inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 60's TV Rock Shows Shindig and Hullaballoo...any memories on them?

Written By: hot_wax on 12/27/04 at 9:16 pm

In the mid 60's these two weekly Rock shows had the top groups from the all over the world play or sing their hit songs live. I took for granted what these shows did then and know now that they can never do shows like that again because of the costs and now only have vague memories of them.

Spoiled by so many top groups that were on these shows, that I also took for granted what groups were on and only can remember a few groups now...I witnessed then the unknown " The Righteous Brothers" sing for the first time "You lost that Loving Feeling" and their version of "Unchained Melody" live, I remember "The Four Seasons" singing, and then a new group called " The Supremes" I remember, and so many more that where sort of unknowns then but became household names because of this show. All the the English groups...even the "The Rolling Stones" were on singing live their new "Time is on my Side" hit while the Shindig GO GO Girls danced in their little cages in the background.

Can anyone add any info on anything to do with these shows? I want to be reminded of the history I witnessed and took for granted.

Hot Wax

Subject: Re: The 60's TV Rock Shows Shindig and Hullaballoo...any memories on them?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/27/04 at 10:37 pm

Though I was born in 1976, I thoroughly enjoyed watching clips of Shindig and Hullabuloo (sp?). It had to be amazing to come home from school to watch these shows.

Tanya

Subject: Re: The 60's TV Rock Shows Shindig and Hullaballoo...any memories on them?

Written By: hot_wax on 12/28/04 at 8:39 pm

Though I was born in 1976, I thoroughly enjoyed watching clips of Shindig and Hullabuloo (sp?). It had to be amazing to come home from school to watch these shows.

Tanya

Hi Tanya, good to hear from you, and you gave me an idea! I'm going to search the web and see if come up with these clips. Thanks!

PS...your one year older than my daughter and she is the youngest of my three kids...I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SITE!

Written By: woops on 12/28/04 at 9:06 pm

"Hullabaloo" is available  on DVD.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/01/05 at 9:12 pm

"Hullabaloo" is available  on DVD.

Thanks Woops! I'll look into it.

Hot Wax

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/02/05 at 1:28 pm

Hi Tanya, good to hear from you, and you gave me an idea! I'm going to search the web and see if come up with these clips. Thanks!

PS...your one year older than my daughter and she is the youngest of my three kids...I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SITE!

Ha! You're never too old!

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 01/02/05 at 6:10 pm

Hot Wax,you're never too old for this site.You'll feel like family once you get adjusted. ;D

Howard

Written By: hot_wax on 01/02/05 at 11:22 pm

Hot Wax,you're never too old for this site.You'll feel like family once you get adjusted. ;D

Howard

Thanks Howard, I really do enjoy this site and everyone in the colony. Maybe there is a few more members out there who are old enough to remember getting interested in music by listening their moms favorite radio show, Martin Blocks "Make Believe Ballroom" in the early 50's with great hits like...are you ready for this?... "The Theme from Moulin Rouge" or "I Found my April Dreams in Portugal Last Night" and how about this toe tapper! "The Shrimp Boats are Coming". But for real, my favorite song at that time, the one that got me interested playing the drums, was a song with a boogie woogie sound called "The Blacksmith Blues", I'd hit pots and pans with wooden spoons to it's beat, if anyone remembers it they would say it would sell a million copies if it was re-made today.

Thank God for Bill Haley and His Comets "Shake Rattle and Roll" setting the foundation for the Rock n' Roll sound and Alan Freed to spearhead it's cultural movement. Who knows what we would be listen to today if there was no Rock n' Roll.

Howard, maybe it's a good thing to be an older member, you young whipper snappers can "pick our brains" for some first hand information and maybe pass on memories and experiences to some of these topics that are posted and hope not to bore you all to death with them.

Thanks again for that word of encouragement, I really appreciate your kind words. Talk to you soon.

Hot Wax

Written By: bj26 on 01/03/05 at 6:50 am

Hullaballoo - I remember the Byrds did Mr. Tamborine Man and Feel a whole lot better - they sounded great. The Beatles did We can work it out, great. The Association did Wendy, Barry Mcguire did Eve of destruction. The Romans did Universal soldier, and finally this Brit group, the Hullaballoos did I'm gonna love you too.

Shindig - I remember the Who, Freddie & the Dreamers, and there were several regulars like Bobby Sherman.

One of the shows had a bit where the go go dancers were in cages and did a lot of shaking.

Written By: Paul on 01/03/05 at 7:02 am

"The Theme from Moulin Rouge" or "I Found my April Dreams in Portugal Last Night" and how about this toe tapper! "The Shrimp Boats are Coming". But for real, my favorite song at that time, the one that got me interested playing the drums, was a song with a boogie woogie sound called "The Blacksmith Blues", I'd hit pots and pans with wooden spoons to it's beat, if anyone remembers it they would say it would sell a million copies if it was re-made today.

I'm not from that era (early 50s), but I do have and very much enjoy those 'innocent' songs and the grandiose ballads from that time - fascinating when you hold 'em up alongside...

Thank God for Bill Haley and His Comets "Shake Rattle and Roll" setting the foundation for the Rock n' Roll sound and Alan Freed to spearhead it's cultural movement. Who knows what we would be listen to today if there was no Rock n' Roll.

...which must have been a revelation when first heard...! It still sounds great today - I can only imagine what it must've sounded like in 1954...

Anyway, 'Shindig' & 'Hullabaloo' were never aired in the UK - the closest we got to this style of programming in the 60s was probably 'Ready Steady Go' which, although a bit of footage remains, most of the archive was wiped or junked...crazy...!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/04/05 at 9:17 pm

I'm not from that era (early 50s), but I do have and very much enjoy those 'innocent' songs and the grandiose ballads from that time - fascinating when you hold 'em up alongside...

...which must have been a revelation when first heard...! It still sounds great today - I can only imagine what it must've sounded like in 1954...

Anyway, 'Shindig' & 'Hullabaloo' were never aired in the UK - the closest we got to this style of programming in the 60s was probably 'Ready Steady Go' which, although a bit of footage remains, most of the archive was wiped or junked...crazy...!

Hi Paul, yes the music was nice back then but it didn't have it's own identity, which is the direct reason why Rock 'n Roll is here today. "Ready Steady Go" sounds familiar, I think it aired here for awhile but not for long.

I went to Google and got more information than I ever expected on these two 60's shows and it brought back tons of memories. I should have known about it before I posted the question  but I Thank those again for suggesting the web. Google is unbelievable for information...check out "Ready Steady Go" see what you come up with.

Good talking to you, we'll do it again soon!

Hot Wax   

Written By: ehrjr on 01/19/05 at 10:10 pm

I remember the late great Jackie Wilson, appearing on one of these shows a few times. Good Lord,that man could sing and his dancing had to be seen to be believed.

Check for new replies or respond here...