inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Twilight Zone

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/06/05 at 8:13 am

Is anybody a fan of the original Twilight Zone series hosted by Rod Serling?  Any particular episodes stand out for you?

One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes was the one where Burgess Meredith played this guy who just wanted a little time to read, but he had to cope with a nagging wife and a demanding boss - he finally hides in this bank vault, which leaves him the lone survivor when the world blows up.  Now he finally has time to read his books, but in a cruel twist, he breaks his glasses.

Subject: Re: The Twilight Zone

Written By: bj26 on 01/06/05 at 11:36 am

This was one of my favorite episodes:  The Chaser

" Mr. Roger Shackleforth. Age: youthful twenties. Occupation: being in love. Not just in love, but madly, passionately, illogically, miserably, all comsumingly in love, with a young woman named Leila who has a vague recollection of his face and even less than a passing interest. In a moment you'll see a switch, because Mr. Roger Shackleforth, the young gentleman so much in love, will take a short but meaningful journey into The Twilight Zone."

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 01/06/05 at 7:36 pm

I don't know, if I was a fan or not, but the episode "Will the Real Martiian Please Stand Up?," scared me so bad, the first time I saw it, it put me off of watching "The Twilight Zone" for years.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/06/05 at 7:55 pm

Rod Serling and the original show rocks!

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Love the opening narrations and theme song!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/08/05 at 11:17 am

The original show was so cool!

My fave is the one where Burgess Meredith loves books and he never has the time to read them. Finally, there's a nuclear holocaust and he gets the opportunity to read as much as he desires. However, he breaks his glasses and is totally screwed. I felt so bad for him.

Tanya

Written By: hot_wax on 01/09/05 at 12:12 am

A book from Martians on how "To Serve Man", asking humans to come to Mars in their space ship so they can serve them, but not to be a slave for them but a cook book on how "To Serve Man" as their food!! WOW!

And even today, every time I'm in an airplane I look out window toward the wing and see if there is any creatures on it trying to rip the wing apart at 30,000 feet!... Yes I do!!

Hot Wax

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/05 at 8:02 am

"There's a monster outside of the plane.... and it's trying to kill us!" But of course, no one belives him!  ;D That was a creepy episode.

Written By: gemini61 on 01/09/05 at 5:48 pm

Oh, I love the originals with Rod Serling. I love the one where the couple wakes up from a little too much drinking the night before.  They realize the town is made of fake grass and trees and so on.  And they keep hearing a girl laughing.  Then finally cuts to the little girl who was not so little, playing with her dollhouse and they are the people that live in the dollhouse.  Pretty cool!  :)

Written By: kairi747 on 01/09/05 at 7:11 pm

Yes, yes, yes!!!  I LOVE the Twilight Zone!  Every time I think of an episode I say, "That's my favorite!"  I guess my very favorites are :  The Living Doll - "My name is Talkie Tina and I'm going to kill you."  Ninety Years Without Slumbering - where the elderly man feels a special attachment to the grandfather clock and believes that when the clock stops so will he.  A Stop At Willoughby - a man fed up with his job falls asleep on the train ride home and dreams of a place called Willoughby - an old-time town, peaceful, etc  After a few 'dreams,' he decides the nest time he'll get off.  He gets off and is welcomed to Willoughby.  Cut to the snowy cold where the train has stopped and the man's dead body lies where he jumped off the train.  The hearse door closes and reads "Willoughby Funeral Home."  I could go on and on.  What a great series!! 

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/10/05 at 7:29 am

"There's a monster outside of the plane.... and it's trying to kill us!" But of course, no one belives him!  ;D That was a creepy episode.

Is that the one William Shatner was in?

Written By: bj26 on 01/10/05 at 11:17 am

The original show was so cool!

My fave is the one where Burgess Meredith loves books and he never has the time to read them. Finally, there's a nuclear holocaust and he gets the opportunity to read as much as he desires. However, he breaks his glasses and is totally screwed. I felt so bad for him.

Tanya
" Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in a moment Mr.Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself-without anyone". The best laid plans of mice and men-and Henry Bemis, the small man in the glasses who wanted nothing but time. Henry Bemis, now a part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of rubble, just a fragment of what man has deemed to himself. Mr.Henry Bemis....in The Twilight Zone".

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/10/05 at 11:51 am

^Ooh, where'd you get that?

Tanya

Written By: bj26 on 01/10/05 at 12:48 pm

^Ooh, where'd you get that?

Tanya
  Henry Bemis, ( Burgess Meredith ) is a bank teller with a passion for reading, any chance he gets, he will read, unfortunately his wife and boss don't share his passion. During his lunch break he slips into the vault for a sly read, at this point a huge shockwave knocks him out, upon awakening he finds a world ravaged by a nuclear war and he's the last man alive. Unable to cope with this, he contemplates suicide, but by chance he spots the remains of a library, and his joy returns. As he piles up the books for his reading ahead, he bends down and his glasses fall of his nose and breaks, confining him to a short sighted world. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/10/05 at 11:19 pm

^I've seen the episode many, many times. It's my favorite one. I was asking where did you get the dialogue word for word.

Tanya

Written By: schmartypantz on 01/11/05 at 12:29 am

the one with Agnes Morehead finding a little space guy in her house.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/11/05 at 7:26 am

Another great episode is the one where Billy Mumy plays this psychotic little brat who makes adults tow the line and they have to say to him, "That's good that you did that", when he does something horrible.  If anyone disagreed with him in some way, they met a terrible fate (for example, when that guy wanted to play his record at the party and the kid wouldn't let him, the man lost his teimper and so Mumy's character turned him into a jack-in-the box or something like that).

Written By: bj26 on 01/11/05 at 12:16 pm

^I've seen the episode many, many times. It's my favorite one. I was asking where did you get the dialogue word for word.

Tanya
http://users.metronet.co.uk/cultv/tzoneseas1.htm

Written By: Vitz on 01/12/05 at 7:03 pm

Did you ever notice how every single Twilight Zone episode can be summarized in one sentence, usually under about 20 words.
I can just picture Serling sitting there, coming up with those little sentence-stories, and then figuring out a way to stretch them to fill a 20 minute slot. I'd say his greatest skill was the whole 'adding dialogue' thing; I mean really, any of us can come up with a weird story with a twist, but it all boils down to lengthening it without making it boring.

Written By: kairi747 on 01/12/05 at 7:21 pm

actually, many of them WERE boring!  ;)

Written By: Hot Wax on 01/12/05 at 10:00 pm

Is that the one William Shatner was in?

Yes, but it wasn't the Enterprize and he wasn't the Captain of that airplane otherwise he'd have  Scotty beam him down!

Hot Wax

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/05 at 1:07 pm

the one with Agnes Morehead finding a little space guy in her house.

That was a really good one. I also like the one about the electric grandmother, the one where the woman is driving across country and is followed by a hickhicker, and the one where 5 people were in this round room-all dressed in different costumes. I don't want to say what happens in case some haven't seen that one before-I don't want to spoil it for them. There were so many good ones. Just when I think I have seen all of them before, I see one that I don't remember.

Cat

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/13/05 at 1:11 pm

Early in his career, Robert Redford did a Twilight Zone episode where he played a grim reaper type who tries to help an elderly lady face her impending death -  I remember seeing that one a few years back.

Another one of my favorites is where this couple are trying to escape from their small town - they board a train only to find themselves right back where they started.  In the end it turns out the town is part of a little girl's miniature playset.

Written By: lorac614 on 01/13/05 at 2:03 pm

I don't know the title but it's about a woman who lives in an apartment house and every day the sun is getting hotter and hotter.  There is not much food or water and everyone is sweating (I found it difficult to watch, I almost could breathe thinking about the heat!  LOL!).  Suddenly the woman wakes up, her fever has broken and the sun is not getting hotter, actually there isn't a sun anymore and it's always dark and freezing and snowing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/05 at 8:45 pm

I don't know the title but it's about a woman who lives in an apartment house and every day the sun is getting hotter and hotter.  There is not much food or water and everyone is sweating (I found it difficult to watch, I almost could breathe thinking about the heat!  LOL!).  Suddenly the woman wakes up, her fever has broken and the sun is not getting hotter, actually there isn't a sun anymore and it's always dark and freezing and snowing.

That one was freaky. In her dream, the Earth was moving closer and closer to the Sun and when she woke up, the Earth was moving farther and farther away from it.

Cat

Written By: lorac614 on 01/15/05 at 4:14 pm

That one was freaky. In her dream, the Earth was moving closer and closer to the Sun and when she woke up, the Earth was moving farther and farther away from it.

Cat

Is that what was happening, I guess I was so close to hyperventilating thinking about the heat that I really get the entire plot, LOL!!

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/18/05 at 3:27 pm

One of the first episodes that I evr saw is also one of my favorites.  In "Penny for your Thoughts" Dick York plays a banker that can hear other people's thoughts after landing a quarter on its edge after throwing it into a change box.

I also like "Nick of Time" with William Shatner as a man obsessed with a fortune telling machine in a coffee shop.

I can't remember an epsiode I didn't enjoy.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/18/05 at 3:32 pm

I just remembered another great episode that featured this elderly guy who initially lectures his wife about the evils of gambling, then meets up with this slot machine that gets him so hooked.  He keeps losing on it and it literally drives him crazy.

Written By: brian5225 on 04/20/05 at 2:12 pm

i hate the fact that they are trying to remake the original series. i think that it is impossible to do. but my favorite original episode is when two theives (a wife and husband) get a poloroid camera that tells the future 5 minutes from then, so they make money from horse races. but in the end, all of them end up getting pictures of them dead, and the fall out a window

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/20/05 at 2:16 pm

i hate the fact that they are trying to remake the original series. i think that it is impossible to do. but my favorite original episode is when two theives (a wife and husband) get a poloroid camera that tells the future 5 minutes from then, so they make money from horse races. but in the end, all of them end up getting pictures of them dead, and the fall out a window

WHAAAAAA  there's another fantastic series I loved to watch. It's crap when they stop showing them over here,
I watched them religiously every week. (Memories of huge desert scenes and odd people in fantastic big old American cars)

Check for new replies or respond here...