inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which is worse: Lawrence Welk or Pat Boone?

Written By: AL-B on 01/31/05 at 2:05 am

Although Pat Boone's wretched covers of 50's R & B songs are unforgivable, I have to go with Larry on this one simply because my parents always watched his show on Saturday nights, which was almost enough to induce nausea when I was 5 years old.

Subject: Re: Which is worse: Lawrence Welk or Pat Boone?

Written By: Tam on 01/31/05 at 2:08 am

I dont remember Boone too much but Welk was the worst!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/05 at 10:40 am

Pat Boone's wretched covers of 50's R & B songs are unforgivable

I agree on this note!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 11:06 am

At least Pat Boone "Rocked" recently :D

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005KOE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/31/05 at 12:05 pm

^Mark, you've got to be kidding. He looked so foolish at that point of his career.

Tanya

Written By: Paul on 01/31/05 at 2:45 pm

I'm uncertain as to whether Lawrence Welk's shows ever got aired on British TV, but I've certainly heard some 'comments' about them...!

As for the music, well I think Mr. Welk's is an acquired taste - and while I certainly will agree that Pat should never have been let loose near a fast-paced RnB tune, his ballads were something else...

So Mr. Welk and his 'Champagne Music' get the thumbs-down from me...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/31/05 at 8:26 pm

^Mark, you've got to be kidding. He looked so foolish at that point of his career.

Tanya
You HAVE to check out his version of "Panama"...... ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/01/05 at 12:11 pm

You HAVE to check out his version of "Panama"...... ;D

You know what, Sweetie, I'll leave that to you!!!!! I don't think my ears can take it.

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/01/05 at 4:05 pm

Remember when Pat Boone appeared on the American Music Awards garbed in that heavy metal gear?  The religious folks were really up in arms over that one!

I voted for Lawrence Welk - I worked in a nursing home for about six months when I was 20 and I had to work every other weekend and the residents there all insisted on getting back up to their rooms as soon as possible after dinner on Saturday nights so they could watch him.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 4:09 pm

Lawrence Welk

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/02/05 at 10:10 am

Lawerence Welk  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 12:29 pm

Lawrence Welk! I got stuck watching that sour stomach-inducing show as a six-year-old kid....I wanted to listen to my favorite band,The Beatles,while my housemother(I went to a boarding school at the time)watched ABC's,IMHO,worst show ever! I used to hope to God that we'd lose the antenna or the power would go out,just so I would have hear 'A-1 an A-2' which is how Ol' Boring Larry always got the orchestra started! What the h*ll was ABC(the US network)thinking when they unleashed that show...and this was the network of AMERICAN BANDSTAND....

I'm glad that decent action shows like "Emergency" eventually saved me from boredom....

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 4:31 pm

Lawrence Welk! I got stuck watching that sour stomach-inducing show as a six-year-old kid....I used to hope to God that we'd lose the antenna or the power would go out,just so I would have hear 'A-1 an A-2' which is how Ol' Boring Larry always got the orchestra started!
Believe me, I know EXACTLY how you feel...I went through the same thing as a child. I've reached the age where I can start to appreciate a lot of the music my parents liked, but Lawrence Welk's appeal remains a complete mystery to me.
    I remember once hearing about a judge in some small town who got fed up with all of these teenagers coming into his courtroom after being ticketed for playing their car stereos too loud. So he came up with an innovative solution. Instead of fining them he sentenced them to be locked up in a room for an hour with nothing but Lawrence Welk playing at full volume over the PA system. Not long after that, the local police reported that the number of cars playing their stereos loud had dropped drastically. ;D ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 8:00 pm

Believe me, I know EXACTLY how you feel...I went through the same thing as a child. I've reached the age where I can start to appreciate a lot of the music my parents liked, but Lawrence Welk's appeal remains a complete mystery to me.
I remember once hearing about a judge in some small town who got fed up with all of these teenagers coming into his courtroom after being ticketed for playing their car stereos too loud. So he came up with an innovative solution. Instead of fining them he sentenced them to be locked up in a room for an hour with nothing but Lawrence Welk playing at full volume over the PA system. Not long after that, the local police reported that the number of cars playing their stereos loud had dropped drastically. ;D ;D
Some of the stuff from the swing era,stuff like 50's era Frank Sinatra....is actually pretty decent.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 8:03 pm

Pat Boone must GO.....maybe rent a stadium and burn his albums,like when some DJ in Chicago had DISCO albums burned....Steve Dahl(?) I think was behind that!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/13/05 at 8:43 pm

You know what, Sweetie, I'll leave that to you!!!!! I don't think my ears can take it.

Tanya
Trust me...you will laugh ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 8:57 pm

I'm uncertain as to whether Lawrence Welk's shows ever got aired on British TV, but I've certainly heard some 'comments' about them...!

As for the music, well I think Mr. Welk's is an acquired taste - and while I certainly will agree that Pat should never have been let loose near a fast-paced RnB tune, his ballads were something else...

So Mr. Welk and his 'Champagne Music' get the thumbs-down from me...
The Welk show would have you bored to tears....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/13/05 at 8:59 pm

Imagine Pat Boone covering Metallica's ENTER SANDMAN...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA....just kidding,I think Lars would have Pat in legal trouble...

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/05/05 at 2:22 pm

Actullay, Debbie Boone!  :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/05/05 at 5:15 pm

Actullay, Debbie Boone! :P
You obviously did not have to endure the TORTURE TEST which was/is the Lawrence Welk show! I think PBS still airs the reruns to keep the seniors' money coming in at PLEDGE time!

I think it would be extremely FUNNY if someone got into PBS's videotape archives and ERASED all the Welk episodes!
I know a lot of seniors who don't like Welk anymore.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/06/05 at 10:07 pm

OK, this is just wrong: There is actually an online petition going to try and get Pat Boone inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. Read some of these signatures and the quotes accompanying them and tell me these people aren't freakin' high.  Pat Boone, with his squeaky-clean, sanitized-for-white-America versions of such great, raucous '50s R & B songs like Fats Domino's "Ain't That A Shame" (Boone actually wanted to change it to "Isn't It A Shame" because he thought the grammar was incorrect!) and Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti," is such the antithesis of the true rebellious spirit of rock n'roll that if these idiots should ever succeed in getting him inducted it would forever taint whatever legitimacy the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame might have ever had. If anything, he was one of the people that the powers-that-be at the time were using to try and KILL rock n'roll. Don't believe me? Here's the site:

http://www.backpat.org/

THESE PEOPLE MUST BE STOPPED AT ALL COST!!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...