inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rat Patrol

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/01/04 at 8:43 am

I have a perfect recollection of watching a show called "Rat Patrol", which was a war based television series.

I can still recall the theme music, and have been lucky enough to find an mp3 of it on the net.

I remember the show was based around these 4 soldiers in two jeeps, somewhere in the desert.  In hindsight, as it was based in WW2, I assume it was Africa in which it was set ?

Each jeep had a rear mounted machine gun, and the non-driver had to stand on the back of the jeep and fire the gun when required.  In the opening sequence, the jeeps came flying over a sand dune.  I remember even at a young age being amazed at how the guys never fell off.  Onec again in hindsight, I suspect for those shots, they weren't real people !  ::) ;D

Do any of the older boardies here (or anyone for that matter) remember this show ?  I have never seen it since  :(

Subject: Re: Rat Patrol

Written By: mandamoo on 12/01/04 at 8:56 am

It does  sound familiar to me Fussy. Perhaps my brother watched it  :-\\

I will ask him  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/11/04 at 7:50 am

Bumped as this thread had a short life before the great song poll debacle of Dec 2004 relegated it to page 412  ::) :)   

I was kinda hoping someone else may have seen this show.....

Written By: Gaylon on 12/11/04 at 9:36 am

I certainly watched it.
If I remember right, Christopher George was the main star.
And one of the jeep drivers had wire-rimmed glasses and always chewed bubble gum.
I always wondered how he kept the sand out of his bubbles.

Written By: Elvis on 12/14/04 at 9:57 am

I have a perfect recollection of watching a show called "Rat Patrol", which was a war based television series.

I can still recall the theme music, and have been lucky enough to find an mp3 of it on the net.

I remember the show was based around these 4 soldiers in two jeeps, somewhere in the desert.  In hindsight, as it was based in WW2, I assume it was Africa in which it was set ?

Each jeep had a rear mounted machine gun, and the non-driver had to stand on the back of the jeep and fire the gun when required.  In the opening sequence, the jeeps came flying over a sand dune.  I remember even at a young age being amazed at how the guys never fell off.  Onec again in hindsight, I suspect for those shots, they weren't real people !  ::) ;D

Yes I remember it and i loved the opening sequence also- awesome! It was a low budget series that played off the short lived succes of Combat which starred Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. Rat Patrol was the forerunner to The A Team years later- another cheap shot series that was weak on strory and big on hype. I played Rat Patrol in my back yard as a kid, along with Batman, The Green Hornet, Bonanaza, T.H.E Cat (a spy series where we'd all go spying in windows without getting caught and reporting back what we saw- nowadays thats considered peeping Tom or stalking) We had many role playing games that stemmed from TV shows in those days. Makes you wonder what TV shows kids have nowadays to use their imaginations on- Reality TV?

Do any of the older boardies here (or anyone for that matter) remember this show ?  I have never seen it since  :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/14/04 at 3:20 pm

I remember it fondly :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/18/04 at 8:48 am

Thanks Elvis, and R&RF  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/18/04 at 8:49 am

I certainly watched it.
If I remember right, Christopher George was the main star.
And one of the jeep drivers had wire-rimmed glasses and always chewed bubble gum.
I always wondered how he kept the sand out of his bubbles.

Alright Gaylon  :D

You are correct.  And I remember the wire-rimmed glasses guy too.  Was his surname "Lawrence" or something similar ?

Written By: ralfy on 04/02/16 at 9:23 am

50th anniversary coming up

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/shows/rat-patrol-the

Check for new replies or respond here...