inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Marilyn Monroe

Written By: Alicia on 07/22/04 at 8:47 pm

Does anyone else like her? I can never find any other fans besides myself, but since there are more people  on here now maybe I can at least fine 1?

Subject: Re: Marilyn Monroe

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/04 at 9:42 pm

I have always liked her....I think she was murdered by JFK, RFK and Peter Lawford...OR they at least conspired to do it >:( I don't have much support on that theory though ::)

Written By: zcrito on 07/22/04 at 11:40 pm

I have always liked her....I think she was murdered by JFK, RFK and Peter Lawford...OR they at least conspired to do it >:( I don't have much support on that theory though ::)

Why would they have or want her murdered? ???

Written By: Alicia on 07/23/04 at 12:38 am

Why would they have or want her murdered? ???

OOO I know this one because she knew to much.  She knew something and was going to blow their cover, see they thought she was a dumb blonde because most people picture her that way, which she is not at all and more people should read up on her.  Yes she did sleep around, but that doesnt make her dumb.  Anywho she threatend to blow their cover and they knew she would so they decided to kill, rumors say it has to do with many things like wars, mafias, and even a cover up pregnancy

Written By: Howard on 07/23/04 at 8:04 pm

Where would she be if she was alive today?  ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/23/04 at 8:07 pm

http://www.eforu.com/cards/pictures/marilynmonroe/mm5.jpg

Here is a beautiful pic of her. :)^

Howard

Written By: Alicia on 07/24/04 at 12:11 am

Howard

Yup I have that one in one of my books may I like to add that theres 25 books of just her in my collection also I have that one in a card collection too  ;D  8)  I dunno where she would be now, I think if she have lived she probably wouldnt be as famous as she is now (not being mean)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/24/04 at 7:15 am

Where would she be if she was alive today?  ???

Howard

Howard, I think she would be shacked up in Rawlins, WY  :)

Lat=41.5N Lon=107.1W Elevation=6780 feet

Maximum temperature 1961 to 1990: 95 F Minimum temperature 1961 to 1990: -36 F

Mean Annual Precipitation: 9.8 inches Mean Annual Snowfall: 62.4 inches

Why ?  How should I know?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/24/04 at 11:00 am

She'd be a 70 year old grandmother with 2 children. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/24/04 at 11:10 am

A pic of her in her later years.

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 07/24/04 at 7:40 pm

Howard

Gee, to me, that doesn't look like Marilyn. I really like Marilyn Monroe. I love all of her films -"Some Like It Hot" is one of my favorite and "Bus Stop" . I think she'd be about 76 or 77 years old if she were still alive and probably one of those glamourous granny types. I'd like to think. She was a great actress-studied with the best and had a tough life but left behind her image forever. I am proud to have the same initials as she does. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/25/04 at 10:14 am

Gee, to me, that doesn't look like Marilyn. I really like Marilyn Monroe. I love all of her films -"Some Like It Hot" is one of my favorite and "Bus Stop" . I think she'd be about 76 or 77 years old if she were still alive and probably one of those glamourous granny types. I'd like to think. She was a great actress-studied with the best and had a tough life but left behind her image forever. I am proud to have the same initials as she does. :)

If she was alive today,how would she react if she saw Tony Curtis? ;D

Howard

Written By: Koop on 07/25/04 at 3:34 pm

I always liked Marilyn.  She was beautiful, funny and made some great really great movies.  I also think that she was more intelligent than people gave her credit for being.  "How to Marry a Millionaire", "Bus Stop" and "Some Like It Hot" are my favorites. 

It's sad to think, she was probably one of the most beautiful women EVER in movies, but if she were starting out now, she would be considered "fat" by today's standards.  Personally, I'd rather be built like Marilyn than any of these pencils with heads that are making films today.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 4:00 pm

I always liked Marilyn.  She was beautiful, funny and made some great really great movies.  I also think that she was more intelligent than people gave her credit for being.  "How to Marry a Millionaire", "Bus Stop" and "Some Like It Hot" are my favorites. 

It's sad to think, she was probably one of the most beautiful women EVER in movies, but if she were starting out now, she would be considered "fat" by today's standards.  Personally, I'd rather be built like Marilyn than any of these pencils with heads that are making films today.
I agree with you completely on the bodies (Twigs) of women today....but I also think that Jayne Mansfield was better looking than Marilyn....just my opinion though!

http://www.psychics.co.uk/images/celeb_jaynemansfield.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 11:08 pm

I think she was a bit entertaining, not an overall great actress. She did have presence on screen, though. I liked her in "The Seven-Year Itch".

Tanya

Written By: Alicia on 07/26/04 at 3:22 pm

I agree with you completely on the bodies (Twigs) of women today....but I also think that Jayne Mansfield was better looking than Marilyn....just my opinion though!

Haha she looked like Marilyn almost. 

aww the bodies of pin-ups from back then.  They were so original, and beautiful and not fake.  girls today are just plain nasty and fake.....not all but a great majority.  I like women with meat on their bones and very shapely

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/04 at 6:16 pm

I'm not a BIG fan of Marilyn's nor do I dislike her. I really love the movie Some Like it Hot. I think Marilyn had some serious problems-drugs, alcohol, etc. But, because she was so beautiful, everyone "took care of her" so to speak rather than getting her the help she needed. I think if she had lived, she would have been a "has-been" because there were some directors, actors, etc. who wouldn't work with her anymore because she was a bit out-of-control with the drugs and alcohol.

I also think that she was murdered-by whom? Who knows. Could have been a Kennedy. It wouldn't surprise me.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/26/04 at 8:46 pm

Hey Rock you can't show that.that pic has boobage. :o ??? Are you sure you won't get into trouble?

Howard

Written By: Alicia on 07/26/04 at 9:33 pm

Hey Rock you can't show that.that pic has boobage. :o ??? Are you sure you won't get into trouble?

Howard

He wont get in trouble...everyone likes boobage :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/04 at 9:44 pm

He wont get in trouble...everyone likes boobage :D
thanks Alicia....besides, it shows no "nip"  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/04 at 8:34 pm

Would she've been married if she was alive today?  ???

Howard

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/09/05 at 7:31 pm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=monroe&GSfn=mar&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=725&pt=Marilyn%20Monroe&

Written By: Valhalla on 09/09/05 at 8:01 pm

i enjoyed watching her in the film Niagara

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/20 at 4:38 pm

On the anniversary of her death, I have been reminded that it is believe that Marilyn Monroe was thinking of Twentieth Century Fox's over-running and over-costing for "Cleopatra" that made her current film "Something's Got to Give" along with Monroe's illnesses to be shelved, and with her troubles led to her suicide.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/20 at 7:22 am

On the anniversary of her death, I have been reminded that it is believe that Marilyn Monroe was thinking of Twentieth Century Fox's over-running and over-costing for "Cleopatra" that made her current film "Something's Got to Give" along with Monroe's illnesses to be shelved, and with her troubles led to her suicide.

How old would she be today?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/20 at 7:49 am

How old would she be today?
If still alive today she would have benn 94 years old.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/20 at 2:18 pm

If still alive today she would have benn 94 years old.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G1sBewCoJVw/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/20 at 1:47 am

She was messed up due to her childhood and her negative experience with Hollywood. I don't think she was 'crazy', but traumatized most likely due to her sexual abuse! I think that medication in the 1950's sucked and she got addicted to the pills. I don't think medication for mental health issues truly became very good until the 1980's. She was just an unlucky woman, and lucky, both at the same time. Had she lived in the 1980's and 1990's, she wouldn't have been addicted to her depression medication, and probably still lived. I don't think she was clinically depressed, but most likely situationally so!

Written By: Howard on 08/18/20 at 7:08 am

She was messed up due to her childhood and her negative experience with Hollywood. I don't think she was 'crazy', but traumatized most likely due to her sexual abuse! I think that medication in the 1950's sucked and she got addicted to the pills. I don't think medication for mental health issues truly became very good until the 1980's. She was just an unlucky woman, and lucky, both at the same time. Had she lived in the 1980's and 1990's, she wouldn't have been addicted to her depression medication, and probably still lived. I don't think she was clinically depressed, but most likely situationally so!

Then what if someone had asked her to go to therapy in The 1960's and wanted to pay for her sessions? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/22 at 1:43 pm

Just released on Netflix is "The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe: The Unheard Tapes". An American documentary film directed by Emma Cooper. It is centered around the life and untimely death of American actress and cultural icon Marilyn Monroe and is told through archival footage and unseen interviews with friends of the star. It sheds light on the events of the night of her death.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/22 at 2:33 pm

Just released on Netflix is "The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe: The Unheard Tapes". An American documentary film directed by Emma Cooper. It is centered around the life and untimely death of American actress and cultural icon Marilyn Monroe and is told through archival footage and unseen interviews with friends of the star. It sheds light on the events of the night of her death.

It's a shame as how she passed away.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/28/22 at 2:56 pm

I like the 1951 comedy "As Young As You Feel" during Marilyn's "up and coming" time.  Here's an excerpt montage good for this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0o2l9yc0w

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/22 at 3:16 pm

My first true encounter with Marilyn Monroe was a double bill of her films "The Seven Year Itch" and "Some Like It Hot". Both films are classics!

Written By: Dude111 on 04/29/22 at 2:16 am

I have only seen her in the bus stop (1956) which is said to be her best movie!

http://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Bus_Stop_(1956_film).html

Written By: Howard on 04/29/22 at 3:27 am

Did you see her final film before she passed away?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/22 at 5:19 am

Did you see her final film before she passed away?
I have seen her last completed film "The Misfits", which is sad to watch for it is the last film of fellow staring actors Montgomery Clift and Clark Gable as well.

I have seen footage of "Something's Got to Give", you can see in her eyes a hint of uncertainty.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/22 at 1:09 pm

I have seen her last completed film "The Misfits", which is sad to watch for it is the last film of fellow staring actors Montgomery Clift and Clark Gable as well.
I have seen footage of "Something's Got to Give", you can see in her eyes a hint of uncertainty.

What was this uncertainty?  ???

Written By: Dude111 on 04/30/22 at 1:21 am

No I havent Howard,was it good buddy?

Written By: Howard on 04/30/22 at 3:35 am

No I havent Howard,was it good buddy?

I think her final film might be on YouTube, you can go try and find it.

Written By: Dude111 on 04/30/22 at 5:31 pm

Muchos Gracious :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/22 at 5:26 am

I think her final film might be on YouTube, you can go try and find it.
It has to be paid to view the film complete, but there are clips available from the film.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/22 at 2:35 pm

It has to be paid to view the film complete, but there are clips available from the film.

And I think her final scene was her getting out of a pool in the buff.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/22 at 2:39 pm

And I think her final scene was her getting out of a pool in the buff.
That must be from the uncompleted film "Something's Got to Give", I do not recall a scene like that in her final released film "The Misfits".

Written By: Howard on 05/03/22 at 3:32 pm

That must be from the uncompleted film "Something's Got to Give", I do not recall a scene like that in her final released film "The Misfits".

The makers of the films could've given the role to someone else.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/22 at 3:41 pm

The makers of the films could've given the role to someone else.
They did, the producers remade the film with Doris Day in the title role with the film "Move Over Darling".

Written By: nally on 06/01/22 at 11:28 pm

Today would have been her 96th birthday. :\'(

By the way, the only film I've seen with her as a main cast member is Some Like It Hot.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/22 at 3:24 am

Today would have been her 96th birthday. :\'(

By the way, the only film I've seen with her as a main cast member is Some Like It Hot.

I think I might have seen her last final film before she had passed away.

Written By: Contigo on 08/19/22 at 6:27 pm

Marilyn was a much better actress than people give her credit for
Bus Stop and Niagara and Seven Year Itch are those I pick as my favorite roles of hers.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/22 at 7:52 am

Marilyn was a much better actress than people give her credit for
Bus Stop and Niagara and Seven Year Itch are those I pick as my favorite roles of hers.

Contigo, Let's say you put her in 2022 (before her drug overdose), what kind of film would you put her in?
Not at the age she is now but her late 20's-early 30's.

Written By: Contigo on 08/21/22 at 8:49 am

Contigo, Let's say you put her in 2022 (before her drug overdose), what kind of film would you put her in?
Not at the age she is now but her late 20's-early 30's.

Any type of comedy or drama role, suspense films , even a western movie .

Written By: Howard on 08/21/22 at 2:56 pm

Any type of comedy or drama role, suspense films , even a western movie .

I bet she would be using Facebook, Instagram Or any other app and I would also bet the amount of followers she would get. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/22 at 4:43 pm

She was a good person overall. But I'm sure she could use some 'poking' of her myth a bit.

The negative about her: She was bit of an attention lover. Nothing against that especially if you're an actor/performer. But it played
a small part in her downfall.

She late for stuff a lot. How much of this is mental health and how much of it is a rebellion against the men that used her, is hard to tell.
Only she would know.

She cared way too much of what other people thought. This is my personal opinion. I haven't read all the books on her so I wouldn't know.

I'm pretty sure she slept with some married men. A good chunk of it might have been for career reasons but it's still bad.

I don't mind her. But I realize that she is a human with her flaws and all.

She wasn't a great actor like her stans say but she did have a strange aura, and charm, about her. Which is why her legend lives on. Elizabeth Taylor is probably a better actress but she was more of an actress than a character. Plus, she wasn't unattractive (Marilyn that is).

Marilyn never looked ugly but you could see her aging (nothing too drastic or horrible) and drunkenness from 1960 to 1962 in some of her pictures.

She's kinda like America's idea of Venus. She also just had bad luck at times too.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/22 at 3:10 am

https://www.womansworld.com/gallery/entertainment/this-is-what-marilyn-monroe-would-look-like-today-103853

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/22 at 7:36 am

https://www.womansworld.com/gallery/entertainment/this-is-what-marilyn-monroe-would-look-like-today-103853
These are just images of her from the past, none give an indication towards how she would look at the age of 96.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/22 at 2:28 pm

These are just images of her from the past, none give an indication towards how she would look at the age of 96.

Just looking at the images, she would resemble more like Betty White in her old age.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/22 at 3:53 pm

She was like a shooting star, she went too fast and too strong.  :(

Written By: Howard on 08/30/22 at 6:48 am

She was like a shooting star, she went too fast and too strong.  :(

If she hadn't resorted to drugs, would she have stayed the same? (physically and mentally?) ???

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/22 at 6:28 pm

If she hadn't resorted to drugs, would she have stayed the same? (physically and mentally?) ???

I heard that medication for mental illness pre~80's sucked. It might have been the pills that saved her from going away sooner. Honestly, part of her life was just a tragedy and bad luck.  :(

Written By: Howard on 08/31/22 at 3:17 am

I heard that medication for mental illness pre~80's sucked. It might have been the pills that saved her from going away sooner. Honestly, part of her life was just a tragedy and bad luck.  :(

Didn't she have a therapist to talk to?

Check for new replies or respond here...