inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the beatles or elvis?

Written By: dale smith on 08/17/04 at 1:36 pm

i personally like the beatles more than elvis, but both are still greats.  who is you favorite of the two?

Subject: Re: the beatles or elvis?

Written By: Mangoo on 08/17/04 at 3:24 pm

The Beatles are the best of all time and there are so many groups I love waaay more than them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/17/04 at 4:43 pm

I have just TWO wishes....this was in the 60's area AND it was a poll....anyway, The Beatles were, are & always will be the greatest of all time. There are many great acts but none was more influential, IMHO ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/04 at 6:25 pm

Beatles all the way.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/04 at 7:51 pm

THE BEATLES, no question about it.

I do love Elvis, though, and not in some hip ironic way.  The King is great!

Written By: Joelle on 08/17/04 at 8:32 pm

The Beatles, absolutely.

I do really like Suspicious Minds and Blue Christmas, though.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 08/17/04 at 10:43 pm

between the two i pick the rolling stones.... ;)

if you want a real answer. the beatles.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/17/04 at 10:49 pm

between the two i pick the rolling stones.... ;)

if you want a real answer. the beatles.
Thanks sputnikcorp....I'll happily enjoy your "Real" answer ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/04 at 12:11 am

The Beatles, absolutely.

I do really like Suspicious Minds and Blue Christmas, though.

"Suspicious Minds" is an awesome song.  I also love "Are You Lonesome Tonight," however my heart belongs to "Jailhouse Rock."

Written By: danootaandme on 08/18/04 at 6:42 am

Beatlesbeatlesbeatlesbeatles 8) 8) 8) 8)

Written By: mandamoo on 08/18/04 at 7:24 am

Beatles !

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/18/04 at 7:38 am

Beatles, no doubt  :)

Written By: Bobby on 08/18/04 at 8:54 am

Wow! I am surprised at the moment of people who picked Beatles. IMO both were good in very different ways and influenced the generations leading from it (whether we realise it or not).

I went for Beatles. They did some interesting (and often downright surreal stuff) and did influence the 'boy-band' idea (even though 4 men playing instruments wasn't a new thing). I just wish the boy-bands of this generation were more . . . interesting.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/18/04 at 10:21 am

The Beatles.

Elvis was a complete rip-off of those who actually did the work in rock and roll. He was derivative of all the African-American singers before him. Nothing was original about him.

Tanya

Written By: Bobby on 08/18/04 at 10:38 am

The Beatles.

Elvis was a complete rip-off of those who actually did the work in rock and roll. He was derivative of all the African-American singers before him. Nothing was original about him.

Tanya

Really? Oh . . . Still, he did some nice songs.

Written By: dale smith on 08/18/04 at 10:53 am

I have just TWO wishes....this was in the 60's area AND it was a poll....anyway, The Beatles were, are & always will be the greatest of all time. There are many great acts but none was more influential, IMHO ;)

i do believe john lennon said something like think before elvis, who was before elvis, nobody

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/18/04 at 10:04 pm

Yes, he did have some great songs. I like I Can't Help Falling in love, In the Ghetto, and the Suspicious Minds.

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/18/04 at 11:08 pm

i do believe john lennon said something like think before elvis, who was before elvis, nobody
Maybe so...but NOBODY influenced people more than the Fab Four...I also liked Elvis ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/04 at 8:06 am

i do believe john Lennon said something like think before Elvis, who was before Elvis, nobody

Lennon also mentioned many of the black artists of his day as being major influences. One of the
reasons the Beatles were appreciated by the black community is that he didn't back down from that
statement and stated that he could not understand why in America there was so much resistance
to black music by mainstream white audiences and radio stations,  Elvis was able to bring that
type of music because he was white, and opened the door to white musicians doing that type of
music, kinda like Eminem and rap.    Lennon was "advised" that it wasn't prudent to acknowledge influences from black music, But being himself he didn't care.

Written By: bj26 on 08/20/04 at 9:43 am

No sure there can be a correlation between music of the Beatles and Elvis, it's too different.  Maybe the Beatles and the Everly Bros.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/04 at 12:32 pm

No sure there can be a correlation between music of the Beatles and Elvis, it's too different.  Maybe the Beatles and the Everly Bros.

Both the Beatles and Elvis roots were heavily derivative of black american rhythm and blues.
The Everly Bros were popular, but footnotes in the field

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/21/04 at 12:01 am

Where is the 'none of the above' choice? :P

Written By: Peregrin on 08/21/04 at 7:26 am

Bad luck hey, Merry?  There isn't one, there isn't a NEED for one, because the choice is obvious !  Beatles  ;D

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 08/21/04 at 6:48 pm

I like the Beatles better.

I really do love the old Elvis movies, though ! :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 10:19 am

Or the "Just for Meriadoc" choice...since usually you are the only one... ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/22/04 at 11:39 am

Without a doubt, The Beatles.  Besides, I can't stand Elvis!  :o :-X ;D

Written By: Paul on 08/22/04 at 12:02 pm

Hoboy...a difficult one here...

Whilst it's true to say that Elvis was lacking something in the originality department, there's no denying the potentcy of his early flush of success - almost every artist that came afterward would harken back to the first time they 'saw or heard Elvis'...

The Beatles from the outset could also be accused of lack of originality - basing most of their act (along with the majority of 'Pool bands of the time) on covering American RnB - the unsung hero in providing a springboard to their success was undoubtedly their producer, George Martin, who gave them free rein with their self-penned material - normally unheard of at the time...

But I think it's unfair to put both side by side, what with different social factors and all, so I'm gonna do the vague thing and say...

...both influential in their own way and right...

...but The Beatles' legacy will be just that more remembered...

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/23/04 at 3:40 pm

Or the "Just for Meriadoc" choice...since usually you are the only one... ;)

Hmmm....well....I can think of 2 other board members who would have answered the same way....  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/23/04 at 5:20 pm

Hmmm....well....I can think of 2 other board members who would have answered the same way....  ;)
Maybe so....but that still is a minority....The Beatles Rule! ;)

Written By: Koop on 08/25/04 at 10:36 pm

I'm in the minority here, but I pick Elvis. 

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 09/03/04 at 9:10 pm

The Beatles.

Tanya

This comment defies all logic and rational thought.
There was nothing original about him?...you must be kidding?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/04/04 at 2:39 am

This comment defies all logic and rational thought.
There was nothing original about him?...you must be kidding?

Sweetheart, when he came out, he was known as playing "race", "jungle", "colored", and "Negro" music, which was already perfected by Ray Charles, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and so many more. In addition, as a teen, he was mocked by his classmates for wearing the same clothes and wearing his hair like a "Negro". Now, if that's being original, clearly you must look up the definition of the word.

His entire style was a clear rip-off of those who worked harder to achieve some level of success. He was to rock what Eminem is to rap: a safe, white package for black music!

Sorry, the truth hurts! But, I'm still willing to share it!  :)

Tanya

Written By: dale smith on 09/04/04 at 3:27 pm

Sweetheart, when he came out, he was known as playing "race", "jungle", "colored", and "Negro" music, which was already perfected by Ray Charles, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and so many more. In addition, as a teen, he was mocked by his classmates for wearing the same clothes and wearing his hair like a "Negro". Now, if that's being original, clearly you must look up the definition of the word.

His entire style was a clear rip-off of those who worked harder to achieve some level of success. He was to rock what Eminem is to rap: a safe, white package for black music!

Sorry, the truth hurts! But, I'm still willing to share it!  :)

Tanya

elvis has left such an impression whether it was a rip off or not he is still known as the king, and as for comparing him to eminem, very true but look at the success that both men have had. so they are both very impressive in their doing "black" music. and that's another thing who determines black and white music?

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 09/04/04 at 4:20 pm

Eminem,unlike Elvis,is a perfect example of a complete rip-off, and has that calculated businessman makin decision,over puduction,over commercialized,trying to suduce the white kids into buying this bullcrap written all over it...
I don't imagine Eminem spent too much time in the ghetto with black kids rapping on street corners..

Elvis,on the other hand,is a product of his environment,growing up in the slums of Mississippi and would absorb both black music and hillbilly music..he would become one of the original white boys to fuse Rhythm & Blues and hillbilly together =rockabilly.
So unlike Eminem,if anything,it would be a more natural thing to hear the black influences in Elvis' music..
If anything, he opened the doors for black artists....Before Elvis came along they may have been selling some records,but not anywhere near the mass quanity that they would after Elvis hit the scene..

To make it sound as though Elvis' musical significance,cultural impact and artistic achievements are as equal to Eminem is to rap is ridiculous...

Sorry dear,you can't have it both ways...If your going to say Elvis was a complete rip off,then you'd have to say the Beatles were to..
Pop and rock music was out on the scene long before they came along....
But like a lot of artists,they borrowed a little bit of this style, and a little bit of that style kind of thing and created their own interpretation..
You Wrote:

"which was already perfected by Ray Charles, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino"

Ray Charles and Fats Domino I'm sure were doing a great job at creating music,and Elvis probably heard the music they were putting out and was influenced by it,and infact covered a few of their tunes..No arguments there...

Chuck Berry wasnt putting records out until 55,and Elvis was at Sun Records in 54...I don't see how he would of even known who Chuck was when he first started recording...

I know Little Richard was recording as early as 51,but I don't think he made much of an impact until the mid 50s?...Again,I doubt Elvis even knew who he was before he started recording 54...

Btw,Chuck Berry's music is a perfect example of things going the other way...he had a country beat to his music for sure..

So no,Elvis' entire style wasnt a clear rip-off ,the man had his own sound and interpretation of those songs he covered by black artists...And when you heard it,there was no doubt it was Elvis..

Btw,I love the Beatles and think they are a great band,as I do own all their cds and a few of their videos...

Just a friendly debate here... :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/05/04 at 12:01 am

I love a friendly debate!

But, if you are going to say that Elvis was a product of his environment, then he should've given credit where it was honestly due! He didn't give his own interpretation, though (and quite honestly, this "explanation" has been given by many white American artists when, unlike their British counterparts, asked about their musical influences). I'm sorry, but his musical significance isn't felt by everyone.  Elvis sold the records he sold b/c he was an accepted face to carry this music. It has been done countless times. For example, Little Richard made a classic tune, "Long Tall Sally". Pat Boone made a cover of it - while it was a definite joke on musical ears, it was "whitewashed" as an acceptable rendition of the song.

After, reading countless biographies and watching countless films on Elvis, his greatest influence was R&B. The rockabilly music was miniscule. Some said that Jerry Lee Lewis's music stemmed from hints of Rockabilly music. It was obvious that Jerry Lee spent countless nights in the juke joints of his hometown listening to the same musical chords as did Elvis.

I certainly agree that it was only natural for Elvis to pick up the sounds that he heard while growing up. But, it is unnatural to think that he originated something that was sooo obviously not his style. If his style was so naturally his, why wasn't there any more like him?

As for the artists you mentioned, they were known in the Black community before they reached the mainstream. If Elvis was only listening to what was in his environment, then he clearly heard of these artists before Ma and Pa Kettle as well as Susie Q did!

To paraphrase Sam Phillips (Sun Studio pioneer), Elvis had the great sound of Black music in a white package, and it was a great opportunity to put him out there to accept Black music more in the mainstream.

Eminem at least acknowledged publicly his influences, not try to say he originated this style. BTW, I am certainly no fan of Eminem!! But, had Elvis, at least, acknowledged it more, my respect level would be greater. However, it wasn't the only American artist to not acknowledge their influences. But, it would've helped!

Tanya

Written By: jaytee on 09/05/04 at 7:42 am

Beatles, but I do love some of Elvis' stuff.

Written By: ElvisAlive on 09/14/04 at 12:43 pm

Elvis!! i like The Beatles but i pick Elvis.
and john lennon said: "Before Elvis there was nothing" and "Before Anyone did anything Elvis did everything"
Paul McCartney: "When we were kids growing up in Liverpool, all we ever wanted to be was Elvis Presley."
http://elvis.org/whattheysay/theysayframe.html
and the beatles were influenced by so al the bands that were influenced by by the beatles were influenced by Elvis!!
Elvis is the best saler and nobody have more gold record than him..
if u was in graceland u will understand what i am talking about, and all the people that come there...

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/04 at 6:17 am

Elvis!! i like The Beatles but i pick Elvis.
and john lennon said: "Before Elvis there was nothing" and "Before Anyone did anything Elvis did everything"
Paul McCartney: "When we were kids growing up in Liverpool, all we ever wanted to be was Elvis Presley."
http://elvis.org/whattheysay/theysayframe.html
and the beatles were influenced by so al the bands that were influenced by by the beatles were influenced by Elvis!!
Elvis is the best saler and nobody have more gold record than him..
if u was in graceland u will understand what i am talking about, and all the people that come there...

You whippersnappers have to get a grip.  Tanya is right. Add that to the fact that the Beatles were very
outspoken about their origins in Black American music, and were told by the powers that be to keep
their mouths shut about it.  The media, at that time would not report what Lennon was saying about
the influence of Black music, and they would have live press conferences where he would say it, but
when they reported it the next day the media would leave those references out.  The Rolling Stones,
The Animals. etc, etc, all say the same.  Didn't any of you see Bono when he met B B King, or hear
Keith Richard talk about Muddy Waters? I am old enough to have been alive at the time the Beatles
came to town and it was almost as if a war was raging between the British Bands trying to give credit
where credit was due, and the media censoring them.  We must not forget that Elvis refused to meet
the Beatles when they came to America, but they were able to rock out with Chuck Berry.  I must add
that Jimi Hendrix couldn't get a break here in the American rock scene, he went to London, his agent
was Chas Chandler of the Animals who arranged for John Lennon to see him, who went wild and told
Eric Clapton about him etc, etc.

Written By: hot_wax on 09/17/04 at 1:10 am

M
Hey Meriadoc! what planet are you from?  If you like Rock n Roll even just wee little bit you have to thank "Early Elvis" for that, and if you hair is now or ever was just a wee bit little long you were a part of the Beatles Mania...you choose by default, like them or not!

Hot Wax

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/17/04 at 10:30 am

I'm just gonna say The Beatles, and leave it at that :)

Written By: hot_wax on 09/20/04 at 9:35 pm

There was only "Early Elvis" 1954-59 the real King... don't confuse "The Sell-Out Elvis" 1961-77  posing as the King.

Yes, he sang and recorded the songs of the Black Artists of that era but not to rip them off but to bring to the White audiences quality music that no-one knew existed. Money was not the motive, just good music to share with all the people. He did a good job too... Everybody still love's Hound Dog..."Long Live the 54/59 King"       

Written By: hot_wax on 09/21/04 at 11:10 pm

The Beatles.

Tanya

Tanya! The Black Artists of that era got their big breaks because Early Elvis, he  had the moxie to bring their music to the white audiences, music that was outlawed on white radio stations.  Black Artists really thanked him for his Martyrdom in his beliefs of equal rights through a common denominator called music, it was rough times back then but the doors started to open-up for the black artists on white stations and big recording companies all because of Early Elvis's "passive aggressiveness" approach for equal rights singing good music...and the black songs he sang were good!  ( They labled him "The King" ...for many reasons)

Hot Wax

Written By: .:.luv.me.tender.:. on 09/23/04 at 9:39 pm

ELVIS PRESLEY IS THE KING ELVIS**ELVIS**ELVIS**ELVIS**

ELVIS PRESLEY is better than the beatles.  The Beatles are good, but they were high making a lot of their songs.  Elvis was a genuine polite man.  Elvis was much better looking than Paul, George, John, and especially Ringo.  Before Elvis was popular, he had fans because of his looks and talent.  The members of the beatles didn't get a second look until they started singing.  The Beatles were very overrated and became popular because they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.
Elvis is the biggest singing legend ever.  Even after his death, he is still more popular than any other singer.  John Lennon is also dead, but nothing much is said about him.
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the Beatles....but Elvis is a whole different comparison.
ELVIS PRESLEY is THE KING of all singers and music.  Nothing beats Elvis.

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/23/04 at 9:53 pm

The Beatles are good, but they were high making a lot of their songs. 

interesting comment..let's see though..who of the Beatles and Elvis has died of a drug overdose?
hmmm?

The Beatles were very overrated

well thats just plain wrong ;D

haha, I'm just playin with ya though cuz The Beatles are my favorite band :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/24/04 at 9:51 pm

interesting comment..let's see though..who of the Beatles and Elvis has died of a drug overdose?
hmmm?

well thats just plain wrong ;D

haha, I'm just playin with ya though cuz The Beatles are my favorite band :)

They were, Are and Always Will Be the BEST!

Written By: zcrito on 09/24/04 at 11:01 pm

Elvis has three songs I really like: Jailhouse Rock, Burning Love and Return to Sender.

But the Fab-4 have more than three that I like, soooooooo...

It's The Beatles for me.

;)
:)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/25/04 at 11:16 pm

Tanya! The Black Artists of that era got their big breaks because Early Elvis, he  had the moxie to bring their music to the white audiences, music that was outlawed on white radio stations.  Black Artists really thanked him for his Martyrdom in his beliefs of equal rights through a common denominator called music, it was rough times back then but the doors started to open-up for the black artists on white stations and big recording companies all because of Early Elvis's "passive aggressiveness" approach for equal rights singing good music...and the black songs he sang were good!  ( They labled him "The King" ...for many reasons)

Hot Wax

I seriously doubt they "thanked" him. Yes, they may have benefitted more. By saying they thanked him, would be similar to hip-hop/rap artists thanking Eminem for winning the oscar for best song (didn't happen).

In fact, the first rock and roll dj Alan Freed (who supposedly coined the phrase "rock and roll") played their music before anyone else. Other djs caught on after that. In addition, Mr. Freed caught serious slack for playing their music. The doors were opened to some, but not all. Many artists were continously ripped off as Elvis acquired his Graceland.

IMHO, to be coined the King, you would've orignated, not emulated, others.

Tanya

Written By: hot_wax on 09/27/04 at 1:20 am

I seriously doubt they "thanked" him. Yes, they may have benefited more. By saying they thanked him, would be similar to hip-hop/rap artists thanking Eminem for winning the oscar for best song (didn't happen).

In fact, the first rock and roll dj Alan Freed (who supposedly coined the phrase "rock and roll") played their music before anyone else. Other djs caught on after that. In addition, Mr. Freed caught serious slack for playing their music. The doors were opened to some, but not all. Many artists were continously ripped off as Elvis acquired his Graceland.

IMHO, to be coined the King, you would've orignated, not emulated, others.

Tanya

Tanya, I think you don't see the big picture in what was going on in the 50's, the pioneers such as Alan Freed, who did and is credited coining the phase "Rock and Roll" to a "new" sound in music, a sound that had a fast arousing beat and quasi sexual lyrics, music that scared the crap out of the White mainstream American up-tight mothers and fathers of the post war protective mentality and went to war on any Rock and Roll medium to protect the virginity of their teenage daughters and protect their sons from turning into Delinquents and from the"Killer Drug Marijuana"...they thought that the sex and drugs and violence where only associated with the Black population and the white kids loving Rock and Roll music where it's roots come from the Black's was inconceivable to the white majority and wanted it stopped and went to war on Rock and Roll.

Allen Freed saw things differently and stuck to his beliefs that there was an injustice to Black Artists and him playing records from the true black artists of "rock and Roll" music would help break down barriers and for them to get the money rewards for their creativity...he did and the "war" was on! a war that got so crazy that even Nat King Cole was arrested for playing his music, he never sang a Rock and Roll song in his career! but was arrested by association only. Things were really getting crazier...the movie Blackboard came out in 54/55 and Bill Haley and the Comets sang the theme "Rock Around the Clock" a song that spearheaded the Rock and Roll revolution, a song that kids reallied around for a rebellion. All hell would brake out when that song came on in the the movie, they would dance in the aisles the ushers tried stop them they would beat up poor guys and then destroyed movie theaters, they rip down moviescreens set fire to the seats and then riot into the streets and take on the police from there on...and who got blamed for it?...Mr.Freed because he played the records from Black Rock and Roll groups which confirmed what the White parents where afraid of in the first place. I can go on, But just go to his web site for the the details.

And along came Elvis, a kid from Mississippi who liked and was brought up on and influenced by Black Artist's songs and their music and even his Gospel roots where black influenced. A kid who had a talent for showmanship, and not so much for song writing and sang what he knew and liked but sang them with the new Rock and Roll beat that was taking over the the country. Cornell Parker latched on to him and promoted Elvis as the mediator between the waring parents and the music world, at first Elvis was the enemy and was ripped for his Showmanship style of presenting his music...he would shake rattle and roll his body parts to the girls in the audience...Too SEX-IE! for kids to watch on TV! but the song Hound Dog he sang was OK and little by little it worked out and Early Elvis was accepted with singing Black Artists songs that the White Majority didn't even know they where written by Blacks Artists at the time, all they were interested in was Cornell Parker's Elvis, and Yes! they made a millions from this phenomenon, but in return catapulted many of the Black Artists to their prominence in the music world because the White kids wanted the real artists behind the songs. Alan Freed and now hundreds of disc jockey's coast to coast played White and Black Artists on the same stations and rest is history.

I'm sorry I wrote much but so little on something so important to what music is today. You see the surface of something that is basically true about " rip offs" but everyone contributed to that Cultural Revolution and I personally thank everyone involved "who took the blows but did it their way"

And Tanya, lighten-up alittle the Black Artists today are multi millionaires from writing lyrics that still have sex drugs and violence in them, so "what go's around come's around" and should thank early Elvis and others for their millions.   

Hot Wax ....( From the Alan Freed's story)                

Written By: Alice on 09/27/04 at 7:22 am

That is a very hard question. And I'm very undecided by it. Like both equally. Elvis or The Beatles...really wouldn't have known. Sorry.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/27/04 at 11:20 am

Hot Wax, I'm cool about the whole thing. I just give credit to where it's due, not the conformist's view of credit. I see what you are saying. I must add that some of the songs did associate sex, drugs, and violence, but not all.

It's cool, though. I love an intellectual conversation on music and the fine arts.

Tanya

Written By: hot_wax on 09/27/04 at 11:02 pm

Hot Wax, I'm cool about the whole thing. I just give credit to where it's due, not the conformist's view of credit. I see what you are saying. I must add that some of the songs did associate sex, drugs, and violence, but not all.

It's cool, though. I love an intellectual conversation on music and the fine arts.

Tanya

Tanya, I love too! I highly respect your thoughts and deep convictions, maybe we'll share more points and counter points of view on music and...

Hot Wax

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/04 at 12:52 pm

Hot Wax, I definitely welcome the sharing of our views with our love for it. It will certainly be interesting!

Tanya

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 09/29/04 at 2:23 pm

i personally like the beatles more than elvis, but both are still greats.  who is you favorite of the two?
Elvis is in a class all by himself. He was and still is the greatest singer and entertainer who ever lived. He had more charisma in his little finger than all other artist put together. The imitators are endless and he was the coolest dresser and style setter there's ever been. The men wanted to be him and the women just wanted him. Time cannot do justice to his greatness unless you were there back when he was everything. He adapted from the 50's 60's and 70's and could sing any style of music. Once he sang a song it stayed sung. His live shows were magic and God's hand was upon him mightily. Sadly this much giftings from above is more than a human can handle and it Killed him.  The Beatles had a unique style and were very creative but they got a little strange in the head.

Written By: .:.luv.me.tender.:. on 10/01/04 at 5:05 pm

Dennis said it perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!  :-D

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/01/04 at 9:19 pm

The Beatles had a unique style and were very creative but they got a little strange in the head.

and Elvis didn't?
oh man, that's funny.
I like the young Elvis, before he made Vegas his style. But after that he was sorta "strange in the head."

Written By: hot_wax on 10/03/04 at 9:55 pm

and Elvis didn't?
oh man, that's funny.
I like the young Elvis, before he made Vegas his style. But after that he was sorta "strange in the head."

Yo! schmartypantz, I'm thinking you came the same school of music I came from back in the 50's, when 45 rpm sold for 79 cents and albums were $2.99 and a pack of Lucky's cost a quarter.

Yeah! there was only one original Elvis that was" Early Elvis" and if these young kids only knew him before his army hitch they would agree with us. You know, after the 1959 to 1961 army hitch he sold out to big business and they turned him into a money making puppet and lost his "cool image" and lost his true fans ( like me ). Those early movies he pumped out every other month sucked and 99% of his songs....sucked! and he failed as a leader and the Beatles dethroned him as King. But remember in the late sixties, with the help of a TV show, he went back to his early roots to gain back his popularity...he sang his old songs dressed in a black leather motorcycle outfit and he recaptured his old fans again and I thought " he's back!" and enjoyed his old time performance which brought back the memories of the past...he was "cool" again and that night jumped started his career again.

So what did the he do with his new found fame?...sells us out again! and he go's to Las Vegas and changes his image to some sort of a Spaceman look wearing all those dumb outfits and becomes and bigger than ever "loser" again and it didn't take long before he knew he it too. A loser that was laughing all the way to the bank to all his new fans money and he hated himself for it, it seemed like it was poetic justice that ended his life, in a strange way an apology to us by him  for selling us out... the ones who originally put him there in the first place.

Hey, am I off base with this or was I right on with Early Elvis and the Later Elvis?

Hot Wax

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/04 at 10:52 pm

Yeah! there was only one original Elvis that was" Early Elvis" and if these young kids only knew him before his army hitch they would agree with us. You know, after the 1959 to 1961 army hitch he sold out to big business and they turned him into a money making puppet and lost his "cool image" and lost his true fans ( like me ). Those early movies he pumped out every other month sucked and 99% of his songs....sucked! and he failed as a leader and the Beatles dethroned him as King. But remember in the late sixties, with the help of a TV show, he went back to his early roots to gain back his popularity...he sang his old songs dressed in a black leather motorcycle outfit and he recaptured his old fans again and I thought " he's back!" and enjoyed his old time performance which brought back the memories of the past...he was "cool" again and that night jumped started his career again.

So what did the he do with his new found fame?...sells us out again! and he go's to Las Vegas and changes his image to some sort of a Spaceman look wearing all those dumb outfits and becomes and bigger than ever "loser" again and it didn't take long before he knew he it too. A loser that was laughing all the way to the bank to all his new fans money and he hated himself for it, it seemed like it was poetic justice that ended his life, in a strange way an apology to us by him  for selling us out... the ones who originally put him there in the first place.

Hey, am I off base with this or was I right on with Early Elvis and the Later Elvis?

Hot Wax

Nice work, hot.
Great summary of his career, especially for the '50s and '60s.

;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/04/04 at 7:42 pm

Nice work, hot.
Great summary of his career, especially for the '50s and '60s.

;)

Yo! schmartypantz, I'm thinking you came the same school of music I came from back in the 50's, when 45 rpm sold for 79 cents and albums were $2.99 and a pack of Lucky's cost a quarter.

So what did the he do with his new found fame?...sells us out again! and he go's to Las Vegas and changes his image to some sort of a Spaceman look wearing all those dumb outfits and becomes and bigger than ever "loser" again and it didn't take long before he knew he it too. A loser that was laughing all the way to the bank to all his new fans money and he hated himself for it, it seemed like it was poetic justice that ended his life, in a strange way an apology to us by him for selling us out... the ones who originally put him there in the first place.

Hot Wax

I agree with zcrito....that was great, hot wax ;)

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 5:32 pm

Beatles. Hands down..

This gives me an idea...

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/11/04 at 8:59 pm

Hot Wax..yep..I totally agree .. and I think we did goto the same school of music..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/11/04 at 9:19 pm

Beatles. Hands down..

This gives me an idea...
Yep! So.... ???

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 10/13/04 at 8:58 am

This debate could go on forever and probably hinges on when you were born and what age you were when you were influenced by either artists. You know i'm for Elvis and i'd love to debate Tanya concerning the black influence especially since she's said E was a rip-off which is cop out and one of the dumbest remarks ever from a otherwise intelligent Lady.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 1:02 pm

This debate could go on forever and probably hinges on when you were born and what age you were when you were influenced by either artists. You know i'm for Elvis and i'd love to debate Tanya concerning the black influence especially since she's said E was a rip-off which is cop out and one of the dumbest remarks ever from a otherwise intelligent Lady.

It's a dumb remark, Dennis? First example, when Elvis attended high school he was often mocked for his choice of clothing and hair style. He was often taunted for dressing like a "negro" or in more derogatory terms, a "n@#@!!r". Second, Sam Phillips has said it numerous times that Elvis provided a sound found in the black community in a white, mainstream body. Third, when he became increasingly popular, parents distrusted him for making "race", "colored", "negro" music,  and other terms for it popular in their homes.

These are truths that realistic. While Elvis was a good perfomer, you can't deny his influences. He was a product of which he came. He grew up in racially mixed neighborhoods of the South. He played and performed what he heard and seen in his neighborhood. In fact, the song "Hound Dog" is a cover of a popular song by Big Mama Thornton, a blues singer that performed it years earlier.

What I said is not a "dumb cop-out", but an observation of not only a true music-lover, but a music student. It would be awfully arrogant to say that the influence is not there. Also, it would be evident that to study Elvis, one should study all, not what the "popular" notion of him is. Even if it means getting to the nitty-gritty of the music for which we claim to love.

Tanya

Written By: Dennis Huskins on 10/14/04 at 8:58 am

Hey Tanya, Sorry for the delay.. we may actually agree about some things yet disagree on others which is what makes America so great that we can do so. First of all you are correct in your assesment of Elvis mirroring the style he was drawn to, he couldn't be a cookie cutter white boy with a crew cut and bland dress codes- he was such an individual he dared to dress like the negro pimp and it looked good on him! He heard the black sound and it set his soul on fire and he followed that calling. Every artist copied or mirrored the influences they are drawn to- Ray Charles, Little Richard you name ANY artist and they will tell you who influenced them and you will see that influence in thier work. When all the white kids had to listen to was depressing country music and Pat Boone milky white stuff Elvis wanted to rock and soul music combined with his gospel roots was that combination that freed him.  His talent was being the first white man to sing black music effectively. That is NOT a rip off that is being an individual Tanya. Elvis was honest and has been quoted as giving his influence credit to Jackie Wilson, Brook Benton and others. His personal record collection was mostly of black artists both  gospel and soul as mine is and i'm considered white too. Do you know how original you'd have to be to be a white kid in the fifties and dress like a black man and sing "thier" music? It freed a generation of white kids who wanted to do the same thing secretly as well as bringing attention to a flood of black artist who up until Elvis were only selling in back street black owned record shops. The klan and all thier co-ignorant likes hated Elvis and he was so origianl he became the King by not compromising who he was. Don't seperate Elvis from the black artists he united us!      Thanks for the debate Tanya, Dennis 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/04 at 1:34 pm

Hi, Dennis! I welcome the debate anytime. I see what you are saying. He did unite some of us musically. Yes, he was an original in the sense that he loved the music so much he wanted to be a part of it. I can't dispute that. It took a lot to do that at such an angry time. It took cajones to do that. No debate here.

However, I guess when I hear others say his the "King", I get a funny feeling b/c to others (not you, I, or other board posters) they usually deny such an influence as if he did completely on his own. I should've articulated my intended message better. It may have come off wrong, which wasn't my intention. Typing a message and saying it (as you know) is different, so I can't convey my tone as well as I wish. When you give credit to those who influenced and/or helped you, it's cool. But, when an artist acts as if he did it on his own, it's not.

I welcome a debate anytime, Dennis. Why don't you join the board?

Tanya

Written By: hot_wax on 10/14/04 at 10:14 pm

It's a dumb remark, Dennis? First example, when Elvis attended high school he was often mocked for his choice of clothing and hair style. He was often taunted for dressing like a "negro" or in more derogatory terms, a "n@#@!!r". Second, Sam Phillips has said it numerous times that Elvis provided a sound found in the black community in a white, mainstream body. Third, when he became increasingly popular, parents distrusted him for making "race", "colored", "negro" music,  and other terms for it popular in their homes.

These are truths that realistic. While Elvis was a good perfomer, you can't deny his influences. He was a product of which he came. He grew up in racially mixed neighborhoods of the South. He played and performed what he heard and seen in his neighborhood. In fact, the song "Hound Dog" is a cover of a popular song by Big Mama Thornton, a blues singer that performed it years earlier.

What I said is not a "dumb cop-out", but an observation of not only a true music-lover, but a music student. It would be awfully arrogant to say that the influence is not there. Also, it would be evident that to study Elvis, one should study all, not what the "popular" notion of him is. Even if it means getting to the nitty-gritty of the music for which we claim to love.

Tanya

Hey! Dennis let me introduce you Tanya...Oh ! you've already met? Well I've had the pleasure of a " Point, Counter Point" discussion with Ms.Tanya and when it was all said and done her knowledge on the history "Rock and Roll" has earned my highest respect. Although her convictions are valid issues on how the roots of R&R developed in the 50's. I think Tanya should lighten- up and  just enjoy the fruits of what it produces today...but she does makes you stew when stirs the pot!

Tanya...you go girl, keep up the good work!

Hot Wax

Written By: dENNIS hUSKINS on 10/15/04 at 8:02 am

Backatcha Tanya, I love a good debate and it's cool when we can agree to disagree and in the process find that we agree a lot of the times in between. I don't believe ANY atrist makes it "on thier own" and where you have been a prolific student of music I have studied Elvis all my life so I naturally will come across as defensive of him -forgive me. I can tell you feel strongly about what you believe and I respect that, that's the only way to live. We have to admire the artistic pioneers who dared to be different and sang from the soul and gave us everything they had. There have been atrtist down through the years I wasn't fond of but in time I've grown to appreciate thier contribution and talents. I have tried to get my shot back in the "crap"  I mean Rap forum but when I submitted it - it wasn't posted- Oh well. As for joining the site - I'm not familiar with all the details- I'm a rookie at such things.
Enjoyed it Tanya, maybe we can do it again.  Dennis

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/15/04 at 1:00 pm

Hey, Hot Wax and Dennis, thanks for the compliments! I do cherish them so!  ;) I would add that our lovely debates keep the this board lively and active. I love it! Yes, Hot Wax, I will lighten up!!!!! I know I can be quite a firecracker. Just ask my husband!

Anyway, I would like to learn from you and vice versa. Without getting too mushy, I look forward to discussing music with you!  :)

Tanya

Written By: bj26 on 10/15/04 at 1:24 pm

Just heard Elvis's rendition of Heartbreak Hotel, songs like that make him blues king rex, like yeh baby, no body can touch that!

Written By: dale smith on 10/17/04 at 6:03 pm

you people are crazy, making a big debate out of a simple question, all i asked was who you preffered of the two, not to give your reasons and the history of the artists.  i know i posted a comment that was somewhat a part of this debate, but now almost wish i hadn't. 

Written By: Howard on 10/17/04 at 7:38 pm

I happen to like them both equal. :)

Howard

Written By: Webstor on 04/21/05 at 12:34 am

This is like comparing apples and oranges.

BOTH are great.  They are from two different eras...
There would be no Beatles without Elvis......
Elvis is one of the pioneers of rock and roll....
The Beatles are to rock and roll what Shakespeare is to books....

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/05 at 4:14 am

Forget bloody Elvis...he must me one of the most undeservedly glorified icons in pop-music history. He did, as you say, mostly just steal from other, mostly black artists. And don't get started on his acting. He only gained fame through his sex appeal. The Beatles, in my book, are far more respectable.

Written By: Webstor on 04/22/05 at 10:28 pm

"Bloody" Elvis???  Well at least we know thats not an AMERICAN saying something negative about the KING.

I give you that Elvis couldnt act worth a lick...all those movies were just vehicles for his songs....
But if you try to put Elvis down or discredit the man......that aint cool.

Most of us probably wouldnt be here today unless one or more of our parents hadnt listened to and/or seen Elvis do his thing...

Written By: Bill Riopelle on 05/18/05 at 7:27 am

Elvis and the Beatles cannot be compared. The Beatles were geniouses at creating music. Elvis was a legendary performer. Both were extraordinary thinkers. Hoever, in comparison...apples and oranges. But I like both!

http://www.myelvistune.com/

BR

Written By: Scotch on 05/21/05 at 2:17 am

When will the myths about Elvis' career ever end?

Elvis was influenced by gospel, country and R&B, and gave credit to all the influences. The distortion that "he never gave credit to others" is so off base it is beyond frustrating.

Little Richard has admitted that Elvis "opened the doors" for black artists. The times were to blame for a lack of respect for R&B artists, not Elvis.

After the '68 Special he recorded the most heartfelt music of his life. In The Ghetto, Don't Cry Daddy, Suspicious Minds, I've Lost You, Always On My Mind, Separate Ways, It's Easy For You are just a few...  I'd really appreciate if someone would actually listen to his post-68 music before going with the tired old "he went to Vegas and then died" line.

Elvis is much more than a three line biography, learn the facts people...

Written By: hornet on 05/21/05 at 2:53 am

i'd say Beatles 

...was'nt ever into the Elvis music myself, and still even today, i know very little about him ! ...am i right in reading previous post's that he had an influence in ..say African/American - Hip Hop etc etc or was this something else ? .. ( if it was hip hop , then i hate him even more  ;D  ...that trash should be eliminated forever - thats not music  ....thats just simply the sh*tiest noise i've ever heard ).

Written By: memory on 06/28/05 at 9:56 pm

beatles

Written By: dale smith on 07/04/05 at 6:22 pm

i'm quite impressed in how long this question has gone on, i had no idea people felt way about music

Written By: TCBrobert on 07/10/05 at 7:40 am

They were both great and they still is! Beatles were fantastic songwriters and musicans, and Elvis was a fantastic singer and entertainer.
Stop comparing them :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/26/05 at 1:51 am

I like Elvis' early stuff, like with the Sun Records and someof his pop songs and some of his late 1960's work, yet, his career was so scattered and somewhat unchanging (except for maybe his days in Hawaii and leisure suits).

When it comes down to it - I think every artist in music has made a decent contribution in the past. It's hard to say who really did a lot for music back then because there was a lot of great music - unlike today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/15 at 7:04 pm

It has to be The Beatles for me, for Elvis song sound the same.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/15 at 1:03 pm

I would have to say a little bit of both.

Written By: annimal on 03/01/15 at 1:06 pm

little bit of both hear too.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/02/15 at 8:20 am

Remember, even before the Beatles hit it on Ed Sullivan Rock music was still doing fine. Surf Rock was the hot new sound right before the Beatles, the Motown Sound was taking off, The Beatles however were much more musically diverse, from their group years right through the solo era. Compare the Early Beatles to Rubber Soul to Sgt. Pepper to Abby Road. All are much more distinctively evolved from each former album. Elvis was more of a singles artist (as was pre-Rubber Soul Beatles), and eventually "sold out" to Hollywood and Vegas. His best period was his pre-Army years. While Elvis has some good hits post-Army, especially pre-Viva Las Vegas, he never quite could keep the stanima of what made him popular. He was much more integral though in establishing Rock music as a real culture. Prior to Elvis, there were a few early Rock hits, but "housewife pop and instrumentals" were still dominant. Elvis not only opened the doors for imitators and also allowed Doo Wop to be more relevant, but his impact was felt worldwide and this allowed the Beatles and the other great '60s bands to make it big. However, Elvis is to the Beatles to what Haydn was to Beethoven. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Elvis and is better than 95% of everybody else who rocked, but when you look at long-term impact and when you read up on their stories, the Beatles clearly have the upper hand.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/15 at 1:00 pm

The early to mid 1970's Elvis.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/15 at 11:16 pm

Image-wise, Elvis has always been the better of the two for me. He knew how to look and when to wink on camera.

Music-wise, The Beatles wins against Elvis, no doubt.

Now, I'm confused and dizzy!  :D  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/15 at 4:07 am

It has to be The Beatles for me, for Elvis song sound the same.
When I say the songs of Elvis 'sound the same', I mean that if I am listening to a Greatest Hits album, I tend to switch off because for the repetitive noise.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/03/15 at 8:31 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQiGUnThxpWi_LwLoK43L7kPmGzvFGcynFIn0gdOdG8X71I6XzuA

Written By: Howard on 03/04/15 at 1:16 pm

The late 1960's Beatles before they broke up.

Check for new replies or respond here...