inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Clangers

Written By: Stompgal on 08/12/04 at 10:49 am

Did anyone used to watch them? They started in 1969, the same year Gwen Stefani was born.

Subject: Re: The Clangers

Written By: Paul on 08/12/04 at 4:17 pm

...more co-incidentally, they made their TV debut around the time of the first moon landing...

Although I used to watch, I never really got into the knitted critters big-time, but the show still retains a cult following, and I hear they may be making a comeback...

I don't think the show ever ventured far from these shores, so for anyone who hasn't indulged in the pleasures of green soup and blue string pudding, here's a good place to start...

Written By: Bobby on 08/12/04 at 5:31 pm

Ha ha! The Clangers. I vaguely remember them.

I think that is how the band 'The Soup Dragons' got their name.

Written By: karen on 08/13/04 at 3:59 am

The Clangers has been repeated fairly recently because my daughter was asking me about it.

Oliver Postgate (who did a lot of children's programmes) was the man behind this programme.  I once heard an interview on Radio 4 where he insisted it was all scripted and they even had them swearing!

An absolute children's TV classic.  Teatime viewing essential

Written By: mandamoo on 08/16/04 at 5:56 am

...more co-incidentally, they made their TV debut around the time of the first moon landing...

Although I used to watch, I never really got into the knitted critters big-time, but the show still retains a cult following, and I hear they may be making a comeback...

I don't think the show ever ventured far from these shores, so for anyone who hasn't indulged in the pleasures of green soup and blue string pudding, here's a good place to start...

Thanks for the link Paul, we didn't get this one, unfortunately.

While I'm here and on the subject of great British shows. One I've really enjoyed following and found incredibly fascinating to watch over the years, is the 7 UP documentary series. I'm really looking forward to the next installment....49 UP, I think. :)

Who'd have thought it would still be going after 40 years ! 8)  Bit like me ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/17/04 at 10:39 pm

Sorry....no memory of them here :(

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/04 at 8:01 pm

Sorry....no memory of them here :(

I think it was a British thing. Like Jamie and the magic torch and Chorlton and the Wheelies. 'Hellooorrr lit'ul awld lairdeh'.  ;D

Written By: karen on 08/23/04 at 3:39 am

While I'm here and on the subject of great British shows. One I've really enjoyed following and found incredibly fascinating to watch over the years, is the 7 UP documentary series. I'm really looking forward to the next installment....49 UP, I think. :)

Who'd have thought it would still be going after 40 years ! 8)  Bit like me ;D

I watched the first three of these as part of my Sociology lessons and have followed them ever since.  It's been quite interesting, looking at who became successful and who dropped out of things.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/04 at 8:17 pm

Did The Clangers ever appear on US Television?  ???

Howard

Written By: Paul on 08/24/04 at 3:58 pm

Did The Clangers ever appear on US Television?  ???

Howard

Oo...I shouldn't think so, Howard - it was probably way too 'genteel' and relaxed for American consumption...you have to remember you lot were throwing mad stuff like 'Pufnstuf' and 'Banana Splits' at us around that time...!!

There was always a big hoo-hah when those '7-Up' programmes were updated, but I honestly can't remember the last one being shown...have they died a death? - I s'pose more people are into 'Pop Idol' and 'BB' nowdays...

Written By: Howard on 08/24/04 at 4:30 pm

Oo...I shouldn't think so, Howard - it was probably way too 'genteel' and relaxed for American consumption...you have to remember you lot were throwing mad stuff like 'Pufnstuf' and 'Banana Splits' at us around that time...!!

There was always a big hoo-hah when those '7-Up' programmes were updated, but I honestly can't remember the last one being shown...have they died a death? - I s'pose more people are into 'Pop Idol' and 'BB' nowdays...

So,I think it was like a British Televison Show?  ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/24/04 at 4:36 pm

So,they only lasted 5 Years from October 1969- August 1974? What replaced it after it ran it's final episode?

Howard

Written By: Paul on 08/24/04 at 4:54 pm

So,I think it was like a British Televison Show?  ???

Howard

You think correct, Howard...more precisely, it was a children's show, which would have normally been shown just after the kiddies got home from school, or around lunchtime for the pre-schoolers...

You've hit me with a loaded question about what replaced it...I do know a couple of kids' programmes that began around 1974 - namely 'Bagpuss' (which was made by the same company as 'The Clangers') and 'The Wombles' - both of which I could go into depth (very sad!!)...indeed, 'Bagpuss' was, I think, recently voted the Best British-made Children's TV programme of all time...

Once again, both were very genteel examples of British TV, and would have been lost to the rest of the world...

Then, of course, there was 'Roobarb'...(oh, I'd better stop there...!!)

Written By: Howard on 08/24/04 at 5:14 pm

I saw a mini clip of the show and they look like little pink elephants or aardvarks. ;D

Howard

Written By: mandamoo on 08/25/04 at 4:31 am

I watched the first three of these as part of my Sociology lessons and have followed them ever since. It's been quite interesting, looking at who became successful and who dropped out of things.

Kudos to Michael Apted for keeping it going all these years. I think the theory that he based the series on 'give me a child at 7, and I'll show you the man' rings frighteningly true, in majority !!

Written By: claire on 09/16/04 at 5:24 pm

the clangers are back.................my kids love em.they r on some sky channel

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/05 at 6:10 am

There should be on more often!

Check for new replies or respond here...