inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cartoon Battle: Disney vs, Warner Bros.

Written By: woops on 12/20/04 at 4:10 pm

Hands down, Warner Bros. Especially many great characters (Bugs, Daffy, Tweety, Wile E Coyote, etc) & directors (Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, Robert McKimson, etc).  8)

And other studios like Fleischer, MGM, Lantz, and Disney also had some great cartoons...  :)

Subject: Re: Cartoon Battle: Disney vs, Warner Bros.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/20/04 at 4:18 pm

Warner Bros.

Written By: gord on 12/20/04 at 4:22 pm

Warner Bros. here too :)

Written By: Howard on 12/20/04 at 6:57 pm

Warner Brothers

Howard

Written By: nally on 12/20/04 at 10:28 pm

For me it's a toss up; I love 'em both. So I chose "both." :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/20/04 at 11:02 pm

I chose both.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/21/04 at 4:12 pm

I chose both.

Tanya

Yeah,I would have to agree Tanya. :)

Howard

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/22/04 at 6:21 am

Warner Bros. (Looney Tunes)

Written By: Chrisrj on 01/07/05 at 6:15 am

I also chose both.

Written By: gumbypiz on 09/08/07 at 4:05 am

I say neither.
I guess it depends on the era you are speaking of, the distinction of funny/comedy vs. art and beauty being the critical point.

In general, for overall comedy, outrageousness, creativity and silliness, MGM is hands over fist the best.

Why?

The series of toons featuring Droopy, Tom & Jerry, Screwy Squirrel, and Red Riding Hood 'toons from the late 40's to mid/late 50's, specifically Tex Avery directed these toons at MGM. The quality of the cartoons, the drawings, the direction, and set-up, overall they are better in execution and are more concise throughout the era than Disney or WB.

For overall beauty and smoothness, Disney gets the nod. Though lacking in pure comedic genius or "fun".

Warner Bros, for me is a happy and fun medium (keeping mind a lot of WB characters were Avery's creations and developed into WB icons). While neither as outrageous as MGM toons, and not as pretty as Disney shorts. MGM shorts were the most popular (among ADULTS) considering the subject matter, WB's toons borrowing a bit from both from MGM and Disney.

WB toons were just so much more prolific. Don't misunderstand, Chuck Jones, Bob Clampett and others made some stellar work. Its just that WB made so much MORE product that it will probably stand out more just on the volume that was produced. More product, more viability. Its obvious that the general public knows Bugs Bunny,Elmer Fudd, or Daffy Duck and not too many know of Droopy, Screwy Squirrel or Red Hot Riding Hood. But that doesn't mean those toons weren't better cartoons than the more well known WB shorts at the time.

AKA, volume, does not equal quality.

Written By: haleym8826 on 09/08/07 at 7:31 pm

well i voted disney. the poor guys didn't have any votes. but I honestly thin they are both very good.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/08/07 at 7:38 pm

i have never liked Warner Bro's cartoons.

i love Disney's though, especially the ones from the 20's-50's.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 11:08 pm

WB for me.  The Disney cartoons (though they were good too) got better over the years

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/18/07 at 5:21 pm

I chose both, although I really adore Disney's animation and the adorable characters. Some people tend to forget some shorts made by the Disney studio, which I find very amusing - ones with Goofy driving like a mad man, one about how music was invented or the first man made wheel. I guess the correct term for many Disney cartoons is "educational" They may have not been as hip as WB or as clever as MGM, but they were educational and stunning to look at. Good 'ol Jiminy Cricket could teach you a few lessons. I really enjoyed those as a kid.

Written By: Banks on 09/22/07 at 8:09 pm

I chose WB over Disney...WB were definately more culturally relevent and more enjoyable to watch, though I do love the Goofy cartoons and the Donald Duck toons.

However...Had I realised it was there I wouldve picked neither...

I much prefer the style of the Fleischer cartoons. The Superman cartoons are amazing,so are the Popeye, Betty Boop and Sinbad cartoons. The full length feature Gulliver's Travels is beautifully made and the story was extremely well presented...Oh and I cant forget my absolute favourite animated peice/film...Hoppity Goes To Town (originally known as Mr.Bug Goes To Town). This, from memory, was the first full length animated film to be created based upon an original story and not from a fairy tale or older story. It is beautifully made and has a fantastic story for all ages...Add to that that its way ahead of its time in terms of the message its trying to convey.

Anyway...I definately chose the Fleischer animations...I dont think any studio has ever produced such amazing works of art as the Fleischer studios...That is until the later Disney productions of the late 1980's and 1990's.

AN

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/01/07 at 3:01 am

For me, it's Warner Brothers.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/01/07 at 10:03 pm

The only Disney character worth seeing is Donald Duck so...Warner Brothers!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 04/10/08 at 9:09 am

I chose Warner Brothers (Looney Tunes) hands down!!!  I mean, come on, Bugs Bunny?  That's the rabbit!!!! Disney ain't got nothing on Looney Tunes, I'm sorry.  Mickey Mouse can't touch Bugs!!!!  I grew up on Looney Tunes more than Disney.  The only Disney character I liked was Donald Duck, but other than that, BUGS BUNNY ALL THE WAY BABY WITH HIS FINE SELF!!!!!!

Written By: KKay on 04/10/08 at 9:58 am

Warner Brothers.

disney made ground-breaking films but for my entertainment dollar, i have never enjoyed anything from disney studios except Bedknobs and Broomsticks.
I say avoid it and let's get disney out of times square too!!!  booooooo!!!

enough of my soap-boxing.

come on. not since Spin and Marty was disney fun.
not since little Kurt russel on horseback.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/14/08 at 10:19 pm

I chose both, although I really adore Disney's animation and the adorable characters. Some people tend to forget some shorts made by the Disney studio, which I find very amusing - ones with Goofy driving like a mad man, one about how music was invented or the first man made wheel. I guess the correct term for many Disney cartoons is "educational" They may have not been as hip as WB or as clever as MGM, but they were educational and stunning to look at. Good 'ol Jiminy Cricket could teach you a few lessons. I really enjoyed those as a kid.

Gotta be Warner Brothers for me -- although I do appreciate Goofy's cartoon on road rage.  That one was required viewing when I was in Driver's Ed, and it oughta be required viewing for everyone upon license renewal.  Probably my favorite Disney toon of all time, precisely because it's so off-the-wall violent and yet so bitingly accurate a depiction of the human condition.

But as for educational... naw, it's Warner Brothers all the way.

Firearms/explosives/fire safety:  Learn from the mistakes of Elmer, Yosemite, Bugs, Daffy... and just about every WB character who ever looked down the barrel of a gun or cannon when "it was unloaded" or "I pulled the trigger but it didn't go off".  When you light the fuse, Mr. Dynamite (or Mr. Firecracker) is no longer your friend.

Sexual harassment:  Watch Pepe Le Pew.  Don't be him.

Engineering:  Wile E. Coyote's your man.  No design ever works quite like the way you thought it would.  And for every contingency and failure mode you can imagine, the world will throw something your way that you didn't plan for.  Until you do a root cause analysis, you're wasting your time.  (Remember the catapult that broke every law of physics to squish him?  Maybe the problem was the little tag on it that said "Made by Road Runner Mfg. Corp.")

Worldview:  Bugs Bunny is harmless until someone interferes with him, after which, "of course, you realize this means war".  He never starts a fight.  But he always ends it.  And since he's outmanned, outgunned, and outnumbered, he ends it by outsmarting his opponents.

Written By: Davester on 04/15/08 at 4:41 am

Nice break down ^

Warner Bros.  I don't know squat about Disney (have never even been to Disneyland) but have friends who consider everything Disney above reproach...

Written By: woops on 04/15/08 at 7:29 pm

DVDs=

Disney for having them in choronological order and having the guts of having Un PC cartoons (though a certain movie is still banned, go figure). Though limited release.

Warner Bros. "Golden Collections" have very informative documentries and bonus features

tie  8)

Written By: wildcard on 04/16/08 at 12:25 am

I watched both but loved Goofy as a kid.  I'd have to say WB now because Disney has changed so much. 

Written By: midnite on 04/30/08 at 10:27 pm

Mickey, Donald, and Goofy were not very cool.  Looney Tunes were cool.

Written By: wildcard on 04/30/08 at 11:26 pm

Well I liked the old goofball goofy cartoons  because I'm a goofball.  I like the funny greedy duck far more then the bad tempered treat your nephews nasty one.  The bunny is a star compared to the mouse. 

Written By: Dagwood on 05/02/08 at 8:02 pm

Definitely Warner Brothers.  Bugs Bunny rocks.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/03/08 at 2:42 am

Disney had some great cartoons back in the day, but I would have to go with Warner Bros.

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/15/08 at 2:20 am

WB Plain & Simple,,,,,,,Disney was never funny Just artsy.....Odd no mention of "Barney Bear!
He was getting destroyed long before the Coyote ever was & I think it was an inspiration for the "Termite Shack"gang!

One of My Favorites
Robot Rabbit (1953 I.Freleng)
http://www.zshare.net/video/12050121c8ceddfc/
It was said Disney dealt with adult fears.Well I'm afraid I don't know what Goofy was supposed to be?
Mickey Mouse's lawyer says "you can't divorce your wife on the grounds shes crazy"
Mickey says "Crazy?...I said she was F%*&ing GOOFY!"  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...