inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 50s - More Like 2005 or 1905

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/12/05 at 1:13 am

I guess I'll say 2005 since people had electricity and running water in the fifties.

Subject: Re: The 50s - More Like 2005 or 1905

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 8:11 am

That's an interesting question, although I dare not answer it with any semblance of seriously (for want of better word). Of course it depends on how you mean 'more similar to 1905 to 2005' (the question itself is a bit vague). Do you mean technology, fashion/culture, society. etc? I consider the post WWII period the beginning of the 'new modern' or 'Space era' differentiated by a largely globalised, consumer lifestyle dominated by technology. While I would consider the Industrial Revolution the beginning of the 'modern age' where we adopted our urban-orientated industrial economy, it is only perhaps the 50s that we see an indentifyably 'modern' age emerge.

In terms of society; cultural attitudes etc. the most change in terms of social attitudes.etc occured in the 1960s. From about 1970 to present little has changed. In terms of technology, more has probably changed between 1905 and 1955 than from 1955 until today. I always consider the 50s like the early 60s, while the mid-60s saw an explosion in the popular music scene and the rise of shopping malls; two things which hugely shaped modern life.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 5:38 pm

That's an interesting question, although I dare not answer it with any semblance of seriously (for want of better word). Of course it depends on how you mean 'more similar to 1905 to 2005' (the question itself is a bit vague). Do you mean technology, fashion/culture, society. etc? I consider the post WWII period the beginning of the 'new modern' or 'Space era' differentiated by a largely globalised, consumer lifestyle dominated by technology. While I would consider the Industrial Revolution the beginning of the 'modern age' where we adopted our urban-orientated industrial economy, it is only perhaps the 50s that we see an indentifyably 'modern' age emerge.

In terms of society; cultural attitudes etc. the most change in terms of social attitudes.etc occured in the 1960s. From about 1970 to present little has changed. In terms of technology, more has probably changed between 1905 and 1955 than from 1955 until today. I always consider the 50s like the early 60s, while the mid-60s saw an explosion in the popular music scene and the rise of shopping malls; two things which hugely shaped modern life.

I guess it's a combo of all I'm asking of.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/25/05 at 8:06 am

BUMP

Being (obviously) a fan of Back to the Future, I have to bring anything up which mentions 1955! ;D

In any case, I think more smaller things have changed from 1955-2005 (i.e. fashion, music, technology--heck, the entire teen culture was only just burgeoning by the mid 50's), but the way of life and major things shifted more from 1905-1955.

Speaking of '55, though, would you consider that to be the real beginning of the 50's? I would (although, maybe 1954 was the very beginning traces of it). Just as a parallel example, there's an early draft of Back to the Future Part 1, written in the very early 80's. The general premise is still the same (Marty goes back to the 50's and gets his parents together. Dad is still a wimp, mom's more wild, Biff is a bully, etc) however, only this time, the present time is 1982 and Marty goes back to '52.

SPOILERS

Even though that was only 3 years difference, the 50's culture that script seemed to portray was extremely different than the 1955 we see in the real movie - as well as the "50's" I'm used to seeing elsewhere. Truthfully, it was more like the 1940's or earlier culturally. When Marty played the song at the dance (this time, it was "Blue Suede Shoes"), it freaked people out, causing a riot. When Marty returns to the new 1982, he finds it basically a Jetsons-like 1940's-styled future where rock & roll doesn't exist.

Most likely, it caused such an uproar, that in the new timeline, adults banned it and it either went underground or died out altogether.

END SPOILERS

Anyway, sorry for going off on that little side story, but just thought that would be a cool example (even if it's fictional) of how quickily the 50's became their own decade. I'd even say 1955 was still slightly transitional. Rock was around by then, teen rebellion and the like was too, but I'd say it was in full swing by 1956/57 (Elvis got big in '56).

I guess up to 1953, it was still like the 1930's/40's. 1954-55 was transitional, but closer to the real 50's. 1956-63 was like the "main" 50's. Maybe 1955-62 ('cause by the end of 1963, the 60's culture was starting to come into being).

Written By: Joe Melosi on 04/11/05 at 2:31 pm

As a child of the 50s (so to speak) similarities abound. Cool had the same meaning then that it has now. You could even be called a cool cat if you dug the cool music.
Never in between then and now have so many very talented young musical artists emerged to sing the songs of the great big-band era, no doubt because of popular demand among the young. Whatever was old has become new again, across the vast desert of tantrum and me-too-ism created by "rock" music. Civility is cool again.

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/02/05 at 7:16 pm

I guess I'll say 2005 since people had electricity and running water in the fifties.

I'd personally pick 1965....if I knew what I know now!  :-* 1985 was pretty good too.

Subject: The 50s - More Like 2005 or 1605

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/02/05 at 7:24 pm

Read the subject line ^  ::)

Subject: Re: The 50s - More Like 2005 or 1605

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/05/05 at 1:34 pm

Read the subject line ^  ::)

Oops! Sorry. I was so excited to find this forum I was zipping though all the threads like a mad woman!!!!! :D

Check for new replies or respond here...