning how to use it was searching the internet for CD's on his shows. How wonderful you have an autographed
photo of him. He passed away in February 1983. My parents divorced in 1950 and I am trying to rebuild his legacy
for my grand children. Could you send a copy of the photo to me? If not do you have the words to "Teddybear's
Picnic? Only the melody remains in my head. Thank you for any information you could give me.

Kathy Arnold

Written By: hot_wax on 01/08/05 at 11:41 pm

I didn't know then what the official title was of the very first song I ever heard on the radio, but when my older brother put on the radio program after supper, we waited with  intense anticipation, waiting for those "Cheerios" and "Ovaltine" commercials to end, waited with our make believe finger guns drawn at our hips ready to get the bad guys and the waiting ended...all hell broke out l when we heard the those trumpets started blasting the "Lone Rangers's" song. We ran around the house crazy singing the tile song of the "Lone Ranger" along with all of our POW POW POW's and the BAM BAM BAM sounds of our pointing finger guns blasting away at the bad guys ... Yes, I guess the very first song I remember was the " William Tell Overture"...it still has an arousing effect on me when I hear it...

HI! Ho! Silver Awaaaay!!!!

Hot Wax

Written By: whistledog on 01/10/06 at 11:23 pm

For me, it was in the very early 80's ... Makin' it Work by Doug and the Slugs

Written By: Carl on 01/11/06 at 9:39 am

The Mahattan's 'Kiss and say goodbye'

Written By: ralfy on 03/15/16 at 4:17 am

"Gogi Grant, ‘The Wayward Wind’ Singer, Dies at 91"

http://variety.com/2016/music/obituaries-people-news/gogi-grant-dead-the-wayward-wind-1201729007/

Check for new replies or respond here...