inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Remember Janis Joplin?

Written By: PoetDude on 09/20/04 at 8:14 am

Okay, so it looks like Janis is FINALLY gonna get her due! I mean, the poor girl has been gone for over thirty years now, and it looks like a major theatrical bio pic (The Gospel According To Janis) will be released sometime within the next 12 months or so. Awesome! I mean, The Rose was not even close to being about Janis. It was simply a flick about an interesting Janis-like rock star, etc. But now we might actually get the real thing. Big time.  I'm totally looking forward to this new flick. So how about yourself?

I mean, any other Pearl fans still alive and kickin' out there? Ever see her in concert? Can you remember the first time you heard that strangely beautiful voice of hers? Also, any theories about why it has taken so long for a lot of folks to catch on to the whole Janis experience? I mean, when was the last time you heard some of her awesome songs on the radio? While Jim Morrison and other rock star dudes are  as popular as ever. How come? Seems like most younger folks today have never even heard of her. Or else they only know that she overdosed on drugs, and died totally young, etc. Never heard any of her tunes. Don't wanna know about her beautiful spirit.

I actually heard this one smug twentysomething dude putting Janis down big time a couple months ago. He was carrying on about how "gross" Janis was. That she looked and acted like a "pig". That  she actually had bad skin! How did somebody like that ever become a star? Well, yeah,  compared to some of the superficial talent we have today.....Janis was sorta like this plain Jane type. Her weight would go up and down. And she had some acne problems. But so what? I mean, with all that spirit and talent she had. All that amazing energy. Is  a pretty face better? I'll take Janis any day! I always thought she was totally beautiful.  And I'm really looking forward to this new flick, and I hope it will help some more folks discover Janis for themselves. It's been a long time coming. Am I the only one to feel like this?  Are you looking forward to the new bio pic too?

~PoetDude

Subject: Re: Do You Remember Janis Joplin?

Written By: joedeertae on 09/20/04 at 9:58 am

Right on Brother! :) I couldn't agree more. I am defiantly looking forward to this movie. Never got to see her live in concert but I have seen footage from Livestock. She was cool man 8) It is strange how you can still hear Hendrix, The Doors, Santana etc... on the radio but rarely do you hear Janis anymore. :( I'm sure for a while when the movie comes out we will hear more of her, and hopefully it will stay around. Just a though... maybe McDonald's will have a Janice Joplin "Happy Hippie" meal when the movie comes out complete with Jim Beam, a nice brownie ;) and a "cigarette" for after you eat :D ;D

Written By: PoetDude on 09/20/04 at 2:14 pm

Joe: Good to know I'm not the only Janis fan! LOL. Yeah, I'm totally looking forward to this new movie. And I hope it does help to bring back her music again. Also, I just found out Janis has a really cool website now! So check it out: www.janisjoplin.com. That should take you to the link, etc. Lots of cool pics. And the site is a good one: Laura Joplin got the ball rolling big time.  And she's very loyal and respectful towards her famous sister.  Thanks for the cool response!

~PD

Written By: PoetDude on 09/20/04 at 3:07 pm

Hey, gave the wrong website address before! Sorry about that. Here's the right one now: www.officialjanis.com. A lot of folks are talking about the new Janis flick there. It looks like Pink is gonna play Janis? Say what?

~PD

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 09/20/04 at 6:05 pm

I remember Janis. I was a pre-teen. She sure was unique.I often wonder  "what if" she didn't die. I didn't care for her much, but she was very popular around where I grew up.

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/20/04 at 8:41 pm

Yes, I listen to Janis quite a lot..Cheap Thrills is one of my all time top ten albums. I guess I can understand how some would not appreciate her tho. But she will always be a favorite of mine.
give Turtle Blues a listen :)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/21/04 at 5:11 am

It looks like Pink is gonna play Janis? Say what?

~PD

Huh ??? That's uuhhhhhhhh...... interesting.

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 1:07 am

I remember Janis. I was a pre-teen. She sure was unique.I often wonder  "what if" she didn't die. I didn't care for her much, but she was very popular around where I grew up.

Astring: Yeah, I always wonder about that too! I mean, I hear some really cool song, and I wonder how much better it would have sounded if only Janis could still be alive to record it, etc. She just somehow managed to always put so much soul in everything she did. Thanks for your response!

~PD

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 1:23 am

Yes, I listen to Janis quite a lot..Cheap Thrills is one of my all time top ten albums. I guess I can understand how some would not appreciate her tho. But she will always be a favorite of mine.
give Turtle Blues a listen :)

SP: Yeah, how  about the awesome R. Crumb artwork on the cover, huh? Totally cool! And did you know that all that so-called "background noise" you hear on "Turtle Blues" (glass breaking, somebody sweeping up the mess, and a few folks applauding) was actually done in the studio? On purpose! LOL. But it does make the song sound more immediate and everything. Janis really did do a lot of singing in coffehouses and such. Just wish I could have been there! Thanks for your really cool comment!

~PD

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 1:35 am

Huh ??? That's uuhhhhhhhh...... interesting.

Joe: LOL. That's what I was thinking!  But a lot of folks are defending PINK over on the Joplin site. She's supposed to have a really good voice? I never listened to any of her tunes before. So I don't wanna judge her too harshly. But what's up with that name? LOL. I guess pink is her favorite color? But can she really sing the blues like Janis?

~PD

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 5:44 am

But can she really sing the blues like Janis?

~PD

NOBODY ;) can whale the blues like Janice, but I think Pink (think Pink :P) will be able to do her justice. I've heard her do lots of different tunes of her own and of others' and I think she has a good voice and definatly has the attitude so she can prolly pull it off.

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 10:27 am

NOBODY ;) can whale the blues like Janice, but I think Pink (think Pink :P) will be able to do her justice. I've heard her do lots of different tunes of her own and of others' and I think she has a good voice and definatly has the attitude so she can prolly pull it off.

Joe~I'm keepin' my fingers crossed! :-\\ I mean, I'll be taking a peek at this Janis flick..... no matter what. It's been such a long time coming, etc.

~PD 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/04 at 10:47 am

The first song I remember by Janis was "Mercades Benz" and to this day, that is still my favorite Janis song. I do like some of her others. She really did a lot for the music world. To me, she seems somewhat of an eginma-probably more so than Jim Morrison. Does anyone REALLY know the REAL Janis?

Cat

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 11:00 am

Joe~I'm keepin' my fingers crossed! :-\ I mean, I'll be taking a peek at this Janis flick..... no matter what. It's been such a long time coming, etc.

~PD 8)

Oh yeah PoetDude! I too will definitely be checking it out. :)

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 11:02 am

The first song I remember by Janis was "Mercades Benz" and to this day, that is still my favorite Janis song.

Cat

Agreed Cat, my favorite also  ;) followed closely by everything else ;D

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 11:52 pm

The first song I remember by Janis was "Mercades Benz" and to this day, that is still my favorite Janis song. I do like some of her others. She really did a lot for the music world. To me, she seems somewhat of an eginma-probably more so than Jim Morrison. Does anyone REALLY know the REAL Janis?

Cat

Cat~yeah, Janis is a great mystery for sure. I mean, she somehow totally transformed herself on the stage. I can't think of a single Joplin song that doesn't impress me. I mean, some of the lyrics might be sorta lame (on some of the early Big Brother tracks), but she always somehow rose above that.  She's still my favorite singer (first heard "Piece Of My Heart" around 1977). There's only one Janis... 8)

~PD 8)

Written By: PoetDude on 09/23/04 at 12:02 am

Oh yeah PoetDude! I too will definitely be checking it out. :)

Joe~cool! 8) I'm hoping that lots of folks will still see the Janis flick.....even if they don't especially care for PINK. I'm gonna be there for sure! :)

~PD 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/04 at 6:39 am

I saw Janis at Woodstock.  I remember when Big Brother and the Holding Co. album came out, and I remember the day she died.  Hers was a sad story sung in her songs.  She was a great loss to
fans who love to hear a woman sing in a womans voice, not this cutesy bay girl thing most have going on,
God, I wish there were more voices like hers.

Written By: Janet on 10/13/04 at 2:38 pm

Okay, so it looks like Janis is FINALLY gonna get her due! I mean, the poor girl has been gone for over thirty years now, and it looks like a major theatrical bio pic (The Gospel According To Janis) will be released sometime within the next 12 months or so. Awesome! I mean, The Rose was not even close to being about Janis. It was simply a flick about an interesting Janis-like rock star, etc. But now we might actually get the real thing. Big time.  I'm totally looking forward to this new flick. So how about yourself?

I mean, any other Pearl fans still alive and kickin' out there? Ever see her in concert? Can you remember the first time you heard that strangely beautiful voice of hers? Also, any theories about why it has taken so long for a lot of folks to catch on to the whole Janis experience? I mean, when was the last time you heard some of her awesome songs on the radio? While Jim Morrison and other rock star dudes are  as popular as ever. How come? Seems like most younger folks today have never even heard of her. Or else they only know that she overdosed on drugs, and died totally young, etc. Never heard any of her tunes. Don't wanna know about her beautiful spirit.

I actually heard this one smug twentysomething dude putting Janis down big time a couple months ago. He was carrying on about how "gross" Janis was. That she looked and acted like a "pig". That  she actually had bad skin! How did somebody like that ever become a star? Well, yeah,  compared to some of the superficial talent we have today.....Janis was sorta like this plain Jane type. Her weight would go up and down. And she had some acne problems. But so what? I mean, with all that spirit and talent she had. All that amazing energy. Is  a pretty face better? I'll take Janis any day! I always thought she was totally beautiful.  And I'm really looking forward to this new flick, and I hope it will help some more folks discover Janis for themselves. It's been a long time coming. Am I the only one to feel like this?  Are you looking forward to the new bio pic too?

~PoetDude

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 4:02 pm

One fine example of blue-eyed soul! She was fantastic and I wish I was there to see her live! "Piece of My Heart" is just one of my faves! A truly great piece of work there!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 5:21 pm

She was a shooting star :\'(

Written By: Howard on 10/13/04 at 5:50 pm

What would Janis Joplin be doing if she was alive today?  ???

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 9:23 pm

What would Janis Joplin be doing if she was alive today?  ???

Howard
heroin :-\\

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 4:20 pm

heroin :-\\

I'm saying if she never had taken the drugs and heroin,would she have still been active in the music business?  ???

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/04 at 4:54 pm

Honestly, I don't know what she'd be doing. The music scene changed so much. It almost seems like her death (along with Jimi's, etc) had to happen for people to appreciate good music. It would've been cool to see what John Lennon would've been doing. I think he could've hooked up with Public Enemy to do a good message song (especially now).

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/14/04 at 5:31 pm

Honestly, I don't know what she'd be doing. The music scene changed so much. It almost seems like her death (along with Jimi's, etc) had to happen for people to appreciate good music. It would've been cool to see what John Lennon would've been doing. I think he could've hooked up with Public Enemy to do a good message song (especially now).

Tanya

That would've been great to see John Lennon team with Public Enemy or Jimi Hendrix and Lenny Kravitz together.

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/14/04 at 5:40 pm

That would've been great to see John Lennon team with Public Enemy or Jimi Hendrix and Lenny Kravitz together.

Howard

That would've been two very funky collaborations!

Tanya

Written By: joedeertae on 10/15/04 at 5:35 am

... or Jimi Hendrix and Lenny Kravitz together.

Howard

That would've been two very funky collaborations!

Tanya

NO DOUBT! I would have LOVED to see/hear how that came out 8)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 4:38 pm

NO DOUBT! I would have LOVED to see/hear how that came out 8)

I mean Lenny Kravitz sounds just like Jimi Hendrix and Jimi today,if he was alive would've been pround of Lenny. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 4:39 pm

Tanya

Or John Lennon and The Black Eyed Peas. ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...