inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why does new technology have to be 'hyped' so much?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/16/04 at 6:23 am

:-\\ Why does some new home-electronics technology have to be hyped so much before people will buy that it works? In the past...Color television was a great example of this. All people had to do was see a working color set in a store window..or know someone who had one and watch theirs. Why did people not accept something that was PROVEN to work like that? Was it that the initial color tv's were expensive,or not much color programming back then to sell the technology..I guess at least NBC convinced some folks,they were THE color network with the latest technology...and I'd bet the gorgeous Peacock helped a lot! And the home computer has only really taken off with the Internet going public,and prices being lowered BIGTIME!! Oh well..

Subject: Re: Why does new technology have to be 'hyped' so much?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 8:11 pm

I hate it too but I suppose hype sells :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/17/04 at 2:37 pm

I guess technology has changed over the past 20 years.Everybody wants to be like everyone else.gadgets such as:

Cell Phones
Humongous Screen TVs
Ipods
Blackberrys
Portable CD & Cassette Players
Gameboy Advance
DTVs

have been hyped up like crazy.Nobody wants to live in the past anymore.They want to move forward.We're living in a fast-paced society now & who the hell knows what crazyass gadget they'll come up with for 2005.  ::)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/04 at 10:16 am

It is called "Keeping up with the Jones'".  Because your neighbors have something, you have to have it too. I feel like I am usually the last to jump on the bandwagon. It wasn't until about 1975 when we got our first color t.v. It was only about 2 or 3 years ago that we went on-line. We got our first DVD player about 6 months ago and our first cell phone about a month ago or so. There is an advantage to that-the newer ones that come out are usually better than when the technology first gets out to the public. Also, the later models are usually cheaper too.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/19/04 at 7:50 pm

I read somewhere that the first mass-produced color TV-RCA's CT-100 "Merrill",was priced at $1000,and they did not sell many...there are actually people who RESTORE these vintage TV's....One is a guy named Pete Deksnis..

Written By: Howard on 07/19/04 at 7:56 pm

It's like a few years from now,VCRs will fade away into oblivion because DVDs seem to be taking over the country with that kind of technology.Every single movie or film is now gonna be put on DVD,I guarantee. ;)

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/20/04 at 8:51 pm

It's like a few years from now,VCRs will fade away into oblivion because DVDs seem to be taking over the country with that kind of technology.Every single movie or film is now gonna be put on DVD,I guarantee. ;)

Howard
I think VCR's are going off into oblivion already,more people are getting stuff like TiVo and DVD recorders. There's even a DVD camcorder! I've also heard that videotape machines at television stations are being phased out gradually,since HDTV has arrived. I read this on a broadcast website as well as the Ampex official website.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/20/04 at 8:59 pm

I guess technology has changed over the past 20 years.Everybody wants to be like everyone else.gadgets such as:

Cell Phones
Humongous Screen TVs
Ipods
Blackberrys
Portable CD & Cassette Players
Gameboy Advance
DTVs

have been hyped up like crazy.Nobody wants to live in the past anymore.They want to move forward.We're living in a fast-paced society now & who the hell knows what crazyass gadget they'll come up with for 2005.  ::)

Howard
You forgot SATTELITE RADIO(Sirius and XM) and TiVo!

Written By: Howard on 07/21/04 at 8:29 pm

You forgot SATTELITE RADIO(Sirius and XM) and TiVo!

Yes Tony Sattelite Radio and Tivo.It's good that people want to keep up with each other. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/21/04 at 8:33 pm

http://www.8trackheaven.com/images/happyhooker9.jpg

8-Track Tapes for those of us who just want to stay in the past. :) ;)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...