inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most important criteria for a GOOD oldie

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/05 at 10:45 pm

The beautiful, smooth voices of the 60's (i.e. the Platters), for me, are what make oldies great.  I love a singer or group whose voice mesmerizes me and forces me to put all my problems out of my mind and just listen.

Next time you hear "The Great Pretender" by the Platters, just tune everything else out and listen to the voice.  It's beautiful.

You don't hear many voices like that in later decades.

Subject: Re: Most important criteria for a GOOD oldie

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/05 at 11:54 pm

The beautiful, smooth voices of the 60's (i.e. the Platters), for me, are what make oldies great. I love a singer or group whose voice mesmerizes me and forces me to put all my problems out of my mind and just listen.

Next time you hear "The Great Pretender" by the Platters, just tune everything else out and listen to the voice. It's beautiful.

I might add that Simon & Garfunkel have that great voice too, especially in Bridge Over Troubled Water

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/05 at 2:36 am

The melody. Old songs had simple, catchy melodies which were timeless; not like today's songs. Music was simple and musician's sang to have a good time. Also the voices - singers didn't try to do too many things with their voice  they just SANG THE SONG!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/06/05 at 3:13 am

For me it is the "memory it carries".

Written By: jaytee on 03/06/05 at 4:39 am

Easy to sing along ... but I do love the memories evoked.

Written By: Paul on 03/06/05 at 6:27 am

If it's in my age range, then it's the memory factor...

If it isn't, then it's a combination of tune/voice...for example...

Next time you hear "The Great Pretender" by the Platters, just tune everything else out and listen to the voice.  It's beautiful.

Agreed - Tony Williams was a class singer - you couldn't associate this song with anyone else's lead (and many have tried...)

Written By: gord on 03/06/05 at 8:32 am

I'd say it's everything you listed is the recipe for a classic song :)

Check for new replies or respond here...