inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mickey Mouse Club (The orginal and other incarnations)

Written By: woops on 01/11/05 at 7:23 pm

I've seen the orignal version & the '90's incarnation on The Disney Channel in the mid 1990's. Personally, I thought both were cheesy, annoying, and the fact the '90's incarnation spawned Britney, Christina, Justin, and Keri Russel of "Felicity".  :P

I've read that there was another version of MMC in the '70's. Was there any future celebs or was different/similar to the other two incarnations.

The orignal "Mickey Mouse Club": A typical 50's kids' show with serials (Spin & Marty, Annette), Disney cartoons, newsreels (weren't newsreels  a bit outdated for 1955?), and songs (Popular music of that time was considered taboo for kids' tv), and sketches. I think it spawned the career of Annette Funicello (sp?) who later appeared on a couple of '60's beach films with Frankie Avalon.

The first 5 episodes are now availible on DVD. ("Walt Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse Club")

New Mickey Mouse Club ("MMC"): More simialr to "Kids Incorperated" with it's own batch of serials (I remember a "Saved by the Bell" knock off 'Emerald Cove', which was far worse compared to 'Spin & Marty'), games, celebrities, songs...bland origingals & chopped up versions of  popular songs from artists of the time like Paula Abdul & Color Me Badd, and dumb sketches that looked as if they were rejected from some Nickelodeon shows like "All That" (1994 to ?), and the traditional "M-I-C-K-E-Y-" ending. No offense to fans of any version of the classic kids' show. 

Subject: Re: Mickey Mouse Club (The orginal and other incarnations)

Written By: kairi747 on 01/11/05 at 7:34 pm

Yes, there was one in the 70's - i'd say late 70's.  the only two i remember from it were lisa welchel, who played blair on facts of life and also the girl who played julie on the facts of life the first really bad season of it (when molly ringwald was on it, too).  don't remember much about it except for the lyrics for surprise day which frequently and unfortunately get stuck in my head!

Written By: Howard on 01/12/05 at 3:35 pm

What year did Brittney Spears appear on it?(Mickey Mouse Club) ???

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/13/05 at 1:11 pm

I have to say the original because, well, it was the original.  :D  FYI, Cubby played drums for the Carpenters-for those of you who remember Cubby or the Carpenters for that matter.

Cat

Written By: saver on 01/14/05 at 4:29 pm

For real trivial fans on the 70's incarnation of MMC, the little blond girl Mindy was...TADA!!...
THE SISTER OF COREY FELDMAN!

WHOA!!!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/16/05 at 12:58 am

I have to say the original because, well, it was the original.  :D  FYI, Cubby played drums for the Carpenters-for those of you who remember Cubby or the Carpenters for that matter.

Cat

Hey Cat! you do go back awhile, that's good, I have company in the "Olden Days" of the fifties. I remember watching the very first show but have vague memories of it. It went the air in the New York area at 5:00 PM and I know I was memesmerized with all that went on in that hour show but what is vivid in my memories was Annette, it was love at first sight. She had a curly hair, beautiful face with a tight short sleeve shirt exhibiting a set of boobs to die for! and I was very jealous her dance partner Bobby, (I think went to dance on the Lawrence Welk show later on) Roy was a cool fat man but reminded me of one of the 7 dwarfs Fatso Blimpbo Fido one of the midgets but a large size one. Cubby was an inspiration for me to play the drums seriously, I think his whole family played the drums also and were featured a few times in the show all playing the drums together. Sharon thought she was real cool but not! I can't remember Cubby's partners name I think it was Karen, they were nice together. I can't remember the rest of their names...maybe you can?

The Adventures of Spin and Marty with Moochie were good stories, but do you remember"Gold Dablooms and Pieces of Eight"? when Pirates hid English gold coins in an old railroad water tower out West and they found the coins in the wall...that story plot was a little far fetched.

The host Jimmy always closed the show with words of wisdom that we believed in and played guitar to the closing song... "Now it's time to say good bye to all our family...M I C...see you real soon!...K E Y...Why? because we like you!... M O U S E

I can go on and on but "now it's time to say good bye to...YOU!"

Hot Wax

Written By: Howard on 01/16/05 at 6:53 pm

For real trivial fans on the 70's incarnation of MMC, the little blond girl Mindy was...TADA!!...
THE SISTER OF COREY FELDMAN!

WHOA!!!

Saver,What was the name of Corey Feldman's sister? ???

Howard

Written By: Southern Image on 09/29/05 at 1:34 pm

Mickey Mouse Club" (oringinal (1955 to 1959) 8)

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/29/05 at 3:44 pm

Mickey Mouse Club" (oringinal (1955 to 1959)

Written By: woops on 11/15/08 at 11:04 pm

Recently bought the "Mickey Mouse Club Presents Annette" DVD and it's actually quite entertaining with it's 50's camp value. Plus, it's better than the majority of the junk on the mouse network.

Honestly, I did watch the original MMC time to time  in "Vault Disney" in the 1990's/early 2000s.  Some of the serials were OK and mostly watched for the cartoons that would show time to time, though don't remember much...

Written By: hot_wax on 11/16/08 at 9:50 pm

Recently bought the "Mickey Mouse Club Presents Annette" DVD and it's actually quite entertaining with it's 50's camp value. Plus, it's better than the majority of the junk on the mouse network.

Honestly, I did watch the original MMC time to time  in "Vault Disney" in the 1990's/early 2000s.  Some of the serials were OK and mostly watched for the cartoons that would show time to time, though don't remember much...

Hi Woops, I help babysit my 2 grandaughters on Tuesdays, oldest 3 1/2 and a 9 month, well the oldest is now at the stage where she likes the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the Kids cabel channel. It's all animated and done very well, the episodes are about 25 minutes long and geared for pre-schoolers but I find them very entertaining also, I got to know them all by now, she watches the same ones over and over, Goofy's Hat, Goofy in Training, Mickey's Roundup, Daisy's Picnic, Clarabell's something, they teach the kids a little about numbers and words but mainly showing how to solve problems of the story's situation. What surprise's me is how the 9 month old loves to watch them also.

It's not like the original Mickey Mouse Club when I was a kid, but in today's cartoon Mickey's Club House Disney uses the same formular as the original knowing what kids like and giving it to them in their classic style. I'm looking forward to this Tuesday, there's a new episode I hope she desides to watch, I'm all Goofy's Hat out by now and looking for something new to watch...but she's the boss and what she want's Pop Corn give's.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/19/08 at 12:13 pm

Saver,What was the name of Corey Feldman's sister? ???

Howard

Mindy :)

Check for new replies or respond here...