inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Close To You song

Written By: acshore86 on 01/16/05 at 9:54 pm

Back in 1964, Dusty hit an impressive No.3 on the UK charts with 'I Just Don't Know What To Do with Myself.' Soon, she was prepairing a follow-up to her hit, and that same year, she layed down vocals for '(They Long To Be) Close To You'. However, due to complications with her distributors, it was not released as a single - preventing it from charting - but eventually was issued three years later on her 1967 album Where Am I Going?, with the original instrumental intro cut from its final release.

In 1965 Dionne Warwick tried recording the song, but it was a complete failure, that is until in 1970, when The Carpenters recorded it; charting to No.1.

It was only until recently that the original unedited mix was first released to the public, on Dusty's 2-CD compilation Classics & Collectibles.

Subject: Re: Close To You song

Written By: micah on 01/17/05 at 4:33 pm

Interesting! I've always thought The Carpenters were the first group to do It. I've always liked It, but never knew It was such an old song and brought out by other people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/05 at 4:39 pm

The songwriters Hal David and Burt Bacharach wrote songs for numerous amount of people and I can understand how this song could have thrown around, but this has intrigue me and now wish to acquire a copy of Dusty Springfield's version of "(They Long To Be) Close To You".

Written By: saver on 01/18/05 at 6:30 pm

I watched the Carpenters tribute and Paul Williams wrote the song Close to you apperently for a bank commercial..or he wrote words for the tune..not sure how Dusty had it before? or what Bachurach(?) had to do with that one?? 

Written By: zcrito on 01/20/05 at 12:12 am

I watched the Carpenters tribute and Paul Williams wrote the song Close to you apperently for a bank commercial..or he wrote words for the tune..not sure how Dusty had it before? or what Bachurach(?) had to do with that one??   

You're thinking of the Paul Williams bank commercial song "We've Only Just Begun".

Written By: saver on 01/20/05 at 3:42 pm

Good catch!
Must've really been out of it when the show came on!

S.

Written By: zcrito on 01/20/05 at 10:22 pm

Good catch!
Must've really been out of it when the show came on!

S.

No problem, but consider yourself OUT of the Carpenters fan club. Sorry.
;)

Written By: saver on 01/21/05 at 2:14 pm

Awww, darn and I thought I knew Carpenters stuff...like....: Did you know Karen weighed 80 lbs. when she died..that was WITH the drums! :o

:D

Written By: Howard on 01/21/05 at 2:23 pm

Awww, darn and I thought I knew Carpenters stuff...like....: Did you know Karen weighed 80 lbs. when she died..that was WITH the drums! :o

:D

She died in 1983.

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...