inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cass Elliott

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 08/21/04 at 7:01 pm

I am a big fan of Mama Cass and regret that she left us at such a young age. Anyone else a fan ?
Any plans of any films about the M's & P's being worked on ? ~  8) :)

Subject: Re: Cass Elliott

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/04 at 8:23 pm

I was watching Biography last night which was about her. She was very carismatic and had a wonderful voice. Two things that really stuck me in that show: 1). Friends and family were very upset about the rumor that she died chocking on a ham sandwich-when in fact, she died of a heart attack. 2). Her daughter was saying when she is in the car with the radio on, and one of Cass' songs comes on (whether with the Mama & the Papas or solo), she turns to her daughter and says, "That's your grandmother."  I thought that was sweet.

Haven't heard anything about a movie in the works, though.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/21/04 at 9:09 pm

Cass and I have the same birthday.  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/22/04 at 9:20 am

I was watching Biography last night which was about her. She was very carismatic and had a wonderful voice. Two things that really stuck me in that show: 1). Friends and family were very upset about the rumor that she died chocking on a ham sandwich-when in fact, she died of a heart attack.

Always a sloppy piece of rumour-mongering, that...I think she was Jewish, so why on Earth she'd be eating a ham sandwich...(!)

She met her end in Harry Nilsson's flat in London - rather gruesomely, this was also the flat where Keith Moon departed some years later...

2). Her daughter was saying when she is in the car with the radio on, and one of Cass' songs comes on (whether with the Mama & the Papas or solo), she turns to her daughter and says, "That's your grandmother."  I thought that was sweet.

Lovely! Although never groundbreaking, the M&P's choice of material, performances and arrangements were, almost without fail, spot-on...

Haven't heard anything about a movie in the works, though.

Cat

Neither have I (it would make for interesting viewing...), but I gather there is to be a four-CD retrospective set in the pipeline - possibly over-egging the pudding, but well-deserved in a way...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/22/04 at 10:17 am

I loved her voice as well as her kind heart...I am a fan :)

Written By: Howard on 08/22/04 at 3:49 pm

http://64.211.46.141//poster/Mama_Cass_Elliot/10042198.jpg

I wonder where she'd be if she was alive today?  ???
She would've been 63 Years old.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/22/04 at 3:53 pm

Cass and I have the same birthday.  :)

I also have the same birthday as Teena Marie & Andy Gibb. :)

Howard

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 08/26/04 at 6:49 pm

Howard - great picture of her ! Yes, CatWoman, I saw the show about her on Biography and it was really wonderful to learn more about her. She had a very interesting short life.

I remember her song "Different" from the H.R. PuffnStuff soundtrack albumn I had when I was a kid. It was cool to see a clip of that on the Bio show. Brought back a lot of childhood memories.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/04 at 7:23 pm

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/May04/Images/1%20HairsprayMarissaco.jpg

Do you think Marissa Janet Winokur would portray a good Mama Cass Elliott in a movie if they ever made one?  ???

Howard

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 08/28/04 at 4:33 pm

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/May04/Images/1%20HairsprayMarissaco.jpg

Do you think Marissa Janet Winokur would portray a good Mama Cass Elliott in a movie if they ever made one?  ???

Howard

Oh, yeah, Howard...now that you mention it - she would probably be very good. I think Cass was taller, though, not sure, but for known actors, I think she'd do well. Plus, she can sing.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/04 at 10:33 am

Oh, yeah, Howard...now that you mention it - she would probably be very good. I think Cass was taller, though, not sure, but for known actors, I think she'd do well. Plus, she can sing.

Let's hope she can sing California Dreaming & their other hits. :)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/04 at 2:12 pm

Off topic-just a bit.

Many, many years ago, I was doing a show with the college I was attending. We went around to local high schools and elementary schools. At one high school, we had just finished the show and was packing up after the school day ended. We were in the auditorium when this vocal group came onto the stage to rehearse. There were two girls and two boys and they sang California Dreamin' and man, were they GREAT!!! They did it almost as well as the Mamas and the Papas. I have no idea who those kids were but they really left an impression on me.

Ok, back to topic.

Cat

Written By: hornet on 08/29/04 at 8:04 pm

dream a little dream was my favourite....or is this just me ?

it seems this song copped alot of sh*t from alot of the critics in the music world...it's got me ?  :-\\   ...but then i like something that sounds differant and catchy...even my 14 y.o son liked it...( till he found out i did as well ) lol. 

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 6:57 pm

Would she have still been with The Mamas and Papas if she hadn't died from a heart attack?  ???

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/04 at 7:03 pm

Would she have still been with The Mamas and Papas if she hadn't died from a heart attack?  ???

Howard

The Mamas and the Papas broke up BEFORE she died and her solo carreer was up and coming.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:08 pm

The Mamas and the Papas broke up BEFORE she died and her solo carreer was up and coming.

Cat

Would she have made a good sounding Disco diva by any chance? ???

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/04 at 7:16 pm

Howard

For what it is worth, The Mamas and the Papas "broke up" very shortly after they hit the big time.  They continued to record, but they basically hated each other's guts by then and the magic was gone.  Why?  Here is the short version:

Michelle Phillips was married to John Phillips

..but..

Michelle was also sleeping with Denny Dougherty.

...which...

Made John mad at both Michelle and Denny

...and...

Also made Cass mad at Michelle because Cass had a crush on Denny

...Then...

Cass proposed marriage to Denny and Denny blew her off.

So in recap:

1. John was mad at Michelle
2. Cass was mad at Michelle
3. John was mad at Denny
4. Cass was fed up with Denny
5. Michelle and Denny were off-limits to each other

...which left John and Cass as the only two people who were not bent out of shape at each other in some way.

At one point they actually fired Michelle from the band and hired a "lookalike" who proved to be a dud.  So they hired Michelle back but it was too late.  Toothpaste was out of the tube.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:28 pm

For what it is worth, The Mamas and the Papas "broke up" very shortly after they hit the big time.  They continued to record, but they basically hated each other's guts by then and the magic was gone.  Why?  Here is the short version:

..but..

...which...

...and...

...Then...

So in recap:

3. John was mad at Denny

...which left John and Cass as the only two people who were not bent out of shape at each other in some way.

At one point they actually fired Michelle from the band and hired a "lookalike" who proved to be a dud.  So they hired Michelle back but it was too late.  Toothpaste was out of the tube.

So,they all had a lot of relationship grudges from what you had wrote LB. ::)

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/04 at 7:37 pm

So,they all had a lot of relationship grudges from what you had wrote LB. ::)

Howard

Yes.  Any by the time that Cass died, she had already been gone from the group for a couple of years.  (Mamas and Papas tried to go on after she left, but it ended very quickly after that).  More twists and turns than even Fleetwood Mac.

When Cass went solo, she also hated the "Mama" designation and tried hard for people to stop calling her "Mama Cass".  She wanted to be known for her OWN talent, which was great.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/30/04 at 7:57 pm

Yes.  Any by the time that Cass died, she had already been gone from the group for a couple of years.  (Mamas and Papas tried to go on after she left, but it ended very quickly after that).  More twists and turns than even Fleetwood Mac.

When Cass went solo, she also hated the "Mama" designation and tried hard for people to stop calling her "Mama Cass".  She wanted to be known for her OWN talent, which was great.  8)

Couldn't they have just be at peace without grabbing at each other's throats? ???

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/04 at 8:22 pm

Couldn't they have just be at peace without grabbing at each other's throats? ???

Howard

Well, at least two of them (Cass and John) were drug addicts too.  When you throw drugs into the mix, all heck breaks loose.  And they were not just smoking a little weed.  They were doing nasty stuff like LSD and H.  :P :-\\

Written By: jaytee on 08/31/04 at 7:01 am

I love that song too :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/03/04 at 12:52 am

I love that song too :)

As do I.  :)

Written By: tvlover1212 on 09/08/04 at 4:09 am

I totally remember the day MAMA CASS died and the story on the news.....it was so sad.  
:-ever.....

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 09/12/04 at 3:36 pm

..but..

...which...

...and...

...Then...

So in recap:

3. John was mad at Denny

LyricBoy,  ;) Thanks for  refreshing our memories with that. Good comprehensive explanation .

Written By: karen stewart on 12/14/04 at 3:03 am

I am a huge fan as well. In fact, my cat's name is "Cass".  If I could have a wish come true it would be to go back in time to the 60's and watch the Mama's and Papa's as they were just getting started, in Grenwich Village or in L.A.  I grew up in the 60's and would give anything to go back.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/04 at 5:51 pm

I'm hoping they make a film on her life soon.

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 12/16/04 at 5:12 pm

..but..

...which...

...and...

...Then...

So in recap:

3. John was mad at Denny

Good summary!  ;D

Can you do other events in history?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/05 at 12:54 am

they had some really great songs!

Erin :)

Written By: Jacky on 04/05/05 at 8:45 pm

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys could help me???? I am in a high school play and in it i am mama cass.  I have not really heard much about her so i dont really know what she is like.  I was wondering if you guys could tell me what she is like, such as her personality or any special movements she would have done.  If you would help i would be sooooo happy so if you would e-mail me at snuglebuny0592@aol.com

Thanks very much

Written By: Fabricio on 08/31/05 at 9:09 am

Hello.
I love her voice since I got a Long Play of M&P in 97 (I was 17). And since I enter the WWW I've been searching M&P and Cass lyrics. I already have many but some are very hard to find. Would anyone know the lyrics of "Welcome to the World"?

Tks a lot ;)

http://www.staleywise.com/collection/schatzberg/schatz_flower_b.jpg

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 09/01/05 at 4:00 am

All of a sudden, I have an intense craving for a ham sandwich! :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/01/05 at 9:01 am

^that was really inappropriate.

Erin

Written By: zcrito on 09/01/05 at 12:48 pm

^that was really inappropriate.

Erin

Maybe it's things like 1997's "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" keeping it alive.

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/05/05 at 6:15 pm

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=elli&GSfn=cass&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=319&pt=Cass%20Elliot&

Written By: Dagwood on 09/05/05 at 6:24 pm

That is a great picture of her, Pennylane.  She was beautiful.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/05 at 9:59 pm

That is a great picture of her, Pennylane.  She was beautiful.

I agree!

Erin :)

Written By: belladonna on 09/06/05 at 5:49 am

it seems this song copped alot of sh*t from alot of the critics in the music world...it's got me ?  :-\\   ...but then i like something that sounds differant and catchy...even my 14 y.o son liked it...( till he found out i did as well ) lol. 

Just before I got to your post I was singing this to myself....one of my favorites, too.

Check for new replies or respond here...