inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Defunct railroads

Written By: AL-B on 11/27/04 at 4:09 am

In 1970 (the year I was born), the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad (C,B & Q, or Burlington Route) merged with the Great Northern and Northern Pacific railroads to create the Burlington Northern railroad. When I was little, I remember seeing a few C B & Q locomotives tooling around before they got painted, and I always thought they had a cool paint scheme.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cbq/cbq215.jpg

Anyone else remember other railroads that are no longer around?

(A good website with tons of old railroad photos is http://www.rr-fallenflags.org )

Subject: Re: Defunct railroads

Written By: mandamoo on 11/27/04 at 5:36 am

The old Mortuary Station here in Sydney transported the dead from the city morgue to the main cemetary at Rookwood. It was built in 1889 and continued being used for the aforementioned until 1949, when it was then utilised for goods/parcel despatch up until 1994.

It's since been fully restored and is more or less a tourist attraction these days. :)

This is it now...

http://www.staterail.nsw.gov.au/Rail-estate/VOLUME3/NUMBER3/mortua.gif

Written By: Paul on 11/27/04 at 10:52 am

The old Mortuary Station here in Sydney transported the dead from the city morgue to the main cemetary at Rookwood. It was built in 1889 and continued being used for the aforementioned until 1949, when it was then utilised for goods/parcel despatch up until 1994.

Transporting the dead?

Hey, that's what my citybound train does every morning...!!

It's since been fully restored and is more or less a tourist attraction these days. :)

And a smashing piece of work it looks too, manda...

Britain had a lot of its rail network scrubbed in the 1960s, (courtesy of Dr Beeching) - mostly the extremely sleepy country branch lines which became un-economical to run...I'd like to see anyone get away with that now...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/27/04 at 1:20 pm

That's a very interesting-looking building, Manda.  Wish I could see it in person.... :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/27/04 at 1:47 pm

I don't know whether this is defuncted or not but I always liked the Chessie emblem.

http://www.thelynx.com/railscan/photos/misc/thumbs/herald-chessie.jpg

(Hmmmm, I wonder why?  ;))

What I find amazing is that our little town actually has an Amtrak stop. It really isn't a station because it doesn't even have a platform. They stop the train on a railroad crossing over a road, put out steps and people get off in the middle of the street. (We have picked up people who got off at our stop). That road isn't used much so there isn't much traffic that is inconvienced.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/27/04 at 5:06 pm

Wow,those are some very cool trains.It's too bad the red  "7" Train in NYC is going out of style soon.They were all graffitied on. :P

Howard

Written By: mandamoo on 11/28/04 at 5:48 am

Transporting the dead?

Hey, that's what my citybound train does every morning...!!

Ha ha ! I can relate to that, only difference being I'm a bus commuter !

And a smashing piece of work it looks too, manda...

Thanks Paul, it's nice to see the older buildings being restored. Lord knows, we have too few as it is  :-\\

Written By: mandamoo on 11/28/04 at 5:49 am

That's a very interesting-looking building, Manda. Wish I could see it in person.... :)

Why not come and visit, Karen ! :D 8)

Written By: zcrito on 11/28/04 at 5:57 pm

When I first saw this subject post I thought it was going to be a negative topic about (the band) Grand Funk Railroad. ::)
Apparently I was wrong.

I run a couple of times a week and it's near a rail line. I'd sometimes like to play the role of "hobo joe" and hitch a ride on one of trains as they go by, but then they'd probably only go a few miles more and I'd have to walk all the way back.

;)

(how come all the trains I see nowadays no longer have a caboose?)

http://www.shop.viator.com/graphicslib/2015/SITours/locomotive_c.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/28/04 at 8:01 pm

My newspaper said a long time ago that the MTA were gonna get rid of the red "7" cabooses and dump them in rivers and use them for underwater fish homes and plant life. :)

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 11/28/04 at 9:57 pm

(how come all the trains I see nowadays no longer have a caboose?)
I've always thought trains without cabooses were like sentences without periods. (And now BNSF sometimes puts a locomotive at the end of their trains, which makes me think the world has gone completely mad! :o)

Written By: Howard on 11/29/04 at 6:07 pm

For the people who live in NYC,Do you find the trains comfortable or not? ;D

Howard

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/29/04 at 9:55 pm

Why not come and visit, Karen ! :D 8)

I appreciate the offer, Manda, but I don't have the funds right now.  Otherwise, I'd be there in a heartbeat!  :)

Written By: karen on 11/30/04 at 11:08 am

Britain had a lot of its rail network scrubbed in the 1960s, (courtesy of Dr Beeching) - mostly the extremely sleepy country branch lines which became un-economical to run...I'd like to see anyone get away with that now...

Not sure if the Loughborough ones were cut as part of Beeching or not.  We used to have three stations here.  Now there is the Midland Mainline one still operational, one closed and one opened as a steam railway run by a bunch of enthusiasts.  The Great Central Railway often appears in films because it's the only operational double-tracked steam line.  It was in Shadowlands and 22 (?) Charing Cross Road amongst other things.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/04 at 7:09 pm

New York City,where I live the trains and railroads are constantly having construction.

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...