inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Drive-In Restaurants

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/05/04 at 7:40 am

Like the drive-in movie, a popular trend from the 50's and 60's was going to a drive-in restaurant and sitting in your car while a carhop, sometimes on roller skates, brought you a tray of food and slid it on your window. 

I'm not quite that old, but as a little kid, I used to go to places like A & W and Dog & Suds with my family for hot dogs and ice cream cones.  I wish they had one of those Sonic drive-ins where I live - I see their ads on tv all the time.

Has anyone else hear ever been to a drive-in restaurant, or have one near where they live? (can be a major name or just a local hangout)  :)

Subject: Re: Drive-In Restaurants

Written By: gemini61 on 10/05/04 at 7:51 am

Ah yes, the Drive in Restaraunt! We went all the time when I was a kid in the 60s.  Frisch's Big Boy, and Country Kitchen mostly.  You had to order through the little speaker and could hardly understand what they were saying.  It was fun as a kid. Then when I got older they became hangouts for high schoolers, who would park there and play music and just drive around the place.  I think it got to be too much of just a hang out. That's when they started to phase out.  There's still an A&W near where I live and also a Sonic.  But don't really go there too much anymore.

Written By: bj26 on 10/05/04 at 9:41 am

Turn your speaker volumn up real loud!!!

http://www.thevarsity.com/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/04 at 12:09 pm

I remember going to A&W and getting a "baby root beer" that came in a little tiny mug. I loved those mugs and wanted to steal one but my mother wouldn't let me. Man, I hate when that happens.

I think there may be an A&W about 30 miles from here but not too sure if it is still open-it was a few years ago.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/05/04 at 1:22 pm

I've been to the Varsity in Atlanta. Great food and atmosphere. Many of the original staff are still there.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/04 at 2:11 pm

Adventure Car Hop in Saugus
Come dressed just as you are
Adventure where the service is fast
and you never get out of your car! ;D
(say "whoo whoo ginsberg and get yourself a free ginsberger ;))

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 6:03 pm

I'm not quite that old, but as a little kid, I used to go to places like A & W and Dog & Suds with my family for hot dogs and ice cream cones. 

I AM old enough to remember liking both ::) ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/05/04 at 6:05 pm

I wish they had one of those Sonic drive-ins where I live - I see their ads on tv all the time.

I think thier food is alright but IMO it's a bit pricey....thier ads are only a little better than those STUPID McDonalds ones...."Stay AWAY from my chicken"....I WILL ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/05/04 at 7:16 pm

Now fast food restaurants have Drive Thru restaurants where you talk so loud in this loudspeaker so that the guy who takes your order can ask you to repeat your order then have your order messed up because you couldn't explain yourself. ::)

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 10/05/04 at 7:30 pm

My first job was at a drive-in restaurant with carhops and skates (if they wanted to wear them).  It is still operating to this day.  Of course, being attached to the best sit down restaurant in that town helps alot.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/04 at 8:03 pm

Drive In Restaurants were pretty popular on Happy Days. :)

Howard

Written By: schmartypantz on 10/05/04 at 8:28 pm

the Drive in Burger place was a great hang out when I was a teen..cheesburgers and fires with a coke. they hang the tray on your rolled down window..good times.
they aren't around here anymore..and my doctor says I shouldn'd have all that greasy food anyway:(

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/06/04 at 7:35 am

Drive In Restaurants were pretty popular on Happy Days. :)

Howard

There is a frozen custard stand in Milwaukee, where Happy Days was set, called Kopp's Frozen Custard - they used the outside of this place to shoot the exterior scenes for Arnold's Drive-In on the show. (I grew up in Milwaukee, that's how I know this)

Written By: Howard on 10/06/04 at 7:31 pm

In 2004,would they still have the girls on their roller skates taking your order?  ;D

Howard

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/04 at 6:40 am

In 2004,would they still have the girls on their roller skates taking your order?  ;D

Howard

No, they take of the skates, and the tops, and call it Hooters.

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/07/04 at 7:39 am

Howard

I've seen on tv where they use roller blades at Sonic.

Written By: Jessica on 10/07/04 at 1:26 pm

I love that restaurant. ;D As tacky as they make it sound, it's a very nice place and the waitresses (despite being in skimpy clothing) are the nicest around.

Our last drive-in restaurant was closed a couple of weeks ago, due to an a$$hole with too much time on his hands. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/07/04 at 6:31 pm

Now,that would make my day.just imagine them falling off their skates and their tops come off. ;D ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/07/04 at 6:33 pm

I love that restaurant. ;D As tacky as they make it sound, it's a very nice place and the waitresses (despite being in skimpy clothing) are the nicest around.

Our last drive-in restaurant was closed a couple of weeks ago, due to an a$$hole with too much time on his hands. ::)

Can you actually flirt with the women at Hooters? ;D

Howard

Written By: Jessica on 10/08/04 at 2:33 pm

Howard

You can, but they do ignore it and are quite professional. If someone gets out of hand, I'm sure they get tossed out.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 3:45 pm

love that restaurant.  As tacky as they make it sound, it's a very nice place and the waitresses (despite being in skimpy clothing) are the nicest around.

If you combined Hooters and Chippendales,you'd Chipooters. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/08/04 at 3:46 pm

You can, but they do ignore it and are quite professional. If someone gets out of hand, I'm sure they get tossed out.

Hey,if you slip them a 50 or 100,just maybe they'll consider. ;D ;)

Howard

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 5:26 pm

Oooo I love eating at Sonic. Although the ones around here, they aren't on skates. Bummer.

But at least the waitresses wear those shorts.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/10/04 at 6:27 pm

They should have a Hooters Take Out or Drive In someday if they build one.
They make that place look like a nudie bar,the way they have those short shirts with the boobs hanging out.They deserve to be flirted with. ;D

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/11/04 at 7:32 am

Outback Steakhouse sort of has drive-in service nowadays - they offer curb service where they bring the food out to your car if you're getting it to go.  :)

Written By: Koop on 10/11/04 at 3:48 pm

Turn your speaker volumn up real loud!!!

http://www.thevarsity.com/

We were there just last night.  It's a fun place to go, although, I generally prefer going in. (at least at the downtown Varsity)  You get the full atmosphere that way. (Whaddaya have?) :)

Written By: Howard on 10/11/04 at 6:37 pm

Outback Steakhouse sort of has drive-in service nowadays - they offer curb service where they bring the food out to your car if you're getting it to go.  :)

like if you want a Steak a Bloomin' Onion & a Large Coke to go,they'll order it for you? ???

Howard

Written By: joedeertae on 10/15/04 at 10:22 am

I go to Sonic regularly. They are all over Houston and the surrounding areas so everywhere I go I see Sonic. I have run across a couple of them that have one or two waitresses on skates. Also, a lot of the A&W places popping up all over in the last few years around here, only their not the same, they are most often found at one end of a convenience store, but they still have the root beer on tap and the root beer floats are the best around.

Howard

Yeah, they do ignore it for the most part, being around it all day they have heard about everything you could say and have grown quite weary of it. I agree with Jessica, I love that place! They have GREAT hot wings and burgers and it has a killer atmosphere for watching sports.

Written By: Mona on 10/15/04 at 2:00 pm

I go to Sonic regularly. They are all over Houston and the surrounding areas so everywhere I go I see Sonic. I have run across a couple of them that have one or two waitresses on skates. Also, a lot of the A&W places popping up all over in the last few years around here, only their not the same, they are most often found at one end of a convenience store, but they still have the root beer on tap and the root beer floats are the best around.

I'm from Central Texas, but live in Ohio now.  We really miss Sonic.  There are a couple of them up here but none of them very close to us.

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/15/04 at 2:08 pm

like if you want a Steak a Bloomin' Onion & a Large Coke to go,they'll order it for you? ???

Howard

The way it works is you call up ahead of time and place your order and then they bring it out to your car.  :)

Written By: joedeertae on 10/15/04 at 2:55 pm

I'm from Central Texas, but live in Ohio now.  We really miss Sonic.  There are a couple of them up here but none of them very close to us.

My wife is from/has family in Lima, OH. We went there to visit quite a few years back and went to a little burger join there called Kewpee's. I miss those burgers most of all. ::) I remember they had pickle relish or something on them that made them different, but MAN were they good :) I just about made myself sick trying to eat 'em every day I was there. :D

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/15/04 at 3:04 pm

My wife is from/has family in Lima, OH. We went there to visit quite a few years back and went to a little burger join there called Kewpee's. I miss those burgers most of all. ::) I remember they had pickle relish or something on them that made them different, but MAN were they good :) I just about made myself sick trying to eat 'em every day I was there. :D

Have you ever been to The Pig Stand - I think it's in Dallas.  It's supposed to be the first drive-in to ever open in the United States.  It's still open, but they no longer have drive-in service - on Friday nights people can hang out in the old curbside area with their classic cars.  8)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/04 at 4:31 pm

The way it works is you call up ahead of time and place your order and then they bring it out to your car.  :)

That sounds really convienent! I think I'll try that one day. :)

Howard

Written By: joedeertae on 10/15/04 at 5:36 pm

Have you ever been to The Pig Stand - I think it's in Dallas.  It's supposed to be the first drive-in to ever open in the United States.  It's still open, but they no longer have drive-in service - on Friday nights people can hang out in the old curbside area with their classic cars.  8)

No, but I have heard of it for years and hope to get a chance to go someday. I am a BIG hamburger fan. I do loves me burgers! Most time I will take a good old-fashioned hamburger over a steak. ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/16/04 at 6:11 pm

Drive In Restaurants are pretty popular here in The New York City metropolitan area. :)

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...