inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: REMEMBER THE DAVE CLARK 5

Written By: happydays on 11/12/04 at 9:37 am

they were around a short time, but they made some good songs

Subject: Re: REMEMBER THE DAVE CLARK 5

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 11/12/04 at 11:41 am

I'm feelin'......Glad All Over...!

Yes, they did!

Written By: bj26 on 11/12/04 at 12:08 pm

The DC5 made a movie called Catch us if you can, kind of along the lines of the Beatles' Hard Days Night. I never saw either flick, but pictures from the movies showed hordes of screaming girls chasing the bands through the streets. I think they caught the DC5 and tore them apart, kind of like a horror movie, I guess :o

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 1:52 pm

The story I heard about the DC5 is that they were English football players who originally started the band so they could play gigs to raise money for their team, and they just happened to take off.

Written By: Paul on 11/12/04 at 3:33 pm

The story I heard about the DC5 is that they were English football players who originally started the band so they could play gigs to raise money for their team, and they just happened to take off.

I've never heard that story AL-B, but sounds like a good one...!

But they were footy mad - their 'local' team being Tottenham Hotspur (based in North London) and for a short while they (The DC5, that is...) were billed as 'The Tottenham Sound'...

Dave himself is a very rich man due to his shrewdness - it's fairly commonplace now, but he was the first act to licence his recordings to the record companies instead of recording for them (which means he retains control of his output) - and it's why you don't see many DC5 compilations these days...he waits until there is a demand - clever man...!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/13/04 at 8:10 am

To name but a few of their hits :

Catch Us If You Can
Do You Love Me
I Like It Like That
Over And Over
Reelin And Rockin
You've Got What It Takes

Good stuff  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/13/04 at 8:10 am

But they were footy mad - their 'local' team being Tottenham Hotspur (based in North London) and for a short while they (The DC5, that is...) were billed as 'The Tottenham Sound'...

Ah, I knew there had to be something wrong with them, muwahahaha  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 11/13/04 at 9:01 am

Dave also owns the rights to Time the Musical.  Made in the 80s - it was a futuristic rock musical starring Laurence Olivier and Cliff Richard.

Cliff fans have been petitioning for a soundtrack CD, video and dvd release for nearly 20 years - but ole Dave is hanging onto those rights very tightly !  I guess something that will be an instant sell out to devoted fans - will be worth even more money if he waits another 10 years !

Written By: Howard on 11/13/04 at 3:43 pm

http://www2.rpa.net/~theboltons/DC5pic%231.jpg

I barely remember The Dave Clark 5.My Father would most definitely remember them.Were they Doo-Wop by any chance? ???

Howard

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/13/04 at 7:40 pm

http://www2.rpa.net/~theboltons/DC5pic%231.jpg

I barely remember The Dave Clark 5.My Father would most definitely remember them.Were they Doo-Wop by any chance? ???

Howard

I wouldn't describe them that way Howard.

I would say reasonably typical "British Invasion" type sound (I really don't like that term for a number of reasons I won't go into here, but it serves the purpose) but tending very much towards a clean wholesome type sound......

Very happy, snappy, inoffensive music/lyrics  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/04 at 8:09 pm

They had a good beat and you can dance to it.  :D

Cat

Written By: mandamoo on 11/14/04 at 12:16 am

I wouldn't describe them that way Howard.

I would say reasonably typical "British Invasion" type sound (I really don't like that term for a number of reasons I won't go into here, but it serves the purpose) but tending very much towards a clean wholesome type sound......

Very happy, snappy, inoffensive music/lyrics :)

Agreed  :)

'Glad All Over' is one of my favourites, along with the ones listed previously  8)

Written By: Howard on 11/15/04 at 7:11 pm

My Father believes that The Dave Clark 5 were famous for their Doo-Wop Rock And Roll style music around 1964-1965. :)

Howard

Written By: karen on 11/16/04 at 5:19 am

Dave also owns the rights to Time the Musical.  Made in the 80s - it was a futuristic rock musical starring Laurence Olivier and Cliff Richard.

Cliff fans have been petitioning for a soundtrack CD, video and dvd release for nearly 20 years - but ole Dave is hanging onto those rights very tightly !  I guess something that will be an instant sell out to devoted fans - will be worth even more money if he waits another 10 years !

Except if he waits another ten years many Cliff fans may no longer be with us  :-\\

Written By: karen on 11/16/04 at 5:21 am

I would say reasonably typical "British Invasion" type sound ....

I think they toured the US before The Beatles

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/19/04 at 8:25 am

I think they toured the US before The Beatles

Oh yeah.  I simply meant in the mold of what, in my experience, Americans typically lump into the far-too-broad expression "British Invasion".

I was simply referring to the type/style of sound, Karen  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/25/04 at 8:32 am

I remember them well and actually saw "Catch Us if You Can."  I remember the drummer got a line
or two and no one could understand what he said because his accent was so thick.  The song
you are most likely to hear on oldies stations is "Because" y'know.."give me one kiss and I'll be
happy, just, just to be hear with you.  Give me give me the chance to be near you because, because
I love you.",  (very romantic) and "Glad All Over".  They were good. :)

Written By: AL-B on 11/26/04 at 2:01 pm

I liked the way Dave Clark would just beat the hell of his drum set on most of their songs.

Written By: Brenda on 12/13/04 at 10:47 pm

No, the story was that they FORMED the band in order for Dave to send his soccer team to Holland for a game. Some say the story was just publicity, some say it was fact, who knows?

Written By: Brenda on 12/13/04 at 10:50 pm

Actually, Dave is from Tottenham, and that's why the name "Tottenham Sound" was attributed to them, not because of the Hotspurs although I do think Dave is/was a fan of the team.

Ah, I knew there had to be something wrong with them, muwahahaha  ;D

Written By: Brenda on 12/13/04 at 10:57 pm

Come now, Dave is not difficult to understand at all IMHO. I actually found the Manchester accent of those like Peter Noone and Davy Jones more difficult.

quote author=DanootaAndMe link=topic=4704.msg181448#msg181448 date=1101393123]
I remember them well and actually saw "Catch Us if You Can."  I remember the drummer got a line
or two and no one could understand what he said because his accent was so thick.  The song
you are most likely to hear on oldies stations is "Because" y'know.."give me one kiss and I'll be
happy, just, just to be hear with you.  Give me give me the chance to be near you because, because
I love you.",   (very romantic) and "Glad All Over".  They were good. :)

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/05/05 at 3:06 pm

they were around a short time, but they made some good songs

Kicks!  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...