inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American Bandstand & Soul Train.

Written By: zcrito on 07/18/04 at 1:41 am

Does anyone remember American Bandstand or Soul Train?

I remember watching these two shows in my early teens. Both came on on Saturday afternoons. American Bandstand at 12:30 and Soul Train at 4:00, I believe. I so loved watching American Bandstand in my early teens. It was made in California with all the *cool* California teens and I wanted to be there or be like them.

Soul Train was much harder to catch sometimes. It came on much later in the afternoon and by the time AB went off I really couldn't spend the rest of the day waiting for it to come on. I always thought Don Cornelius was a better emcee than dip Clark. 

Does anyone else remember these two dance shows? Any shows that were your favorites?

:)

P.S. This new subject could have just as easily been placed in "The 1970's" or "The 1980's", but I went ahead and placed it in this group since this one has the lowest number of posts. ;)

Subject: Re: American Bandstand & Soul Train.

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/04 at 1:54 am

Hey,Zcrito,

I definitely remember both shows but American Bandstand was always my favourite by far.Soul Train brings back memories of Neil Diamond and Barbra Striesand singing "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" but I only watched that show a zillionth of the time I watched AB.Absolutely one of my favourite shows growing up,feeding my love of music and teaching me the latest dance moves  :D
Anyway,it was also great to get to see Blondie perform "Heart Of Glass",Touche with "Take A Look(But Don't Touch)" and Madonna when she first broke out with "Holiday" just to name a few. :)

Written By: zcrito on 07/18/04 at 12:39 pm

I wrote to Dick Clark Productions a year or so ago asking why they never made available on DVD any of those American Bandstand shows. I always thought the reason they haven't done it so far was due to legal problems getting rights for the songs used in each show.

They wrote back saying they want to and are going to make them available on DVD in the near future but they don't have a distributor as of yet.

???

Written By: Howard on 07/18/04 at 1:28 pm

http://www.soultrain.com/stmedia0304/dorianbio2.jpg

I've never even heard of this guy before.Soul Train isn't the same without Don Corneilius anymore.Everything changed because they want to now please the "black community"with Rap & Today's R & B which I'm not too crazy about.Back then,you had all the good 70's and 80's Classic R & B artists and groups but now it's nothing but Rap Train.

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/04 at 2:04 pm

I remember both of these shows. I didn't watch them all the time but once in a while. I remember when Blondie appeared and everyone in school talked about it so I HAD to watch. When she sang "Heart of Glass" she had this thing which looked a little like a bow-why? Your guess is as good as mine. In the 70s, they tried to have a new show called "Solid Gold" but it just wasn't the same calibar as AB or ST.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 07/18/04 at 2:06 pm

I've never even heard of this guy before.Soul Train isn't the same without Don Corneilius anymore.Everything changed because they want to now please the "black community"with Rap & Today's R & B which I'm not too crazy about.Back then,you had all the good 70's and 80's Classic R & B artists and groups but now it's nothing but Rap Train.

Howard

Here ya go, Howard. Here's some people that agree with you...

http://www.jumptheshark.com/s/soultrain.htm

Written By: Howard on 07/18/04 at 2:43 pm

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/soultrain/soultrainIMAGE/soultrain.jpg

They definitely need to bring back this guy right here.Soul Train is dying a slow death. :(

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 07/18/04 at 3:29 pm

I remember both of these shows. I didn't watch them all the time but once in a while. I remember when Blondie appeared and everyone in school talked about it so I HAD to watch. When she sang "Heart of Glass" she had this thing which looked a little like a bow-why? Your guess is as good as mine. In the 70s, they tried to have a new show called "Solid Gold" but it just wasn't the same calibar as AB or ST.

Cat

I loved Solid Gold, at least when Dionne Warwick hosted.  When Marilyn McCoo took over it went down hill, IMO.

Written By: Paul on 07/18/04 at 4:28 pm

'Soul Train'...obviously never shown in its original format in the UK, but I think I vaguely remember a British version which surfaced in the 80's, when dance music was really getting a grip here...

It was also the show that gave birth to Shalamar - fittingly enough, Jeffrey Daniels hosted that 'UK version' for a while...

And both this and American Bandstand shown within 4 hours of each other?

Blimey, zcrito...spoiled rotten, you were...!!

Written By: zcrito on 07/18/04 at 5:56 pm

And both this and American Bandstand shown within 4 hours of each other?
Blimey, zcrito...spoiled rotten, you were...!!

Spoiled rotton?
Yes, but like most teens when you start watching AB and ST you're more than likely not watching the Saturday morning cartoons any longer. So, if I get up late (around 11am) on a Saturday and eat lunch, by the time AB and ST come on it's really cutting into what's left of my day. I always wished they both would come on at night or at least earlier in the day on Saturdays. During the Spring and Summer months I didn't mind getting up earlier so I probably saw those 2 shows the most then.

::)

Written By: Paul on 07/18/04 at 6:20 pm

Spoiled rotton?
Yes, but like most teens when you start watching AB and ST you're more than likely not watching the Saturday morning cartoons any longer. So, if I get up late (around 11am) on a Saturday and eat lunch, by the time AB and ST come on it's really cutting into what's left of my day. I always wished they both would come on at night or at least earlier in the day on Saturdays. During the Spring and Summer months I didn't mind getting up earlier so I probably saw those 2 shows the most then.

::)

No, no, no, my good man...spoiled rotten insofar as being fortunate enough to have a feast of top music TV dished up so close together...pre-MTV days, of course...!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/04 at 7:17 pm

'Soul Train'...obviously never shown in its original format in the UK, but I think I vaguely remember a British version which surfaced in the 80's, when dance music was really getting a grip here...

I remember when Soul Train was on the air, but I never really watched it.  I loved American Bandstand AND that crazy show where people showed off their disco talents...Dance Fever!

It was also the show that gave birth to Shalamar - fittingly enough, Jeffrey Daniels hosted that 'UK version' for a while...

"Second Time Around" is a favorite Shalamar tune.  When I hear it, I instantly recall 1980 and going to the roller rinks with my friends.  ;D

Written By: Koop on 07/18/04 at 7:23 pm

I do!  I hated both of them when I was a young kid.  Why?  Because it meant that Saturday morning cartoons were over.  :D  When I was a little older, I'd watch both if someone I liked was on. 

My mother was actually on Bandstand when she was a teen (it was filmed in Philadelphia then)  Ike and Tina Turner were on the show she went to. 

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/18/04 at 7:46 pm

I remember when Soul Train was on the air, but I never really watched it.  I loved American Bandstand AND that crazy show where people showed off their disco talents...Dance Fever!

"Second Time Around" is a favorite Shalamar tune.  When I hear it, I instantly recall 1980 and going to the roller rinks with my friends.  ;D

ok,CeramicsFanatic,it's confirmed,we MUST be around the same age..I LIVED for Dance Fever along with American Bandstand...rollerrinks in 1980?Absolutely!!!! :)

Written By: zcrito on 07/18/04 at 8:12 pm

No, no, no, my good man...spoiled rotten insofar as being fortunate enough to have a feast of top music TV dished up so close together...pre-MTV days, of course...!

No problem, Paul, I knew what you meant the first time.  ;)

Pre-MTV days? Yes, definitely. Most of my AB and ST watching days were from 1972-1975. After that I caught them when I could.

As for "Dance Fever", do I ever remember that one too. I think that show was popular from like 1978-1981 (or 1982). I can still remember the dance contest shows they had in 1979. Wild stuff! :o

Hmmm...I might need to write to the Dance Fever gang and see if those will ever be available on DVD?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/04 at 11:07 pm

ok,CeramicsFanatic,it's confirmed,we MUST be around the same age..I LIVED for Dance Fever along with American Bandstand...rollerrinks in 1980?Absolutely!!!! :)

Hee hee!  Well I peeked at your profile and it turns out that I'm just 3 years older than you!  That's pretty close!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/18/04 at 11:08 pm

As for "Dance Fever", do I ever remember that one too. I think that show was popular from like 1978-1981 (or 1982). I can still remember the dance contest shows they had in 1979. Wild stuff! :o

Hmmm...I might need to write to the Dance Fever gang and see if those will ever be available on DVD?

Please let us know what you find out, zcrito!  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/04 at 10:09 am

My mother was actually on Bandstand when she was a teen (it was filmed in Philadelphia then)  Ike and Tina Turner were on the show she went to. 

Way cool!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/19/04 at 8:01 pm

http://www.eonline.com/Facts/People/Photos/fs.clark.d.jpg

They need to bring this guy back on a newer version Of American Bandstand. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/19/04 at 8:05 pm

Yeah,now look at the women.They've been showing more cleavage and butt. & I remember when Soul Train was just a pleasant program.Now,it looks too gangsta.  >:( :P

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 07/19/04 at 8:14 pm

Yeah,now look at the women.They've been showing more cleavage and butt. & I remember when Soul Train was just a pleasant program.Now,it looks too gangsta.  >:( :P

Howard

Wasn't it Dance Fever that had the weekly dancers called "The Disco Dance Dimension"? ;D

As for Soul Train, I've only seen it once (part of it) since Don Corneilius left, so I really can't say anything about its current look. I am surprised that it's still on television. ???

Written By: Howard on 07/19/04 at 8:38 pm

Wasn't it Dance Fever that had the weekly dancers called "The Disco Dance Dimension"? ;D

As for Soul Train, I've only seen it once (part of it) since Don Corneilius left, so I really can't say anything about its current look. I am surprised that it's still on television. ???

Soul Train is a joke.I mean now they have guys like Jay Z,Nelly,Mya,R-Kelly as part of their lineup. >:(

Howard

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/19/04 at 10:20 pm

hi zcrito,
"The Disco Dance Dimension" meant nothing to me so I just searched it..could that be from a show called
"Disco Step-by-Step"?  :)      (sounds like a fun show,wish my stations had carried it    :\'( )

Written By: zcrito on 07/20/04 at 11:36 am

hi zcrito,
"The Disco Dance Dimension" meant nothing to me so I just searched it..could that be from a show called
"Disco Step-by-Step"?  :)      (sounds like a fun show,wish my stations had carried it   :\'( )

I may be getting my late '70s dance shows all mixed-up. The DDD may have been on a show called "Soap Factory". And that incredible dance contest I was thinkin of *may* have also been on that show and not Dance Fever. ???

Written By: Howard on 07/20/04 at 4:34 pm

http://www.x-entertainment.com/stuff/l1.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if they could re-vamp this show again?^ :)

Howard

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/21/04 at 10:40 am

Does anyone remember American Bandstand

I don't know anyone who doesn't know of  or remember American Bandstand.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/04 at 6:16 pm

http://www.x-entertainment.com/stuff/l1.jpg

Wouldn't it be great if they could re-vamp this show again?^ :)

Howard

Um...no.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/21/04 at 8:16 pm

Um...no.

Cat

Why Not Kat?  :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/21/04 at 8:25 pm

http://timstvshowcase.com/abtvg5.jpg

Dick Clark from December of 1978 and he still looks good these days. ;D

Howard

Written By: karen on 07/22/04 at 4:07 am

I think I also remember Leee John presenting it.  He was in some group or other, can't remember which though.

I was more a Tube fan at the time.

MTA a quick google search reveal he was in Imagination

Written By: mandamoo on 07/22/04 at 5:48 am

I don't know anyone who doesn't know remember American Bandstand.

I don't, only because it wasn't shown here in Aus. :)

We had our own version which ran from 1958 until 1972. Then in 1974....so began the Sunday night ritual 'Countdown' ! :D 8)

Written By: Howard on 07/22/04 at 7:40 pm

So,I guess American Bandstand doesn't want to go the way that Soul Train is doing right now.I don't think Richard Clark wouldn't want that.

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 07/22/04 at 8:10 pm

OMG, I used to think the Solid Gold Dancers were cool.  That picture shows me that they were just plain scary.

Written By: Butterball on 07/24/04 at 3:08 pm

I never understood what R&B music was about until I watched Soul Train. It was never really shown that much where I live. The radio stations only played top 40. But, when I saw groups like "The Ohio Players", "Brick", "Slave", "Confunkshun", "BT Express", and countless others that I had never heard of, (they never played these groups on the radio where I'm from) I was sprung. These were the days where you might have 10 to 12 or more band members in the group(Parliament, Cameo, KC & the Sunshine Band, etc). Sure they were no doubt lip syncing for television but it was entertaining. Sure would like to find, maybe a box set of Soul Train dvd's from those times. They have these infomercials from Time-Life trying to sell all the hits from the 70's or 80's and what not...why not compile the actual groups singing there hits on dvd, that way you not only get to hear the music, you can watch the group perform it too. Oops! Sorry for getting off topic.

Written By: Howard on 07/25/04 at 10:17 am

I'm just sick and tried of this newer version of Soul Train.It just ticks me off that I have to hear Rap and not the old school that we used to grow up listening to. >:(

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 11:11 pm

I remember these shows. Soul Train (pre-1990) was a staple on our Saturday entertainment line-up. AB I enjoyed b/c of Madonna and to get my pop fix. Soul Train has gone down considerably, though. It will never be the same.

I do agree than Don Cornelius was a cooler emcee than Dick Clark. But, Dick tried his best.

Love, Peace, and Soooooul
Tanya

Written By: woops on 10/14/07 at 3:58 pm

Sylvia; the Moments; Ecstasy, Passion & Pain. 10-13-2007
The Staple Singers; Bunny Sigler. 10-20-2007
Kool & the Gang; Al Wilson; the Natural Four. 10-27-2007
The Fifth Dimension; Al Wilson; Formula IV. 11-03-2007

70s episodes on "Best of Soul Train"...

Worst decade of fashion  8-P :P

The animated train intro is cool though

So,I guess American Bandstand doesn't want to go the way that Soul Train is doing right now.I don't think Richard Clark wouldn't want that.

The "Soul Train" should've been derailed in 1993, when Don left the show...

Check for new replies or respond here...