inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Looney Tunes cartoons

Written By: woops on 10/19/04 at 6:42 pm

Here's some of my favorite Looney Tunes threatrical shorts:  :)

Now only can be seen on Boomerang, but it's on a 4 disc compilation DVD set, "The Golden Age..." and some other cheaper sets.  :D

Bugs Bunny

"Bully For Bugs", when he took on a bull at a bull fight. Includes Mexican hat dance scene.

"Little Red Riding Rabbit

A parody of "Little Red Riding Hood" when he outsmart a wolf.

Duck! Rabbit! Duck!

The classic cartoon with Elmer Fudd hunting Bugs & Daffy.

Porky In Wackyland

One of my favorite Porky Pig cartoons from Bob Clampett in which he's in a surrealistic land to capture a do do bird.

"Bad Time Story" (?)

The one where Porky & Gabby Goat tries to sleep. I think it was remade later with Daffy.

Daffy Duck

"Impatient Patient"

Where Daffy Duck had the hiccups & met some Jeckyl/Hyde monster.

"Duck Dodgers of the 24 1/2 Century"

A classic Sci Fi parody of Buck Rogers.

"Scrap Happy Daffy"

A WWII cartoon with Daffy saving the supply of metal from a Nazi goat.

And a couple titles I don't know of, but liked. (BTW, I'm not a huge fan, but have a small handful of knowledge from watching Toon Heads a few years ago  :))

A couple Coyote & Roadrunner shorts, Tweety, Speedy Gonzales, Slyvestor, etc.

Except for most from the '30's. Except for a couple Porky Pig shorts.

Subject: Re: Favorite Looney Tunes cartoons

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/04 at 10:34 am

"Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit.."

I really like is the one where the artist keeps drawing Daffy in strange ways and at the end you discover it is the Bugs who says "Ain't I a stinker?"

I also like the Robin Hood one

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/20/04 at 6:32 pm

http://e-heap.net/files/cartoon_films/Bugs_Bunny/wallpaper/1024/Bugs_Bunny_008.jpg

"Wabbit Season" ;D

when Yosemite Sam always gets tricked by Bugs Bunny almost all the time. ;D

& when Elmer thinks he has some sort of rabbit-itis. ;D

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/21/04 at 7:28 pm

Name most and make a poll.... ::) :D

Written By: woops on 10/21/04 at 10:04 pm

Name most and make a poll.... ::) :D

I made a poll with about 25 classic Looney Tunes shorts.

With a couple from Jerry Beck's "50 Greatest Cartoons..." book & those that were overplayed on Cartoon Network.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/22/04 at 4:41 pm

I made a poll with about 25 classic Looney Tunes shorts.

With a couple from Jerry Beck's "50 Greatest Cartoons..." book & those that were overplayed on Cartoon Network.

You DID make a poll some time back....I finally found it! :)

Written By: woops on 10/22/04 at 9:00 pm

You DID make a poll some time back....I finally found it! :)

That was a poll of Looney Tunes characters.

The current poll & this thread is about favorite episodes of those shorts.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/04 at 4:45 pm

Cartoons with Sylvester and Tweety in them. ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 11/07/04 at 7:05 pm

Cartoons with Sylvester and Tweety in them. ;D

Howard

Sylvester would always try to "get" Tweety out of the cage...I don't know what he wanted from Tweety, but his attempts always failed. I do always enjoy Tweety's signature quote, "I tawt I taw a puddy tat! ... I did! I did taw a puddy tat!" ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/08/04 at 5:43 pm

Marvin The Martian and Bugs Bunny! ;D

Howard

Written By: onaree on 11/09/04 at 9:33 am

IMO, the best ones were directed by Chuck Jones.  He's responsible for Pepe Le Pew and Penelope.  I really love how these cartoons have stood the test of time.  There will never be cartoons quite as good as Bugs and Pals. 

Written By: Howard on 11/09/04 at 5:36 pm

Pepe Le Pew And Fifi. ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 12/03/04 at 6:52 pm

when Yosemite Sam always gets tricked by Bugs Bunny almost all the time. ;D

& when Elmer thinks he has some sort of rabbit-itis. ;D

Cartoons like those always cracked me up. :D

Written By: woops on 12/03/04 at 8:13 pm

I also liked the "I Love to Singa" cartoon  :) (Remember the scene in the first episode of "South Park"  :D )

And the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons with the chicken hawk.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/04 at 7:11 pm

Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd ;D

Howard

Written By: woops on 06/09/05 at 9:56 pm

"Tortoise  Wins By A Hare"...  :D

Once again, Bugs challenges a rematch with Cecil Turtle... this time we builds a shell that makes him fast.

He ends up getting beaten up by a gang of rabbits and the final scene was intact on the DVD set, though it's also on the cheaper "Spotlight Collection" set...less toons, but still worth checking. Except for the second "Spotlight Collection" set, which could've been much better.

"Bugs Bunny & The Three Bears"... especially with the mama bear going crazy for Bugs after he flirted with her

"Speedy Gonzales"... Oscar winning cartoon with Sylvestor gaurding a cheese factory and Speedy trying to give the cheese to the his fellow mice  Offensive to cat lovers, but as a Hispanic...I though this was a good cartoon

"Lumber Jerks"... Chip n' Dale ripoff Mac & Tosh (Goofy Gophers) goes to a factory to attempt to save their tree

"Bugs Bunny Gets The Boid"...featuring Beaky Buzzard trying to catch Bugs

"Frigid Hare"... Bugs saves a penguin from an Eskimo, also uncut (some slurs were edited out when it aired on TV)

"Don't Give Up The Sheep" with a sheep dog gaurding sheep and a wolf, that resembles Wile E. Coyote...with a red nose, tries to steal them, but gets beaten up by the sheepdog

And a couple more...  :D

Written By: nally on 06/10/05 at 10:54 am

"Lumber Jerks"... Chip n' Dale ripoff Mac & Tosh (Goofy Gophers) goes to a factory to attempt to save their tree

I always wondered what the names of those gophers were. :D I think there was a cartoon where they went to a factory where tomato sauce was made and one of the gophers got stuck in a can and the other gopher had to open up every can to rescue his buddy, who was in the last one!

Written By: holicman on 06/18/05 at 8:31 am

Sylvester would always try to "get" Tweety out of the cage...I don't know what he wanted from Tweety, but his attempts always failed. I do always enjoy Tweety's signature quote, "I tawt I taw a puddy tat! ... I did! I did taw a puddy tat!" ;D

Sylvester the cat was hungry.
Tweety is a bird.
Cats Eat birds.

I hope that solves the mystery.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/05 at 5:17 pm

The Movie where Tweety goes around the world in eighty days.  I love the bit with Yosemite Sam and
Sylvester in San Francisco  ;D ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/05 at 5:22 pm

A funny story with this.  When Jake was much smaller he used to love that movie and at one point
Yosemite and Sylvester are on a cable car speeding down the hill and Yosemite is trying to tell Sylvester
how to apply the brake and he says Pull Back on the Stick You Nitwit!  So they had golfing for kids
at the local golf course so I took Jake and a guy was teeing up and taking his time so Jake said(you got it)
Pull Back on the Stick You Nitwit!  Luckily Jake was small enough for everyone to take it well, and I did explain after I stopped laughing.  It has become a classic story since.  ;D

Written By: berger on 06/25/05 at 3:54 pm

Any with Gosomer (the big red monster)  "Monsters must live interesting lives"
And any that Daffy gets shot in the face by Elmer "Hey laughin'  boy, no more buwits" ;D

Chuck Jones was great, but don't forget Bob Clampett(Clampett had a style all his own) and  I. Fritz Freling. And without the music of Carl Stalling or Milt Franklyn they wouldn't be the same.
The Looney Tunes of the mid to late  60's were horrible. And mostly due to bad Music direction

I got the first dvd set for christmas, I love it. [/color}

Written By: Skippers on 06/26/05 at 12:56 am

The Looney Tunes of the mid to late  60's were horrible. And mostly due to bad Music direction

Don't forget that many of the cartoon studios, including Warner's "Termite Terrace" drastically cut their budgets in the early-mid 60's, drastically limiting the music that could be used. It also resulted in less detailed animation & backgrounds.

Written By: woops on 06/27/05 at 11:01 pm

"Great Piggy Bank Robbery" with Daffy as 'Duck Twacy'  :D

Also "Tale of Two Kitties", which is Tweety's debut with two cat carticatures of Abbot & Costello.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/28/05 at 1:24 pm

I don't know the name of it but it's my avatar....tweety turn HUGE and chases Sylvester!! Also....

Written By: David on 06/30/05 at 11:11 pm

I dont have a looney tune charecter I like but I still like that time Daffy told Porky to go to a studio. He did that because he thought he was a better charecter. Porky got chased by the guard. The guard had a voice that youd here in abunch of looney tune cartoons.

Written By: nally on 07/01/05 at 12:57 am

Sylvester the cat was hungry.
Tweety is a bird.
Cats Eat birds.

I hope that solves the mystery.

Well...i suppose that makes sense.

Written By: Skippy on 07/03/05 at 12:07 am

Hubie & Bert(Sounded like "Boyd" in the cartoon), the two mice that were always messing with Claude the cat, the Abbot & Costello ones(They were both cats & mice). There were also some Bing Crosby & Frank Sinatra(?) ones.

Written By: nally on 07/03/05 at 12:35 am

Hubie & Bert(Sounded like "Boyd" in the cartoon), the two mice that were always messing with Claude the cat, the Abbot & Costello ones(They were both cats & mice). There were also some Bing Crosby & Frank Sinatra(?) ones.

I think I remember seeing a cartoon with those mice. They sounded just like Abbot & Costello.

Written By: Skippy on 07/04/05 at 9:56 pm

Don't remember the title, but the one with Bugs and the 2 castaways(1 short and fat, other tall and skinny).

Written By: nally on 08/25/05 at 2:14 pm

I enjoy some that have Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam trying to outduel each other. Among those is one entitled "Bunker Hill Bunny", which Sam and Bugs compete with each other in opposing forts. In the end, Sam packs gunpowder inside his pockets and leaves a trail of it in an attempt to defeat Bugs; he eventually winds up in an apple tree, which explodes. "I'm a heshin' without no aggression," he says. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Check for new replies or respond here...