inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Memories of Holding and Spending Silver Coins

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/07/05 at 11:53 pm

Does anyone here have any?

Subject: Re: Memories of Holding and Spending Silver Coins

Written By: bj26 on 02/08/05 at 9:12 am

Yes, I have some, the half dollasr were beautiful, I think there was aBen Franklin one and an eagle one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/05 at 10:29 am

Oh yeah. I have a few (but you know that already  ;))

Cat

Written By: karen on 02/08/05 at 10:38 am

Were they real silver coins or just silver in colour?

We still have silver-coloured coins here so I guess it seemed a strange question to ask, in that I generally use the coins every day.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/08/05 at 12:40 pm

Were they real silver coins or just silver in colour?

We still have silver-coloured coins here so I guess it seemed a strange question to ask, in that I generally use the coins every day.

Karen you're British, right? I don't know exactly when they debased your coins, but I think they reduced it to 50% in the 1920s and got rid of it altogether in the 1960s.  I'm not sure though.  In the US we had 90% silver coins up to 1965.

Today your coins are merely silver-colored copper-nickel.

-FHF  ;)

Written By: bj26 on 02/08/05 at 3:08 pm

Karen you're British, right? I don't know exactly when they debased your coins, but I think they reduced it to 50% in the 1920s and got rid of it altogether in the 1960s.  I'm not sure though.  In the US we had 90% silver coins up to 1965.

Today your coins are merely silver-colored copper-nickel.

-FHF  ;)
I'll take them regardless of what they are made of :)

Written By: ski_luvr on 02/08/05 at 3:42 pm

Oh Ya  Quarters I have 1940  59  61 and 64  I think my favorite would be my 1938 Mercury Head Dime  I also have a 1946 Dime  a couple 51's  a 60 and  seven 1964's

Written By: Howard on 02/08/05 at 3:54 pm

So,these coins would have to be before the 1970's? ???

Howard

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/08/05 at 4:18 pm

So,these coins would have to be before the 1970's? ???

Howard

Yes, but you'd still find some in circulation in the 70s (today you do see silver, but it's a rare occasion)

Written By: Howard on 02/08/05 at 4:23 pm

Yes, but you'd still find some in circulation in the 70s (today you do see silver, but it's a rare occasion)

Ok,I see what you're getting at.

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/05 at 9:50 am

A few years ago, I was thirsty and wanted a soda from a vending machine that was in front of a K-Mart. I went into the K-Mart to get change and then proceeded to put the coins (quarters) into the machine but one kept falling right through. I tried it over and over again but the coin still kept falling through. Then I looked at the coin. It was a 1957 SILVER quarter. Well, I was very grateful that the machine didn't take it and I put it in a safe place so I wouldn't spend it before I could get it home. Oh yeah, I got another coin for my drink.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Mona on 02/09/05 at 9:57 am

Oh Ya  Quarters I have 1940  59  61 and 64   I think my favorite would be my 1938 Mercury Head Dime  I also have a 1946 Dime  a couple 51's  a 60 and  seven 1964's

Do you have any Walking Libertys?  My dad used to have some, not sure if he still does or not.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/09/05 at 4:35 pm

Do you have any Walking Libertys? My dad used to have some, not sure if he still does or not.

I used to have a well worn Walker but I sold it.  Someday I might want to do a Short Set of 40s coins.

-FHF ;)

Written By: ski_luvr on 02/18/05 at 11:48 am

Do you have any Walking Liberty's?  My dad used to have some, not sure if he still does or not.
Ill have to look.  Ill check with my mom  my grandfather left his coin collection to her and I know MANY are very very old he had some from the 1800'S he got them from his parents and grandparents  Pretty cool!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/05 at 12:03 pm

Ill have to look.  Ill check with my mom  my grandfather left his coin collection to her and I know MANY are very very old he had some from the 1800'S he got them from his parents and grandparents  Pretty cool!

They could be Morgan Dollars. That is what I have been concentrating collecting of late.

Cat

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/19/05 at 8:06 pm

So wait a tick, were all coins made out of silver prior to the 70s?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/19/05 at 8:57 pm

So wait a tick, were all coins made out of silver prior to the 70s?

Before you count your 1965 quarters and figure their worth, no.  Any dime, quarter, or half dollar before 1965 is 90% silver.  Half dollars from 1965 to 1970 are 40% silver and can more or less easily be found at a bank. (although I've never played the half dollar game.  I usually don't have $10 on me when I'm out.  ;D )

Check for new replies or respond here...