inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beach Boys..The Most Overrated Band of All Time

Written By: woops on 01/30/05 at 8:25 pm

Along with wuss rockers Nilson & James Taylor, I have to say that 'Surf Rock' has to be the most inane genre of music I've heard.  :P

Top 7 Reasons why The Beach Boys reek seagull droppings...

1. Most of their songs sound the same.

2. The only good song they have is "Good Viberations", IMO

3. The songs are all about three things: Surfing, the beach, and (the most cliche') women

4. Sounds very dated and corny for this generation (Though I also lothe most of today's music)

5. Brian Wilson's song writing reminds me of that Dana Carvey broccoli chopping sketch on "SNL"

6. There were much better bands/artists that came out in the 1960's

7. Wilson Phillips (Enough Said  :P )

Dishonorable mentions:

Cher
Mamas & The Papas
Jefferson Airplane
Leslie Gore

Subject: Re: Beach Boys..The Most Overrated Band of All Time

Written By: woops on 01/30/05 at 8:31 pm

Disclaimer: This thread is only based on my opnion. Feel free to disagree or agree. This is NOT a flame thread.  :)

And I actually like a couple bands/artists from the '60's like The Beatles, Supremes, Petula Clark, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Temptations, and a couple more artists...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/30/05 at 9:15 pm

The Beach Boys did contribute to music greatly. At the time, they were part of the regionalism found in a lot of America's music. You had the Detroit/Motown sound, you had Southern rock, and with the Beach Boys, you had Surf music (which wasn't entirely created by them).

While some of their music is about surfing and girls, so is The Beatles earliest work. What's the difference really? Did you know that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was influenced somewhat by the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds", which was a radical departure from the Beach Boys most known work. I suggest you listen to it. It's really good. My favorite is "God Only Knows". The sounds in that album was never part of the Beach Boys' image. It should a maturity (or more of a musical depth) of Brian's writing.

Tanya

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 2:52 am

Along with wuss rockers Nilson & James Taylor, I have to say that 'Surf Rock' has to be the most inane genre of music I've heard.  :P
I have to take issue with this. I love surf instrumental rock (not to be confused with Jan & Dean or the Beach Boys). D!ck Dale kicks @SS. When I hear a good shredding surf instrumental where the guitarist is playing through an old Fender tube amp with the reverb cranked up to 11, and the drummer is laying down a good slamming beat, it makes me want to go 90 mph. It may be somewhat simplistic but that's what really turns my crank. Give this a listen so you can hear my side of the issue:

http://www.live365.com/stations/lpecchia

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 3:57 pm

In what way are they overrated Woops? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 4:20 pm

In what way are they overrated Woops? ???

Howard

It's the fact they're considered "legends", but they weren't that great, IMHO.

And I'll check out "Pet Sounds".  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 4:30 pm

What about their song Kokomo?

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 5:00 pm

What about their song Kokomo?

Howard

Unfortunately, that's not one of my faves.

Though I like The Fat Boys' "Wipeout" that featured a sample of the popular Beach Boys song.  :)

And "Good Viberations", which is the most unique & best song from theirs I like.

For some reason (obiviously the "popular hits" that most oldies stations constantly play), I consider them a 'novelty'.

Funny that's being written from a guy who listens to a certain '80's teen singer, but my musical taste varies.

(I only dislike artists that I have listened to...though John Tesh & Yanni are two major exceptions  :P  :D, )

Written By: BillyB on 01/31/05 at 6:57 pm

The deserve all the praise in the world just for "God Only Knows"....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 7:09 pm

I think Mike Love is an over-rated pompous @ss. Brian Wilson was the brains behind the Beach Boys. When Brian released his long awaited solo LP in 1988 the "Beach Boys" found out and released "Kokomo" the same day >:( I have a LOT of respect for the Wilson Brothers but Mike Love was, is and always will be full of himself :P

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 7:50 pm

I think Mike Love is an over-rated pompous @ss. Brian Wilson was the brains behind the Beach Boys. When Brian released his long awaited solo LP in 1988 the "Beach Boys" found out and released "Kokomo" the same day >:( I have a LOT of respect for the Wilson Brothers but Mike Love was, is and always will be full of himself :P
What's even worse is that when Brian Wilson announced last year that he was going to finally release SMiLE, Mike Love actually had a show in Las Vegas just before the release date in which HE did all of the songs from SMiLE. Yet Mike Love was the one who was trying to discourage Brian Wilson from experimenting with the Beach Boys' sound, and who had the biggest conflict with Wilson's collaborater on SMiLE, Van Dyke Parks.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/05 at 7:53 pm

I can't stand him. I mean, c'mon, he's only a cousin to the Wilsons, so talent doesn't necessary have to flow in the blood. He's gross!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 8:15 pm

What's even worse is that when Brian Wilson announced last year that he was going to finally release SMiLE, Mike Love actually had a show in Las Vegas just before the release date in which HE did all of the songs from SMiLE. Yet Mike Love was the one who was trying to discourage Brian Wilson from experimenting with the Beach Boys' sound, and who had the biggest conflict with Wilson's collaborater on SMiLE, Van **** Parks.
Let's not forget his drunken tirade at the 1988 R&R Hall Of Fame...he said the Beach Boys could kick the Beatles' butts and challenged them to a fight....he was pulled off stage :P

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 8:18 pm

Not to sound ignorant, but who's Mike Love?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 8:22 pm

Not to sound ignorant, but who's Mike Love?

He sang a lot...but not all of thier tunes....Brian Wilson lead sang on my favorite song by them..."Don't Worry Baby" from 1964 ;)

Written By: woops on 01/31/05 at 8:38 pm

Thanks  :)

As for instrumental surf rock, I actually like the theme of "Hawaii Five 0"  :)

Also the theme of "Gidget", but it's more '60's pop than "surf"...though the show aired in 1965 and the movie took place in the late 50's/early '60's... Not to mention on one episode she 's a fan of a British Invasion type band.

(Might explain about the '90's "Weird Science" tv show and the '80's movie of the same name)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 8:40 pm

Anytime ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/31/05 at 10:01 pm

As much as I don't like them, you have to give them the credit they deserve.

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 11:46 pm

Let's not forget his drunken tirade at the 1988 R&R Hall Of Fame...he said the Beach Boys could kick the Beatles' butts and challenged them to a fight....he was pulled off stage :P
Really? I did not know that. What a goob.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 4:05 pm

What's the name of the only Beach Boy survivor in the group? I remember the others died many years ago.

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/01/05 at 5:51 pm

What's the name of the only Beach Boy survivor in the group? I remember the others died many years ago.

Howard
Mike Love....Al Jardine and Brian Wilson are three of the ones that I know of that are still alive.  Howard...you may have been thinking "Wilson Brothers"....Dennis the drummer died in 1983....Carl and Brian attended Super Bowl 32 in January 1998 and soon after Carl died of cancer  :\'(  A jerk from VH1, Jon Fugelsang, was fired from the station for making a joke about Carl and the Cancer he died from >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 5:54 pm

Mike Love....Al Jardine and Brian Wilson are three of the ones that I know of that are still alive.  Howard...you may have been thinking "Wilson Brothers"....Dennis the drummer died in 1983....Carl and Brian attended Super Bowl 32 in January 1998 and soon after Carl died of cancer  :\'(  A jerk from VH1, Jon Fugelsang, was fired from the station for making a joke about Carl and the Cancer he died from >:(

What are they doing these days? ???

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/01/05 at 5:55 pm

Brian just released an LP...Jardine has his own band....and I could care less about what Mike Love is doing :P

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/01/05 at 6:18 pm

Howard

Howard,unless you know something I don't,only Dennis Wilson and Carl Wilson have died...

Woops,
These guys and their vocal arrangements are nothing short of genius...

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/01/05 at 11:49 pm

I give respect to the Beatles although I think they're overrated, but the Beach Boys just sucked. 

Written By: jaytee on 02/02/05 at 3:21 am

The Beach Boys are absolutely brilliant.

WHERE ARE YOU BOBO!!!???

Written By: Howard on 02/02/05 at 3:54 pm

Howard,unless you know something I don't,only Dennis Wilson and Carl Wilson have died...

Woops,
These guys and their vocal arrangements are nothing short of genius...

Will they ever get newer members for The Beach Boys or just to leave it the way it is?

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/02/05 at 5:46 pm

Will they ever get newer members for The Beach Boys or just to leave it the way it is?

Howard

To be honest, I'd rather a band break up or call themselves something else if they lose members.  It's never the same when a band has different minds and faces behind their music.  If they just change their name, I can be like "Cool! That band has a guy from Depeche Mode?"  instead of "How can they still call themselves Depeche Mode, Dave Gahan is DEAD!"

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/02/05 at 5:49 pm

Howard

Well, as RandRfan has said "Brian just released an LP...Jardine has his own band....and I could care less about what Mike Love is doing"

So there is probably no plans to reunite the band with or without new members...it would be nice to hear the guys one last time though,as I never did get around to seeing them...

Written By: karen on 02/03/05 at 4:00 am

There was a documentary on TV a couple of weeks ago about Brian Wilson about his life.  They also interviewed Mike Love and Al Jardine.

I thought I remembered that one of them is still doing the Beach Boys stuff (not Brian Wilson)

Brian Wilson was on stage at the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations the other year doing Good Vibrations and at least one other song.  He looked really out of it, thought he looked better in the documentary.

Written By: McDonald on 02/03/05 at 12:54 pm

I think the Beach Boys are underrated if anything. They are usually written off as this fun and sun band who weren't important... but so many of their songs are triumphs of beauty. "God Only Knows" is amazing... also "When I Grow Up to Be a Man," and "Don't Worry Baby." To name a few.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/05 at 2:02 pm

Did anyone happen to catch the reviews for the play "Good Vibrations"?
Wow,the critics thought it was stupid.1 or 2 stars. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 02/03/05 at 2:05 pm

Well, as RandRfan has said "Brian just released an LP...Jardine has his own band....and I could care less about what Mike Love is doing"

So there is probably no plans to reunite the band with or without new members...it would be nice to hear the guys one last time though,as I never did get around to seeing them...

So,I guess there'll be no new name as "The New Boys OR The New Beach Boys"? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 02/03/05 at 2:18 pm

Did anyone happen to catch the reviews for the play "Good Vibrations"?
Wow,the critics thought it was stupid.1 or 2 stars. ::)

Howard

Somewhat similar...

I've read many bad reviews on Brian Wilson's "Smile" on Amazon... 

I bet the play was basically was more like 'Grease' than 'Tommy' (rock opera from The Who).

Written By: Howard on 02/03/05 at 2:42 pm

Somewhat similar...

I've read many bad reviews on Brian Wilson's "Smile" on Amazon... 

I bet the play was basically was more like 'Grease' than 'Tommy' (rock opera from The Who).

Yes.It was somewhat similar.The critics thought it was gonna be something different.stupid critics.What do they know. ::)

Howard

Written By: Bobo on 02/09/05 at 4:25 pm

Coming out of the shadows briefly - I suppose I should cover all bases here at the same time:

Howard: As for the original Beach Boys - Carl died from "complications from" lung cancer a few years ago, Dennis drowned in California in 1983, Brian, as has been said, not only has been working on the beautiful new version of Smile, but also on a new CD, Gettin' In Over My Head, containing, amongst others, a duet with Elton John - and, for the record, I do believe, with all the touring Brian has been recently doing, his voice is in better shape now than it has been since 1976. Any doubters, just pull Smile out and listen to "Song For Children".

Al Jardine is, as far as I can remember, still with his brother and the rest of his relatives in the Jardine's Family and Friends band. As for Mike, he and Bruce (come to think of it, probably the only two people in the group who can still stand each other) are still together along with a band of touring musicians.

As for Brian, the journey really re-started with the Wondermints - who summarily became members of his touring band and continue to sing and perform with him to this day.

When it comes to the matter of a new album - something they now haven't done for coming onto thirteen years - 1992 saw the late, great Terry Melcher producing "Summer In Paradise" - the better tracks being "Island Fever", the Sly and the Family Stone cover "Hot Fun In The Summertime", and a re-working of "Forever" - the most frightning moments being mostly present on the hip-hop-esque "Summer Of Love". I can't see them doing it any more. And, let's be entirely fair - where would they go from where they had previously came? Contemporary cover versions, "Passing Friend" style? The more I think of it, the more the perverse part of my brain would love to see it! I see Bruce doing "Like Toy Soldiers" personally, perhaps recruiting an extraordinarily contemporary band (or Martika herself..?) to do the chorus vocals. The mind boggles...

Anyway. Nice touching base with you guys. I might see you around sometime very soon.

The Beach Boys are absolutely brilliant.

WHERE ARE YOU BOBO!!!???

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 1:54 am

I've liked the Beach Boys since I was 9. I like their music. There's an innocence to it, for one thing, plus it just has a nice sound. I don't think they're overrated all.

Written By: zcrito on 02/14/05 at 12:31 am

I just heard Don't Worry Baby on the radio this evening. It sounded pretty good.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 9:43 am

I just heard Don't Worry Baby on the radio this evening. It sounded pretty good.  :)

Happens to be my favourite ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 9:46 am

In answer to the "Critics"...I for the most part, don't take them seriously...I meanmost of the movies I've watched in my life, that were slammed by the critics, are the ones I enjoyed most...same thing when they claim a movie to be "Best Of The Year" and I can't stand it :D Critics, schmitics...I have my own opinion ;)

Written By: Aidan on 02/15/05 at 3:51 pm

Now sorry, and I know it's only your opinion, but I really don't feel you can judge any band - much less call them overrated - without having listened to their milestone work. Pet Sounds isn't just a Beach Boys milestone; it's a music milestone. An all time great on the scale only reached by one or two albums since. I don't know what you were basing your argument upon if you hadn't heard Pet Sounds - it's kinda like judging a footballer without having seen him play football.

Aidan

Written By: Ellis on 02/19/05 at 7:38 pm

Funny, but my favorite song by Neil Diamond is Brian Wilson's "God Only Knows".  I'm not sure but were't they both "Tin Pan Alley" guys.?

Written By: AL-B on 02/21/05 at 11:59 pm

Did you know--Brian Wilson won the Grammy this year for "Best Rock Instrumental Performance?" He won it for the song "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" off the newly released SMiLE album. (I recommend this album to all hard-core Beach Boys fans.)

Also, one of my favorite bands, Wilco, won the "Best Alternative Album" Grammy for their latest CD, "A Ghost Is Born." WOO-HOO! :)

Written By: hot_wax on 03/15/05 at 1:14 pm

As for instrumental surf rock, I actually like the theme of "Hawaii Five 0"  :)

Also the theme of "Gidget", but it's more '60's pop than "surf"...though the show aired in 1965 and the movie took place in the late 50's/early '60's... Not to mention on one episode she 's a fan of a British Invasion type band.

(Might explain about the '90's "Weird Science" tv show and the '80's movie of the same name)

They gave the Sixties the excitement of being a free spirit and gave the East Coast kids the a wander lust for the California life style. They did a good job of keeping the Viet Nam War out of the minds of us kids at the time also. Their style of music was a breath of fresh air away from the basic Rock n Roll beat. I only liked to listen to their music in the summer time at the Jersey shore.

There is a show about their music on now on Broadway...what does that tell you?

Hot Wax

Written By: ADH13 on 03/15/05 at 11:54 pm

I wasn't even born yet in the days of the Beach Boys but I still like their music...most of it, anyway.  I like Little Deuce Coupe, Help Me Rhonda, I Get Around, Don't Worry Baby, and the others in that style.

I'm not too crazy about "Surfer Girl" and "In My Room" because they sound a little "draggy".

I saw them at a benefit concert a few years back, along with The Drifters, Jerry Lewis and Frankie Valli.  They did a good show. 

Written By: no_circulars on 03/19/05 at 8:56 pm

The Beach Boys.

If you don't like them now, you'll never understand.

Written By: Andy on 03/22/05 at 1:23 am

If you dont like the beach boys your sadly missing out on apart or rock's foundation's. Pet Sounds broke new grounds, arguably the first concept album.

Written By: Sick of Britney on 04/28/05 at 5:22 pm

{BUMP}

I've listened to "Pet Sounds" and it wasn't anything interesting.

It's probably just my taste.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/05 at 6:06 am

Pet Sounds is possibly THE most melodically/instrumentally lush album of the rock era. I remember the first time I listened to Sgt. Pepper I thought 'overhyped' but the first time I heard Pet Sounds I liked every single song on it. Usually it takes time, but it shows just how good this album it.

Written By: Albert on 06/07/05 at 5:36 am

Top 7 Reasons why The Beach Boys reek seagull droppings...

1. Most of their songs sound the same.

2. The only good song they have is "Good Viberations", IMO

3. The songs are all about three things: Surfing, the beach, and (the most cliche') women

4. Sounds very dated and corny for this generation (Though I also lothe most of today's music)

5. Brian Wilson's song writing reminds me of that Dana Carvey broccoli chopping sketch on "SNL"

6. There were much better bands/artists that came out in the 1960's

7. Wilson Phillips (Enough Said  :P )

Dishonorable mentions:

Cher
Mamas & The Papas
Jefferson Airplane
Leslie Gore

As for The Mamas & the Papas, I honestly don't see how anyone could not love their 1967 smash (peaked at #2 for 3 weeks in U.S.) "Dedicated to the One I Love." It's also hard for me to see how someone can't be a fan of The Beach Boys' late-1966 #8 (U.S.) song "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (so fun!).

Written By: Maddie on 06/08/05 at 10:07 pm

What about Wilson Phillips...they were far worse.  :P

Just because their parents were legends doesn't mean they have taleny.

Take it from Nancy Sinatra, Nelson, Kelly Osbourne, and Lisa Marie Presley, except that "Lights Out" is her only good song..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/05 at 10:21 pm

To quote a great musician on HIS thoughts of Brian Wilson...Eric Carmen: I went to school on Brian Wilson. That was a real breakthrough for me because he was doing things that I thought were so incredibly sophisticated before anybody was doing anything even close. The Pet Sounds album is, to me, the best pop album of all time.

Brian introduced me to the idea of writing a bridge for a song that really had nothing to do with the verse and chorus. In the early days, I spent a lot of time concentrating on writing bridges that took you some place that you didn't expect to go. Many songwriters wrote a song, the song's in the key of C, it comes time for a bridge and they go to A minor. That bored me. Brian would go to E flat or somewhere strange, and he managed to do it smoothly. He also had a way of delivering you out of the bridge in such a way that you felt like maybe the song had modulated up a step, but you were really back in the original key. That, to me, was artwork.

So to all the Beach Boys haters,  I say "Whatever"

Written By: woops on 06/09/05 at 9:41 pm

So to all the Beach Boys haters,  I say "Whatever"

I also think of the same way to people who dislike old school hip hop.

We're all even!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/20/05 at 8:46 pm

{BUMP}

I've listened to "Pet Sounds" and it wasn't anything interesting.

It's probably just my taste.

Maybe you weren't really LISTENING to the music with an open mind....

You probably wouldn't like Sgt. Pepper(Beatles), Days of Future Passed(the Moody Blues) or Tommy(the Who) either...

Pet Sounds is one INCREDIBLE album!

Written By: Mr. D on 07/26/05 at 10:16 am

Paul McCartney said the bass lines from Beach Boys songs inspired his melodic style of playing.  I guess the Beatles suck too.

The Beach Boys.

If you don't like them now, you'll never understand.

Written By: Endless on 07/26/05 at 10:42 am

Paul McCartney said the bass lines from Beach Boys songs inspired his melodic style of playing.  I guess the Beatles suck too.

No the Beatles don't suck...but the Beach Boys still do.  I guess you could say the Beach Boys inspired me too, in the same way Air Supply did.. to go out and commit random acts of violence as I got a little older and let their 'good time tunes' boil inside me... :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/05 at 11:32 am

Brian Wilson wrote some great stuff and was very innovative. He's gotten compliments from many other artists including the Beatles. I think the Beach Boys music is alright but for those who think they suck, hey that's your opinion and I respect it ;)

Written By: Mr. D on 07/27/05 at 9:56 am

You may have a point there.  But I think that was the wrong emoticon for this subject.  Maybe go with a combination of the sunglasses and the angry emoticons next time.  Something along these lines...  >:( -  8) =  ::)

No the Beatles don't suck...but the Beach Boys still do.  I guess you could say the Beach Boys inspired me too, in the same way Air Supply did.. to go out and commit random acts of violence as I got a little older and let their 'good time tunes' boil inside me... :P

Check for new replies or respond here...