inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woodstock today

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/04 at 9:50 am

Woodstock was 35 years ago today, I was there 8)

Subject: Re: Woodstock today

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/04 at 12:04 pm

Way cool! I was just a young tyke at the time and even though it wasn't too far from where I lived (about two hours away or so), no one in my family went.  :\'( The funny thing is, I just purchased the CD and DVD from the concert. My sister had the record (yes, that is LP, vinyl, whatever you want to call it) so I grew up listening to Country Joe and Fish singing "I Feel like I'm Fixing to Die Rag" and Joan Baez singing "Joe Hill" along with many others.

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 08/15/04 at 12:28 pm

Interesting.
Any favorite moments or artists? Were you there for all of it?
Lay it on us, D&M.

:)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/04 at 3:05 pm

Interesting.
Any favorite moments or artists? Were you there for all of it?
Lay it on us, D&M.

:)

The favorite moment was when on the last day we were walking down the road to leave when a car passed by.  We looked in and it was Hendrix! Needless to say we went back and got to see him.  I think it was the last day, it was a long time ago, but we(boyfriend and I) stayed the whole time.  We were pretty close, as a matter of fact, if you see the picture of the people standing against a fence covered up in the rain, our feet are there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/04 at 5:47 pm

The favorite moment was when on the last day we were walking down the road to leave when a car passed by.  We looked in and it was Hendrix! Needless to say we went back and got to see him.  I think it was the last day, it was a long time ago, but we(boyfriend and I) stayed the whole time.  We were pretty close, as a matter of fact, if you see the picture of the people standing against a fence covered up in the rain, our feet are there.

I'm wondering if you are in the DVD that I just bought.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 08/15/04 at 5:53 pm

That is pretty cool, D&M. 

Written By: blackdog on 08/16/04 at 3:55 am

I'm wondering if you are in the DVD that I just bought.

Cat

Wow that's so cool that you were there!  What an incredible experience and to see Jimi Hendrix in a car closeup.  I'll have to check out that photo sometime,  You must've been muddy/dirty??  Did it rain the whole time?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/04 at 5:02 am

Wow that's so cool that you were there!  What an incredible experience and to see Jimi Hendrix in a car closeup.  I'll have to check out that photo sometime,  You must've been muddy/dirty??  Did it rain the whole time?

It rained on and off. We were cold, or hot, and always just about as dirty and as smelly as it got, the ground was more like a clay substance as opposed to dirt, so it really stuck to you. We were smart enough to stay away from any chemicals that were being given away freely, there are some who got sick.  I do remember when they announced the birth of a baby and wonder where he/she is now.  Sly and the Family Stone was another good act, they were in to getting the people up and dancing as opposed to just listening to the music.  It really was a big love fest with people trying to help each other out with food and water.  The promoters really underestimated the crowd that would show up,but I don't  think anyone at that time could really have predicted that type of onslaught.  Oh yeah, I remember Janis

Written By: bj26 on 08/16/04 at 8:05 am

Just met some folks from upper state NY, and they said Woodstock was banned from the town of Woodstock, NY, and the pop festival was never there :o.  It was actually in the town of Bethel, NY!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/16/04 at 11:10 am

Just met some folks from upper state NY, and they said Woodstock was banned from the town of Woodstock, NY, and the pop festival was never there :o.  It was actually in the town of Bethel, NY!

Yeah, that's true, but they still called it Woodstock.  They got Max Yasgur(whoever he was) to let them use his pig farm as an alternate site.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/04 at 6:29 pm

Yeah, that's true, but they still called it Woodstock.  They got Max Yasgur(whoever he was) to let them use his pig farm as an alternate site.

I knew that. Back in the early 80s, I was working on a play in Woodstock (the town, not where the concert was) and it kind of bugged me that they were trying to cash in on the concert. It is a very artsy-fartsy place where old hippies hang out. Part of the reason why they try to cash in on the concert.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/16/04 at 8:44 pm

My parents anniversary was August 2nd,1969 so I wondered if they were around to see Woodstock. ???

Howard

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/25/08 at 10:54 pm

My brother had tixs and asked me to go with him. Mom said No way naked hippies and drugs.. Of course I was only 13 but pouted about it for years.
In spite of the town of Woodstock banning the concert it still remains a mecca for hippies. And is a very cool place.  Except everything is so very expensive because they get a lot of tourists in the summer months. It even costs fortune to live there, but the next town over is dirt cheap or at least used to be. I love all those little towns like Phoenica, Mt Marion ect.. Its my fav place in the country.I lived in Saugerties for 13 years.
If you ever get the change to go there, there is a great eatery called The Woodstock Pub, They have great burgers.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/28/08 at 11:21 pm

It goes without saying I'm seething with envy, lol...

I've seen the Woodstock Diaries film several times, I've probably seen you then I guess! Wow, you met Hendrix  :o? Do you remember the conversation you had with him?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/28/08 at 11:21 pm

My parents anniversary was August 2nd,1969 so I wondered if they were around to see Woodstock. ???

Howard

What anniversary was that Howie?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/08 at 4:14 pm

My brother had tixs and asked me to go with him. Mom said No way naked hippies and drugs.. Of course I was only 13 but pouted about it for years.
In spite of the town of Woodstock banning the concert it still remains a mecca for hippies. And is a very cool place.  Except everything is so very expensive because they get a lot of tourists in the summer months. It even costs fortune to live there, but the next town over is dirt cheap or at least used to be. I love all those little towns like Phoenica, Mt Marion ect.. Its my fav place in the country.I lived in Saugerties for 13 years.
If you ever get the change to go there, there is a great eatery called The Woodstock Pub, They have great burgers.

Saugerties? I lived in Port Ewen for a short time (my mother still lives there). Graduated from Kingston High School.

Cat

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/07/08 at 5:55 pm

Saugerties? I lived in Port Ewen for a short time (my mother still lives there). Graduated from Kingston High School.

Cat

No kidding!!!! My youngest son was born in Kingston Hosp. I lived in Kingston on North Front st too.. It remember it must have been 1980, and they filmed a Pepsi commercial in downtown Kingston.
I love that part of the country especially Saugerties and Blue Mt.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/26/08 at 11:00 am

Woodstock '69 will always be the best Woodstock ever!

Woodstock '94 is now forgotten.

Woodstock '99 was nothing but sheesh!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/26/08 at 12:02 pm

Cat

No kidding!!!! My youngest son was born in Kingston Hosp. I lived in Kingston on North Front st too.. It remember it must have been 1980, and they filmed a Pepsi commercial in downtown Kingston.
I love that part of the country especially Saugerties and Blue Mt.

Saugerties!  Kingston!!  My Roots!!!  When doing my genealogy we found that my gggrands came from New Baltimore, and ended up in Saugerties and Kingston.  The men were boatmen on the Hudson.  One of the older members of the family(whom I never met) still lived there and died about 2 years ago.  If you ran into any Vanderzees or Egberts they would probably be mine.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/08 at 1:56 pm

Saugerties!  Kingston!!  My Roots!!!   When doing my genealogy we found that my gggrands came from New Baltimore, and ended up in Saugerties and Kingston.  The men were boatmen on the Hudson.  One of the older members of the family(whom I never met) still lived there and died about 2 years ago.  If you ran into any Vanderzees or Egberts they would probably be mine.  :)

If you said Broadhead, I think I would have run for the hills. LONG story.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/08 at 11:51 am

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/xwoodhcx/woodstock.jpg

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/06/08 at 6:28 pm

Saugerties!  Kingston!!  My Roots!!!  When doing my genealogy we found that my gggrands came from New Baltimore, and ended up in Saugerties and Kingston.  The men were boatmen on the Hudson.  One of the older members of the family(whom I never met) still lived there and died about 2 years ago.  If you ran into any Vanderzees or Egberts they would probably be mine.  :)

Holy cow.. I know this will most likely disgust Howard or anyone who lives in NYC,but we used to go swimming in the Hudson up there. You had to wear sneakers because there were old brick factories along there and the bottom of the river was covered in pieces of brick. The water was pretty clean though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/08 at 6:23 pm

Holy cow.. I know this will most likely disgust Howard or anyone who lives in NYC,but we used to go swimming in the Hudson up there. You had to wear sneakers because there were old brick factories along there and the bottom of the river was covered in pieces of brick. The water was pretty clean though.

I remember as a kid swimming in the Hudson (in Wappingers Falls) and seeing dead fish floating.  8-P  I know this sounds nasty but as a kid, I didn't care-just wanted to swim.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 10/10/08 at 8:42 am

You can never recapture the feeling of the original. It was about the times they lived in and the fact that it had never been done before with so many high calibre acts. It was a jugernaut that even shocking weather could not curtail........a hugely significant event of those times.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/08 at 3:05 am

I just realized Diane's 10th birthday was on opening day of Woodstock,        & then 15 years later she married >  8)

*Woodstock statistic*    a hit of acid or mescaline sold for $4     total price gouging here  >:(  as that stuff usually went for a dollar & fifty cents

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/15/08 at 6:26 am

I just realized Diane's 10th birthday was on opening day of Woodstock,        & then 15 years later she married >  8)

*Woodstock statistic*    a hit of acid or mescaline sold for $4     total price gouging here  >:(  as that stuff usually went for a dollar & fifty cents

Yeah I remeber when window pai and blotter were 1.00 a hot and you could split it between 4 people.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/15/08 at 11:26 pm

Yeah I remember when window pain and blotter were 1.00 a hit and you could split it between 4 people.
that's what I'm talkin' about!  ;D  Purple Haze, Orange Sunshine, Strawbery Acid, and it was all affordable

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/08 at 4:26 pm

I just realized Diane's 10th birthday was on opening day of Woodstock,         & then 15 years later she married >  8)

Yeah I remeber when window pai and blotter were 1.00 a hot and you could split it between 4 people.

that's what I'm talkin' about!  ;D  Purple Haze, Orange Sunshine, Strawbery Acid, and it was all affordable

Wouldn't know. Never done acid in my life. Now, smoking a joint...that's a different story.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/17/08 at 6:13 pm

Wouldn't know. Never done acid in my life. Now, smoking a joint...that's a different story.  ;)

Cat
i wonder how many pounds of weed was smoked in those 3 days  ??? 

Check for new replies or respond here...