inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Is Worse: Harveytoons (Casper, Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Herman & Katnip)

Written By: woops on 12/03/04 at 8:33 pm

Other characters that only  appeared on the "Harvey" comics doesn't count.

Unlike Looney Tunes & MGM, these cartoons were too unfunny & annoying. Unlike Disney, they were too bland & boring.

Not to mention that most are blatant ripoffs: (Though not all were bad like Warner Bros. Daffy, which was probably based from Donald  8))

Little Audrey... based on Little Lulu

http://www.toonarific.com/pics_root//00002114/littleaudrey5.jpg

Herman & Katnip... based on Tom & Jerry

http://www.toonarific.com/pics_root//00001657/hermanandkatnip2.jpg

Baby Huey...based on Junior from the Warner Bros. 3 Bears cartoons or the bear from the MGM George & Junior  shorts

The rest...I don't know, but I think Buzzy might've been ripped off from the talking magpies  Heckyl & Jeckyl or possibly Tweety.

My choice: (Besides "All of the Above"...) Casper the whiney Ghost  :P

http://www.toonarific.com/pics_root//00000711/casperfriendlyghost2.jpg

Where's The Ghostbusters when you need 'em?  :D  ::)

Those cartoons were from "Famous Studios", though they sold the characters to Harvey Comics.

Here's some info:

http://www.toonopedia.com/famous.htm

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: Harveytoons (Casper, Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Herman & Katnip)

Written By: woops on 02/21/05 at 4:51 pm

Does anybody remember or thankfully have forgotten them?

Though I would add Van Beuren's "Tom & Jerry" & "Molly Moo Cow", but their version of "Felix the Cat" was OK. Not to mention the only Van Beuren cartoons I can tolerate.

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: Harveytoons (Casper, Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Herman & Katnip)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 7:02 pm

They all suck, especially Casper, The Annoying Ghost.  ;D

See the movie, it's better than the cartoon!

Written By: Webstor on 02/21/05 at 11:03 pm

Great Googily Moogily.....

Casper the Ghost was TERRIBLE

We used to have a local kiddy show in the early 80's here in Cleveland called "Barnaby"
and Barnaby would show all the Harvey toons.  They were awful....

I did read some of the comics though....
My brother and I read "Hot Stuff, the little devil"

Wendy the wicth was another terrible character....
Casper had a cousin named Spooky, i think, who used to wear a bowler hat....
and he was actually scary......thats what we needed.

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/29/05 at 5:23 pm

Little Audrey. Little Dot, Lulu, Nancy

They were all the same character. And they all sucked.

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: Harveytoons (Casper, Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Herman & Katn

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/30/05 at 8:48 am

Baby Huey made me hurl  :(

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/02/05 at 10:09 am

I read the Casper comics when I was a young kid, and only have fond memories of him  ;D

I think American cartoons where a novelty in the UK, loved Batman and Dracula Lives! too.

Written By: AL-B on 05/02/05 at 11:07 am

Casper (this is just wrong...)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/02/05 at 4:23 pm

Casper (this is just wrong...)

It was only as a grown person that I realised what Casper was actually meant to represent, but as a very young kid I only knew him as a friendly cartoon character who went on adventures.

but it is rather creepy thinking about the fact that some guy actually came up with the original  idea for this character.

Written By: David on 06/30/05 at 11:03 pm

I watched these cartoon charecters when I was 12 or still 11 years old. They were on Fox Family that time. I think Before that I only knew Casper & baby huey.

Written By: craviola990 on 05/29/06 at 9:01 am

Hi Guys- I know nobody here can stand Harveytoons, But I love 'em!! Anyone know where to get them on DVD? Many thanks! Christian

Written By: CeeKay on 05/30/06 at 5:47 pm

I never liked Baby Huey.  I think that was the worst character.  I have to admit that I liked the Casper cartoons when I was little.

Subject: Re: Which Is Worse: Harveytoons (Casper, Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Herman & Katn

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:45 pm

It was only as a grown person that I realised what Casper was actually meant to represent, but as a very young kid I only knew him as a friendly cartoon character who went on adventures.

but it is rather creepy thinking about the fact that some guy actually came up with the original  idea for this character.

What was Casper supposed to represent?

Btw that was a funny pic AL-B.

Written By: fishryc on 05/31/06 at 4:21 pm

What was Casper supposed to represent?

Really! I did not know otherwise than A "Friendly Ghost". Is there some forboding and evil analogy here?  Do tell........

Written By: fishryc on 05/31/06 at 4:35 pm

Interesting to me that this thread started, since, we (friends and I) were just talking about the "Cat and Mouse" cartoons that have appeared over the years!
Anyway, and not to drift off the topic of your thread, woops, but we came up with "Herman and Catnip", "Tom and Jerry", "Pixie, Dixie, and Jinx" along with the "solo" cat or "mouses" (as opposed to "mice"!!): "Topcat", "Felix", Warner Brothers' "Kansas City Kitty", "Mighty Mouse" (we all hated this cheesy one...."Here I come to save the daaaaay"..........  please!), WB's "Sylvester", and THATS IT!. There must be more, but we must be braindead!

Help us woops!  (Again, sorry if I shifted the topic, but replies seem to have slowed)

Check for new replies or respond here...