inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hippies

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/24/05 at 10:35 pm

How common were hippies in the 1960s?  What about the 70s?  Where I live the hippy thing is still around a lot.

Subject: Re: Hippies

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/05 at 8:29 am

How common were hippies in the 1960s?  What about the 70s?  Where I live the hippy thing is still around a lot.

Sixties alot, seventies gone... where do you live that you still have hippies?  Are they older, or children and/or grandchildren of original hippies.  Actually to maintain that kind of a lifestyle I have found they must have a trust fund somewhere.

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/29/05 at 3:37 pm

Sixties alot, seventies gone... where do you live that you still have hippies?  Are they older, or children and/or grandchildren of original hippies.  Actually to maintain that kind of a lifestyle I have found they must have a trust fund somewhere.

I live in Western Oregon.  I will not disclose the town/city, but it's in the Willamette Valley south of Portland.  The hippies here are very anti-Iraq war and pro-environment (I'm very pro-environment, I think the war was PROBABLY a mistake too  ???  ) 

Written By: FullHouseFan! on 01/29/05 at 3:38 pm

No hippies in the 70s at all?  Not even early 70s?  I mean the Vietnam War went on until 1975.  Did the people just accept the war by then?  Was it hopeless to protest?  I've heard the hippy thing in San Francisco was dying out by 1970.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/29/05 at 4:33 pm

No hippies in the 70s at all?  Not even early 70s?  I mean the Vietnam War went on until 1975.  Did the people just accept the war by then?  Was it hopeless to protest?  I've heard the hippy thing in San Francisco was dying out by 1970.

The hippie movement morphed by the end of the sixties into a bunch of fragmented groups,  all pulled together for the end to the war, but you had the womens groups, gay groups, those who became disillusioned and "went straight",  etc.....  It was absolutely not hopeless to protest.  The black civil rights era of the 50's became the all encompassing civil rights movements of the 70's.  The resurgence of the womens movement, the push for gay rights, childrens rights,  the environmentalists etc.  What a time it was! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/05 at 12:51 pm

I believe that the hippy moment is still out there-only most of the hippies today are close to retirement age. They still live by their beliefs-peace, love, freedom, happiness. In a sense, you may say that I am a hippy. I was a bit young to engage in the movement that took place in the 60s but today, I don't live by anyone's rules but my own. I believe in peace and love. I don't "live off the land" like many hippies did/do because I like convience-i.e. electricity, indoor plumbing, etc.

Danoota is right, the hippies have splintered into their own groups. My husband's ex lives in what they call a "community" which to me, is a new word for "comune". They all work together to achieve a common way of life. But, that is just ONE group. There are many other "groups" out there but there isn't a common bond that they have like they did in the 60s.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...