inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bobby Goldsboro/John Denver

Written By: saver on 01/24/05 at 5:16 pm

Anyone else find the two similar??
Then again both are gone I believe? :-[

Subject: Re: Bobby Goldsboro/John Denver

Written By: Paul on 01/24/05 at 5:22 pm

I don't think Bobby Goldsboro has died...certainly not when I last looked...

I could quite easily sharpen the knife on 'Honey', but that'd be unfair as he did do some other passable stuff, but ironically 'Honey' is what he's mainly remembered for...

Denver was a bit more durable - but parallels can certainly be drawn with the two with their winsome little songs...

The closest Britain got was with a guy called Clifford T. Ward - done some very lovely work, but he's sadly no longer with us...

Written By: Howard on 01/24/05 at 5:47 pm

John Denver died in a plane crash. :(

Howard

Written By: ehrjr on 01/25/05 at 8:13 pm

Listen to Roy Orbisons' great hit "Only the  Lonely" and you'll hear Bobby Goldsboro playing guitar and singing "Dum Dum Be Dum,etc.-he did the lead-in and is in the backround of the song. You'll recognize his voice when you hear it. He was with Roy a long time. 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/26/05 at 10:34 am

John Denver, IMO, was among the greatest songwriters of all time. Bobby also wrote some good stuff but I think he pales in comparison to John. Bobby is still alive BTW....here's a link! 

http://www.bobbygoldsboro.com/

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/26/05 at 11:25 am

Bobby Goldsboro was fun when i was little..even saw him in concert at an exhibition  8)..however,he doesn't come close in comparison to John Denver.Loved John's music then,still listen to it now(kinda like Barry... :D)

Written By: kairi747 on 01/26/05 at 11:32 am

I could quite easily sharpen the knife on 'Honey', but that'd be unfair as he did do some other passable stuff, but ironically 'Honey' is what he's mainly remembered for...

Denver was a bit more durable - but parallels can certainly be drawn with the two with their winsome little songs...

The closest Britain got was with a guy called Clifford T. Ward - done some very lovely work, but he's sadly no longer with us...

i LOVED honey!  i was five years old and i'd swing on my swing in the backyard singing that song and crying!!  i still cry when i hear it!  (i'm pathetic that way though!)  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/26/05 at 4:08 pm

http://www.johndenver.com/

And here is the web site to John Denver.^

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/28/05 at 9:31 am

i LOVED honey!  i was five years old and i'd swing on my swing in the backyard singing that song and crying!!  i still cry when i hear it!  (i'm pathetic that way though!)  :\'(
I cry also...great song! BTW, have you ever heard his 1977 song "Me And The Elephants"  ???

Written By: kairi747 on 01/28/05 at 1:24 pm

I cry also...great song! BTW, have you ever heard his 1977 song "Me And The Elephants"  ???

No, i haven't.  who sings it and where can i find it??

Written By: Howard on 01/28/05 at 2:05 pm

Who racked more hits? John Denver or Bobby Goldsboro?

HOWARD

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/04/05 at 7:59 am

I could quite easily sharpen the knife on 'Honey'

Do it Paul !  You know you want to  ;D  I want you to !

Yeah !  He had a really good song called "Wherewithall"  :)

Written By: jaytee on 03/04/05 at 5:04 pm

I liked that song too.

Written By: Paul on 03/04/05 at 5:15 pm

From probably his finest album - 'Home Thoughts'...

Highly recommended...

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 7:58 am

'Honey' by Bobby Goldsboro is one of the worst songs ever IMO. If there is ever a song that could make me vomit - that's got a good chance of doing it.  :P

I don't know much about comparisons but I've heard some of John Denver's stuff (Annie's song, Country roads). It's not bad.

Written By: mandamoo on 03/05/05 at 6:17 pm

'Honey' by Bobby Goldsboro is one of the worst songs ever IMO. If there is ever a song that could make me vomit - that's got a good chance of doing it. :P

Bobby, you're a man after my own heart  ;D ;)

When I first heard that song as a five year old, I found it terribly disturbing  :( - now I just find it disturbingly terrible  :P

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 7:50 pm

Bobby, you're a man after my own heart  ;D ;)

Lol. Thanks Mandamoo. There are three facts in life, tax . . . death . . . and that 'Honey' by Bobby Goldsboro is the most awful record ever.  ;D

When I first heard that song as a five year old, I found it terribly disturbing  :( - now I just find it disturbingly terrible  :P

What is interesting about that statement is it doesn't matter how you turn the words around - it's still true.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/05 at 7:51 pm

You know, I cry when I hear it too . . .  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/05/05 at 8:33 pm

No, i haven't.  who sings it and where can i find it??
It's by Bobby...I have the 45rpm. I have never tried to find it on the net though :-\\

Written By: N.Y.D.J. on 04/08/05 at 10:56 am

While "Honey" is vomitous, indeed...there are two other pieces of drek that make "Honey" seem like listening to the Taberbacle Choir: of course, I'm referring to "Feelings" by Morris Albert and "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone.  :D As a 20-year DJ, I can't tell you how much I'd rather undergo wisdom-tooth extraction than have to play either one of those last two.  :o

D.J.N.Y.

Written By: Paul on 04/08/05 at 2:35 pm

While "Honey" is vomitous, indeed...there are two other pieces of drek that make "Honey" seem like listening to the Taberbacle Choir: of course, I'm referring to "Feelings" by Morris Albert and "You Light Up My Life" by Debbie Boone.  :D As a 20-year DJ, I can't tell you how much I'd rather undergo wisdom-tooth extraction than have to play either one of those last two.  :o

D.J.N.Y.

Oh, I don't know...

Chris De Blurgh's 'Lady In Red' and Stevie Wonder's 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' (interestingly from a film called 'The Woman In Red') are both as enjoyable as a heavy dose of piles...

(And as a DJ in a previous existence, I had to play those to death as well...!)

Written By: schmartypantz on 04/10/05 at 1:39 am

I think Bobby Goldsboro even had his own tv show. But John Denver, say what your will, had way more talent than many folks, including Bobby Goldsboro

Written By: Rick on 11/05/05 at 5:33 pm

Bobby Goldsboro was fun when i was little..even saw him in concert at an exhibition  8)..however,he doesn't come close in comparison to John Denver.Loved John's music then,still listen to it now(kinda like Barry... :D)
       I  ???gotta protest"now i Love Johns music to but Bobbys wrote to many good songs to some that amost thing your there,Like Bucky  And Honey,were John made you fell like flying or being on ship, i have to say the fields were diffrent and the two men could of done one of the biggest records together there ever was ,shame they never did :)

Written By: Sammy Reed on 11/06/05 at 8:54 am

Who racked more hits? John Denver or Bobby Goldsboro?

HOWARD

According to the Joel Whitburn book, "Top Pop Singles", which lists every song that ever made the Billboard top-100 pop chart, John Denver had 33 of them, and Bobby Goldsboro had 26.

Now, I guess I have to figure out about top-40's and top-10's. OK, here goes: (The book also tells how high each song ranked)

Top-40's:
John Denver - 15
Bobby Goldsboro - 11

Top-10's:
John Denver - 8
Bobby Goldsboro - 2

Written By: Paul on 11/06/05 at 12:00 pm

In Britain, it's the reverse...

Bobby's had four...well, three actually - 'Honey' was (somehow!) a #2 hit twice...!

John's had a single solitary one...'Annie's Song', #1 in '74...
(He also had a very minor hit with Spanish warbler Placido Domingo, but I don't suppose that counts...!) 

Anyway, John had more charted albums...16 compared to Bobby's zero!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 11/14/05 at 11:33 pm

Before I get to what I really want to talk about here, I might as well give the run-down on #1 songs.

John Denver - 4
Bobby Goldsboro - 1 ("Honey")

Now, to more stuff!

I got the Joel Whitburn book "Bubbling Under the Hot 100" today, and I find out that in songs that didn't quite make the top 100, Bobby Goldsboro beats John Denver hands down.

Bobby Goldsboro - 11 (ranging from #101-118)
John Denver - 3 (#103-107)

I notice that John Denver's duet with Placido Domingo, "Perhaps Love", went to #59 in 1982. Duets do count under any one of the singers' names, and in fact this is Domingo's only hit on the top 100 (He didn't have one in "bubbling under").

Written By: alyceclover on 11/17/05 at 7:12 am

They do have a similar sound on ballads, but Denver did a lot of different stuff leg-slapping Thank God I'm A Country Boy for instance, but I would fast forward past a lot of his songs on tapes.

'snakes snails puppy dog tails' 'sugar spice everything nice' I still can see me sitting at the Soda fountain in a public place, tears rolling down my eyes as Honey was playing on the jukebox....oh it wasn't the song's saddness that made me cry....if you've ever been so in love & lost loved one tragically...life cut short at an early age....you'd probably be able to relate to this song....

I think Bobby did that divorce song too "can you teach him how to catch a fish.." never bought any of his music, tho'

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/06 at 1:42 pm

Completely and entirely different.

Written By: gmann on 03/11/06 at 1:14 pm

I can understand how people can go into a saccahrine-induced coma after a single listen to "Honey", but I think the song has its own brand of charm. That being said, Goldsboro is unfairly labelled because of that hit. His other stuff tends to be more upbeat; see "Little Things". There's plenty of music from that era that's worse or more forgettable.

At times, John Denver suffered from the Sugary Pop Syndrome, too, but probably made out better in the long run...never mind that plane crash.

Written By: Zella on 03/12/06 at 11:44 pm

Noooo, but back in the spring of '73 after hearing "Summer the First Time" on the radio for the ten billionth time, I could have wished him dead... ::)

As for "Honey" I was in love with that song. My babysitter had the record and I was always begging her to bring it along and play it for me. I finally wheedled it out of her too - still have it.

"Watching Scotty Grow" was much much worse.... ;D

My fave by him was "Watercolor Days" which was on the filpside of Scotty - I actually bought the record jsut for the B-Side... :o

Written By: Sammy Reed on 08/08/06 at 11:45 am

Since I got Joel Whitburn's adult-contemporary book, I thought I'd give the rundown on the hits they had on this chart.

ADULT-CONTEMPORARY HITS
John Denver - 34
Bobby Goldsboro - 29

TOP 10'S
John Denver - 18
Bobby Goldsboro - 12

#1'S
John Denver - 9
Bobby Goldsboro - 2

Check for new replies or respond here...