inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rolling Stone best 500 songs

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/14/05 at 9:45 pm

No 1. 'Rolling Stone' by Bob Dylan? That I find hard to believe, would it be a coincidence the magazine was named after that song? There are many songs which I thought should have been in the list that weren't. No. 2, Imagine a good song though I think its a bit overrated. If you were the judge, what would you pick as the no. 1 song of all time? Not your favourite song, but the song which has not only the greatest influence but is the 'best' (a subjective term obviously) song of all time? Personally, I couldn't pick one. But the ones that come to mind are 'Wild Thing' by the Troggs (the birth of the pre-punk movement)  'All Along The Watchtower' by Hendrix (perfect encapsulation of 60s social issues.etc) or 'Bohemian Rhapsody.' by Queen, classic of the 20th century. By the way by no means are any of these my personal favourite songs, just songs I could consider worthy of being no.1.

Subject: Re: Rolling Stone best 500 songs

Written By: gord on 02/15/05 at 5:28 am

Where did 'Hey Jude' and 'Stairway to Heaven' place on the list ? Good songs but played out for me, those 2 always seem to be high on these lists. 'All Along The Watchtower' is a Dylan song too, Hendrix covered it and I like his version better :)

Written By: Paul on 02/15/05 at 7:03 am

Where did 'Hey Jude' and 'Stairway to Heaven' place on the list ? Good songs but played out for me, those 2 always seem to be high on these lists.

#8. and #31. respectively, gord...should you wish to trawl through the whole shebang, you can find it here (takes a wee while to load)

'All Along The Watchtower' is a Dylan song too, Hendrix covered it and I like his version better :)

Agree with you there - mind you, near-enough anyone can do a better cover of Dylan's stuff...!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 9:35 am

Whenever I see a Rolling Stone OR VH1 "List" I tend to cringe :P

Written By: gord on 02/15/05 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Paul I had a look, I had heard a few months back that Dylans song was # 1 but hadn't seen the rest of it, I don't know how they came up with it, what did they base the rankings on ?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Paul I had a look, I had heard a few months back that Dylans song was # 1 but hadn't seen the rest of it, I don't know how they came up with it, what did they base the rankings on ?
Idiocy for the most part :D

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/16/05 at 9:06 pm

Rolling Stone as number one? Bah. Good song but there are better. A Day In The Life might be my all time favorite..that, or maybe Hey Jude.

Check for new replies or respond here...