inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beatles Rant Part Deux: Must EVERYONE love Beatles and the 60s decade as #1?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 5:58 pm

I'll say this first, while I've heard very little Beatles they seem good to me, although they're really just pop and I doubt they really made 1975 music in 1964, although many were influenced by them so its not totally unreasonable.  But at the same time, I'm soooo tired of everyone feeling obliged to put them as #1, along with either the 60s or 70s as #1 decade. 

I know the 60s and 70s were great in many ways.  But really how great?  A lot of it was really f*ed up.  Even the 80s people here, who I'm sure hated the 60s and 70s back in 1984, seem to now see the 80s as second to either the 60s or the 70s, just because those two decades are supposed to be the best. 

Someone here please explain why the 60s are the best.  I personally like the 80s best now.  8)

-DR

Subject: Re: Beatles Rant Part Deux: Must EVERYONE love Beatles and the 60s decade as #1?

Written By: gemini61 on 03/03/05 at 6:05 pm

Guess you just had to be there  8) 

Subject: Re: Beatles Rant Part Deux: Must EVERYONE love Beatles and the 60s decade as #1?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 6:06 pm

Guess you just had to be there  8) 

Cool  8)  Can you explain some cool things about it?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious  8)

-DR  ;)

Written By: gemini61 on 03/03/05 at 6:14 pm

Cool  8)  Can you explain some cool things about it?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious  8)

-DR  ;)

If you're just talking about everyday life in general, here's how my life was. Mom didn't work, dad worked 
9-5. We stayed outside and played all day, didn't have to lock the doors in my neighborhood. We all ate dinner together, at the kitchen table, not all at different times. Good cartoons  ;) Good music,  everyone knew their neighbors. That's what I'm talking about. I don't know about anyone else. It would take hours to explain, so that's why I said, "you had to be there".  :)

Written By: AchtungBaby on 03/03/05 at 7:06 pm

Why I love the Beatles:

I born in the '70's - my first experience with the Beatles - was not the Beatles - it was Wings.  I feel in love with London Town and Pauls looks. 

I never really got into the Beatles until I met my husband in 1986.  I was an 80's New Wave girl, but I was always willing to try something different.  He was a die hard - but was born in 1969 - when they had already broken up.  I let myself listen to a few albums, Rubber Soul, White Album, and Let it Be - were the first ones that I listened to.   He had me listen to them with headphones on.  I was amazed that they used orchestra's, made sounds come out of one speaker then other sounds out of another speaker.  It was just unbelievable - it explained the origin of the music that I loved in the '80's and continue to hear - the trademark sounds that the Beatles made.

Try it sometimes - with headphones on - it is really magical.  I have to admit though - I did not care for the George and the Sitar (way to druggie sounding for me.) ::)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 8:47 pm

Why I love the Beatles:

I born in the '70's - my first experience with the Beatles - was not the Beatles - it was Wings.  I feel in love with London Town and Pauls looks. 

I never really got into the Beatles until I met my husband in 1986.  I was an 80's New Wave girl, but I was always willing to try something different.  He was a die hard - but was born in 1969 - when they had already broken up.  I let myself listen to a few albums, Rubber Soul, White Album, and Let it Be - were the first ones that I listened to.   He had me listen to them with headphones on.  I was amazed that they used orchestra's, made sounds come out of one speaker then other sounds out of another speaker.  It was just unbelievable - it explained the origin of the music that I loved in the '80's and continue to hear - the trademark sounds that the Beatles made.

Try it sometimes - with headphones on - it is really magical.  I have to admit though - I did not care for the George and the Sitar (way to druggie sounding for me.) ::)

Really?  They sound like a neat band :)  But I'm not a fan of "big bands", orchestras and the like.

Would you say Beatles are the very best band? I'll have to check em out :)

-DR

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/03/05 at 8:54 pm

I was born in 1960 so I was a bit young to have truly experienced the 60's as an adult but having 2  olders brothers and 2 older sisters...I learned a lot from them. As Rhonda said and I agree, everything was so much more laid back, safe, fun and there was so much more respect for each other back then. I'm not knocking the more recent decades but I think society has really taken a nose dive since around 1992...what with all the crappy music...there is some good, kids with that booming "Garbage" that you can hear from blocks away, cussing, shootings, arguing about idiotic things like west vs east...oh wait, I guess I can summarize all that I've been saying in one term..."Thug Life"...a lot of rap is SO hateful, kids hear this crap and that's what they think the world is supposed to be like. I grew up in the 60's when a lot af groups sang about drugs but maybe parents were more connected with thier kids back them so they could guide them through and help them understand. Again, I'm not trying to knock parents of today...I was one myself, but I must say that being a parent or kid in THIS day and age is so much more difficult then it used to be. The world is going to hell and most Rap is leading the way...though we don't HAVE to listen to it ;)  I will say that every decade has had it's share of problems but I just think that life is not as safe as it once was...Okay...start the beating!

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/03/05 at 9:00 pm

I was born in 1960 so I was a bit young to have truly experienced the 60's as an adult but having 2  olders brothers and 2 older sisters...I learned a lot from them. As Rhonda said and I agree, everything was so much more laid back, safe, fun and there was so much more respect for each other back then. I'm not knocking the more recent decades but I think society has really taken a nose dive since around 1992...what with all the crappy music...there is some good, kids with that booming "Garbage" that you can hear from blocks away, cussing, shootings, arguing about idiotic things like west vs east...oh wait, I guess I can summarize all that I've been saying in one term..."Thug Life"...a lot of rap is SO hateful, kids hear this crap and that's what they think the world is supposed to be like. I grew up in the 60's when a lot af groups sang about drugs but maybe parents were more connected with thier kids back them so they could guide them through and help them understand. Again, I'm not trying to knock parents of today...I was one myself, but I must say that being a parent or kid in THIS day and age is so much more difficult then it used to be. The world is going to hell and most Rap is leading the way...though we don't HAVE to listen to it ;)  I will say that every decade has had it's share of problems but I just think that life is not as safe as it once was...Okay...start the beating!

Yeah hate sucks  :\'(  I hate hate.  I guess when the world seemed safer I was but a baby.  But my opinions is things aren't really more dangerous, people are just more paranoid.  But in a sense, that's almost as bad.  When I was a little kid in the mid to late 90s I couldn't go out at night and stuff.  I can barely remember the early 90s but they seemed a bit more carefree.  I got lost and ran home and although I wasn't supposed to be alone my parents said it was the right thing to do, or perhaps they just understood.  That was a long walk and I was only 4 (this was in 1994)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/03/05 at 9:26 pm

Yeah hate sucks  :\'(  I hate hate.   I guess when the world seemed safer I was but a baby.  But my opinions is things aren't really more dangerous, people are just more paranoid.  But in a sense, that's almost as bad.  When I was a little kid in the mid to late 90s I couldn't go out at night and stuff.  I can barely remember the early 90s but they seemed a bit more carefree.  I got lost and ran home and although I wasn't supposed to be alone my parents said it was the right thing to do, or perhaps they just understood.  That was a long walk and I was only 4 (this was in 1994)
Well I raised my boys...born from '82-'88 in a pretty nice neighborhood. The thing I never figured out is, my son Blaine loved to work and did from  the time he was around 10...while his best friend Jack was raised by 2 parents who made him a "Latch-key" kid. They were hardly ever around, he never worked and was a spoiled rich kid. In the meantime, we lived a meager existence, barely getting by sometimes, but I was lucky enough to be around my boys when they were very young...raising them is something that all the money in the world can't change. My ex and I switched off working and being at home. I'll always cherish the times I had with my boys. We DID have a family that lived  a couple houses away who kinda grew up with my kids...though they were a little older...anyway, the 3 boys all got into Rap and we'd always be woken up by Louie coming home from his 7-11 shift at 6 am with his booming garbage...now today as I talk to him and his brothers...they almost always say "Huh?" to me. I don't wish bad on anyone but that's what they get for cranking up the crap. YES, I rocked in my day but never that loud. It's almost like the kids have an insecurity if thier stereo doesn't get attention from blocks away ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/05 at 7:07 am

Im glad u liked your Brady Bunchesque memories of the 60s and 70s gemini61. Yet Im sure nostalgia plays a part in the view the 60s and 70s were so good. Ppl say there were so many social political events in the 60s but the 90s had its fair share as well. pop/rock Music tho, was still young and everyone was experimenting (and not just with music).

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/04/05 at 7:16 am

"Must EVERYONE love Beatles and the 60s decade as #1?"

No, everyone mustn't and furthermore don't (doesn't ?)  :-\\

I do though  ;D

Written By: karen on 03/04/05 at 7:34 am

I wouldn't say I rated the 60's as the best decade because I wasn't born until 1969 so have no personal experience of them.  I like some of the music that came out then but not all of it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/04/05 at 9:04 am

"Must EVERYONE love Beatles and the 60s decade as #1?"

No, everyone mustn't and furthermore don't (doesn't ?)  :-\\

I do though  ;D
Well Luke, so do I. But we both know a wonderful lady who chooses The "Wheel Chair Boys" over The Fab Four :D

Written By: AL-B on 03/04/05 at 12:42 pm

Someone here please explain why the 60s are the best.  I personally like the 80s best now.  8)

-DR
Park a '69 Chevelle SS396 next to an '82 Citation and you'll see why the '60s trounced the '80s.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/04/05 at 1:30 pm

Park a '69 Chevelle SS396 next to an '82 Citation and you'll see why the '60s trounced the '80s.
Or any model year of Corvette or '69 GTO next to a Chrysler "K" Car  :D

Written By: gemini61 on 03/04/05 at 3:41 pm

Im glad u liked your Brady Bunchesque memories of the 60s and 70s gemini61. Yet Im sure nostalgia plays a part in the view the 60s and 70s were so good. Ppl say there were so many social political events in the 60s but the 90s had its fair share as well. pop/rock Music tho, was still young and everyone was experimenting (and not just with music).

Hey, that's my life. And I'm lucky enough to say, that I did have a good life growing up. I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure you'll have fond memories of your life growing up in whatever decade. So, what's the problem?  :-\\ 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/06/05 at 12:55 pm

I really wouldn't say that the 60s was the BEST decade. I think the reason why many feel that is that it was a time when the baby boomers came of age so to speak. We realized that we had the strangth in numbers. However, it was a time of ciaos. The Viet Nam war was raging and the baby boomers were the ones who were dying in it. Many were rebelling against the establishment (which was sending very young men off to their deaths-and NOT by choice. There was a thing called the DRAFT). The rebellion took many forms-protests, drugs, and of course music. I was a bit too young to get involved with the protests or the drugs but the music was all around me. Yes, that included the Beatles-who were the leading group at the time. I'm sure that no everyone loved the Beatles but many did. That is why they had many #1 hits.

Cat

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/06/05 at 8:46 pm

I really wouldn't say that the 60s was the BEST decade. I think the reason why many feel that is that it was a time when the baby boomers came of age so to speak. We realized that we had the strangth in numbers. However, it was a time of ciaos. The Viet Nam war was raging and the baby boomers were the ones who were dying in it. Many were rebelling against the establishment (which was sending very young men off to their deaths-and NOT by choice. There was a thing called the DRAFT). The rebellion took many forms-protests, drugs, and of course music. I was a bit too young to get involved with the protests or the drugs but the music was all around me. Yes, that included the Beatles-who were the leading group at the time. I'm sure that no everyone loved the Beatles but many did. That is why they had many #1 hits.

Cat

My gen, the Echo Boomers (a few might call be Gen Z but I definitely see myself as Y), will probably make "South Park" out as the best show ever.  :P That will REALLY get on my nerves!

Written By: hot_wax on 03/12/05 at 12:19 pm

Cat

Hey Cat, you said it all. "It was the best of times it was the worst of times"  (to quote an author that I can't remember at the moment.) You had to live in the early sixties when guys were turning a teenager and from 13 years old and all thruogh junior high and through your high school years and until that fearing the day you turned 19 years because the waited for your draft notice the day after your 19th birthday. Viet Nam War looked liked it was going to go on forever and you did anything to stay out of the draft. College deferments were for the rich kids or the politians kids...if you couldn't do anything about it you were doomed to kill or be killed without a chioce and you were only a teenage kid. Live with that thought for half your born days of your exsisted life at that time and you can see why drugs, Beatles, wild sex, beach party movies, protest marches or anything that took your mind off of the "kill or be killed" brainwash mindset that was the destiny chosen for you by corrupted politians became the escape for millions of us kids in the sixties.

We partied hard and didn't give a rats ass if weed, smack, uppers downers, LSD or booze killed us this we invented the tem "SEX DRUGS and ROCK n ROLL" what else was there to live for at the time.

Thruogh it all it was the best time of my life I loved the action never a dull moment...if I could only live it over again I'd stay there forever.

Hot Wax

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/05 at 12:39 pm

Hey Cat, you said it all. "It was the best of times it was the worst of times"  (to quote an author that I can't remember at the moment.) 

Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities".  ;)

Written By: hot_wax on 03/17/05 at 9:49 pm

If you're just talking about everyday life in general, here's how my life was. Mom didn't work, dad worked   
9-5. We stayed outside and played all day, didn't have to lock the doors in my neighborhood. We all ate dinner together, at the kitchen table, not all at different times. Good cartoons  ;) Good music,   everyone knew their neighbors. That's what I'm talking about. I don't know about anyone else. It would take hours to explain, so that's why I said, "you had to be there".   :)

Gemini, you said it right and you paint a pretty picture of it too. Oh do I miss those days with the family together, today we have to much entertainment available for us to sit still for a moment and we're on the go constantly, but I sure miss those Sunday barbecues in the back yard with my parents aunts and uncles and all my cousins...only the memories now of those good times in the and 60's. Thank's for those memories.

Hot Wax 

Written By: PennyLane0630 on 09/02/05 at 7:47 pm

Someone here please explain why the 60s are the best. DR

Two words:

Music and revolution!  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...